Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WellFedHobo's '48 CJ2A project (#158011)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 31>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2022 at 9:03pm
So guess what? As it turns out, Omix-ADA T90 main gears and 2nd gears don't work right! When I bolted the freshly rebuilt D18 to the T90, the main shaft bound up. Shock! Maybe if I had a mill or lathe and was brave, I could machine them down just a couple thousandths to fit right. Or if I had a lot of time, patience, and sandpaper... I could hand sand it down maybe evenly.  But instead I grabbed a much more correct one from QTM and a NOS 2nd gear like I should have done the first time and will rebuild the T90 again. And a sealed front bearing this time, because why not? It's only money...

Edited by WellFedHobo - 25 Sep. 2022 at 10:39pm
Brad
1948 CJ2A #158011 "Sunk Cost Fallacy"
1945 T3-C #1431
WellFedHobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2022 at 8:37pm
The Dana 18 finally got finished. Took awhile but it's done.

The T90 is also finally done. It took 6 months to find the right mix of parts, but I think it's finally good to go. 

I think dad and I will probably do a rebuild on the Ross steering box before putting the engine back in. It just makes sense while the engine bay has more room for activities. 

I still mostly have no idea what I'm doing but I've learned a lot so far.

Edited by WellFedHobo - 24 Sep. 2022 at 8:47pm
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431
coastiereid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coastiereid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2022 at 8:49am
Keep going..Thumbs Up

My monster is I can't let it be and I keep adding to the todo list of my projects.

APRIL
1963 F100
1952 m38 "Salty"
52 M100 (DK) "Seabag"
Former MKC, NAVENG2,now LT (engineer officer) USCG. Served aboard 6 cutters, Recruit Company Commander and Operation Iraqi Freedom/New Dawn vet.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2022 at 5:10pm
Speaking of to-do lists... 

I'm looking at the steering box and it has been leaking for a long, long time. But that's not the end of it. Someone put a grease zerk on it, so that means it doesn't have the correct oil in it, it has grease. Which is probably why the wheel spins 6 inches before actually moving the tires. I already picked up a Crown sector shaft but it might need more. The pitman arm has also been swapped out for something else, the drag link is not correct for this Jeep as well, it's kinda bent but that might be normal? At least the bell crank seems original. I need to go look at manuals and examples to be sure. I'm guessing it was in a front end collision that messed up the bumper and steering which is why this jeep has a pretty beefy bubba front bumper and modified steering. 

The Jeep's nickname has pretty much been solidified as "Sunk Cost Fallacy". 

I can probably make what's there work for me. I've just become a vintage Jeep purist and I want it to be "correct". What's there is not "correct" but it is functional enough. 
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431
coastiereid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coastiereid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2022 at 7:12pm
Mine has about 3" of play max  after I rebuilt everything.before was way worse.
APRIL
1963 F100
1952 m38 "Salty"
52 M100 (DK) "Seabag"
Former MKC, NAVENG2,now LT (engineer officer) USCG. Served aboard 6 cutters, Recruit Company Commander and Operation Iraqi Freedom/New Dawn vet.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2022 at 12:20am
@WellFedHobo, how are your kingpin bearings?  If those are bad, replacing them will eliminate a huge amount of steering play.  I removed 180 degrees (out of 270) of steering wheel slop with that step.  Got rid of another 45 degrees with new bushings in the steering box.  Bellcrank bearings are next.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2022 at 9:19am
I would assume they're shot. But I can spin the wheel at least 6 inches and visually see no movement in the bell crank, so there's a steering box problem to solve before I move onto the knuckles and kingpins.

It might take me a decade but it's all going to get fixed eventually.
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2022 at 9:29pm
By then you'll have bought another 2A and that will need all the same stuff fixed.  Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2022 at 10:20pm
Funny you should mention that... There's a Willys MB that needs to be rescued about 45 minutes away. I don't have anywhere to put it though... Would have to take it apart, get it over the fence, and reassemble on the back porch... 

I'm really beginning to understand why people own several of these Jeeps though. I just wish my property situation was a little less... suburban... (At least there's no HOA. They'd have a stroke.)
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2022 at 12:32am
An MB that needs to be rescued?  SOMEBODY needs to rescue it.  Whom do you know who's nearby who can reach out to that MB and help?  Somebody start a telethon!  Big smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2022 at 9:43pm
The marketplace ad for the MB disappeared so someone picked it up, no telethon required.

I tore into the Ross steering box today and found more questions than answers. 

The last guy 30+ years ago put a grease zerk on it and crammed it full of grease. With the amount of play in the steering I fully expected the sector shaft to be toast... Well, I was wrong. 

It looks surprisingly fine. The shaft needs some light cleanup but it might actually be reusable! ...except I already bought a replacement shaft trying to think ahead. Oof. There's minor wear on the nubs that go into the worm gear but that's to be expected. 

The worm gear is coated in grease so I can't really tell its condition but it's likely just fine, having been protected by all that grease...

I do know that the pitman arm is wrong. Doesn't have a ball on the end. And since it's the wrong type, the drag link is wrong.

And since the drag link is wrong, this is obviously the wrong bell crank. 

And with the wrong style bell crank, that means that the tie rods... well, actually they look like they might be correct. But the tie rod ends are obviously leaking grease and have been since the 70s. So I'll probably do the right thing and just add more grease. 

The steering box is getting rebuilt regardless. Once reinstalled, I'll confirm that it has exactly the same amount of play as before, then I'll start trying to plan for more suspension parts...
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2022 at 9:26pm
After cleaning up the Ross box, it basically seems like I shouldn't have bothered. Functionally it was fine. The sector shaft polished up nicely. The worm gear wasn't too badly worn, and the bearings were basically perfect.

I'll get it back together soon. Painting is already happening.

The box looks rough but it's rough cast, so what can you do? It'll function the same. As it turns out, though, the outer steering tube is bent slightly. It's probably not enough to cause me too much trouble though. I think I'll just put it back together and send it.
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2022 at 8:10pm
My unnecessarily torn down and rebuilt Ross steering box is now unnecessarily clean.

Since it came with an "old school" steering wheel wrap, I put one back on.

And another totally unnecessary detail that no one will ever really see is the letter details.

Does it solve the steering problems I'm going to have? No. 

Does it serve any useful function? Also no. 

Does it enhance the safety of the Jeep? Not really, no.

Might be time to just drop the drivetrain back in and see if the rest is worth doing.
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2022 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by WellFedHobo WellFedHobo wrote:

My unnecessarily torn down and rebuilt Ross steering box is now unnecessarily clean.

But now you know what you have and the cleanliness is not a bad thing....and the lettering looks nice.

As far as the steering wheel, I have the same wrap and searched that particular one out...I think they are very comfortable.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2022 at 7:28pm
Got the steering reinstalled and as expected, there's no change. Upon further inspection, I'm afraid that the mount for the bell crank has been modified and a factory bell crank might not actually just bolt on. There's a bolt through the place where the key that holds the shaft in place is supposed to be. 

So aside from a little cleanup, I think we're just going to send it as-is. 

I've got a lot of little things to figure out here and there, but it's about time to figure out how to get the clutch/flywheel/pressure plate installed correctly and start bolting things back together. 
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2022 at 11:24pm

It's about time I got the engine and transmission back together. I've never done a clutch on anything before but it seemed straightforward enough. I didn't have an alignment tool but I did have the old input shaft... Good enough. Everything is to spec. I didn't realize there was an inspection port on the engine plate under the starter, but it's mostly covered. Not sure if there are different variants of blocks that allow you to use that hole or not, but my engine is not able to let me see most of it. 

The drivetrain is now back together. I'm still wondering if I've missed anything but with all the reading and videos I've watched so far, I think it's doing ok.

I did somehow manage to strip the brass 90 degree fitting to the PCV but I have another ready to go. 

Brad
1945 T3-C #1431
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2022 at 12:02am
How did you bolt the flywheel to the engine with pressure plate bolted down?  New pilot bearing? Rear engine plate?
Mike in AZ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2022 at 12:31am
Originally posted by Michaeltru Michaeltru wrote:

How did you bolt the flywheel to the engine with pressure plate bolted down?  New pilot bearing? Rear engine plate?

That was just staging it from a month ago. I pre-assembled it to protect the surfaces from Arkansas summer humidity while I waited to get to this point. The pilot bearing was fine. Engine plate is there, just not in the picture. (It's painted silver so you can see it in the bottom picture.)
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 31>