Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WellFedHobo's '48 CJ2A project (#158011)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 31>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2022 at 12:04pm
I wouldn't doubt that some part of it was Omix, which is probably why the brass fitting doesn't seal. Everything else is fine, no leaks, it's just the master cylinder...
Brad
1948 CJ2A #158011 "Sunk Cost Fallacy"
1945 T3-C #1431
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2022 at 12:37pm
Make sure the flare nuts are long enough to thread in & push the flared tubing against the seat. If you use too short of nut it won’t. 
They do make different length nuts. 
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
WellFedHobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2022 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by dasvis dasvis wrote:

Make sure the flare nuts are long enough to thread in & push the flared tubing against the seat. If you use too short of nut it won’t. 
They do make different length nuts. 

The flare nuts are long enough for sure. There's thread sticking out when they're on tight.

I know I've got some air in the lines now but when I press on the pedal, I've got brake fluid leaking out the boot on the back of the new master cylinder. That doesn't seem... ideal?
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2022 at 7:11pm
Sounds like a bad master.
Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2022 at 7:24pm
Could be the incorrect flare angle on one of the parts.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2022 at 8:42pm
As I’m sure you’re aware, it’s very easy to cross-thread these lines, those two in particular. Once cross-threaded into that brass block they’ll never go straight. When started straight in undamaged threads they should thread in by hand to the seat. A wrench should only ever be needed to tighten them, not to turn them in. 
I’ve seen those deep flare nuts on pre-made parts store lines, but ive never seen a place where they are needed. Since I usually(always) have to cut one end off anyway, I scrap the long nut and put on a short one. Why, you may ask? Well, because, that long nut is not original to a CJ2-A! 😆😎
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2022 at 8:52pm
I was careful not to cross thread them. I've checked and the fitting isn't damaged at all. 

With the master cylinder now apparently being defective and leaking out the back, I'm honestly feeling extremely defeated. I've been working on this thing for 2 years and I haven't been able to drive it once. And after how much money in new parts that I've put into it, it's a sunk cost fallacy at this point. That's why the Jeep is named "Sunk Cost Fallacy". I've got to stop throwing money at it at some point. It has been nothing but failure after failure after failure lately. The transmission case got cracked, the new tube in the spare tire failed, the spare tire carrier just doesn't fit (omix, go figure...), the brake lines won't seal right, and now the master cylinder is crap (and it's probably omix). I'm pretty much ready to give up on it. My goal was to have it driving so I could drive it up to my polling place and vote. But that's not going to happen at this rate. 
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2022 at 9:42pm
That's the cost of learning. Everyone has been there at one point.
 Once you finally get to the point of driving it the past will be behind you.
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2022 at 9:45pm
Don’t get down on your project. This is often how they go. My first restoration took eight years with all kinds of issues. My second took a year extra because of the idiots at the paint, engine and tuners. You will be happy and proud when it is done. Keep plugging on. You are almost there.

Micah

Edited by Steelyard Blues - 05 Nov. 2022 at 12:17am
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2022 at 5:18am
Originally posted by WellFedHobo WellFedHobo wrote:

I was careful not to cross thread them. I've checked and the fitting isn't damaged at all. 

With the master cylinder now apparently being defective and leaking out the back, I'm honestly feeling extremely defeated. I've been working on this thing for 2 years and I haven't been able to drive it once. And after how much money in new parts that I've put into it, it's a sunk cost fallacy at this point. That's why the Jeep is named "Sunk Cost Fallacy". I've got to stop throwing money at it at some point. It has been nothing but failure after failure after failure lately. The transmission case got cracked, the new tube in the spare tire failed, the spare tire carrier just doesn't fit (omix, go figure...), the brake lines won't seal right, and now the master cylinder is crap (and it's probably omix). I'm pretty much ready to give up on it. My goal was to have it driving so I could drive it up to my polling place and vote. But that's not going to happen at this rate. 

Don't give up! We've all been there. I've done two full frame offs back to back. Each took two years. Each almost got pushed out of the shop and lit on fire multiple times. I feel your pain! 

But you are almost there! That Jeep is making you earn it - like they all do. 

I'm coming up on two years with my column shift and I'm nowhere near close to driving it. So you're doing good! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2022 at 7:04pm
I needed a morale boost after the past week for a number of reasons so I worked on a few last minute items and got the Jeep running again. It helps if you remember to tighten down EVERY OIL LINE.... but I got it figured out pretty quickly. I realized that there wasn't a lot of stuff stopping me from running it. I just can't drive it because it can't stop on the steep hills of my neighborhood or my driveway. 

It still doesn't idle well. Don't know why. It's a brand new modern reproduction Carter WO. But it's got about 50 PSI of oil pressure when it runs. The transfer case drain plug leaked a little and the fill plug did a little as well. Got those tightened up. The cracked transmission still leaks a little, especially when the oil is warm. But I'll just deal with it for now. 

Basically if I had brakes, I would be able to back it down the driveway right now and go for a shakedown drive.
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2022 at 7:12pm
Mike would not idle well either when I first got it running.
 I found that I had a cracked intake manifold & it was leaking air.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2022 at 10:50am
It's running extremely rich based on the exhaust smell. It's rich enough to burn your eyes if you are standing behind it. I'm wondering if it's something like a weak spark due to worn out points and condenser. The coil, plugs, and wires are new but I still haven't gotten around to replacing the cap, rotor, points, and condenser. Not sure if it's incomplete combustion or what. The carb theoretically shouldn't need to be adjusted but I can go that route soon.
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2022 at 11:02am
Just ‘cause the carb is new doesn’t mean it’s set up correctly. Pull a spark plug or two to check for color. Choke is completely open when warmed up?
Mike in AZ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2022 at 8:16pm
New master cylinder is in. This one is from Joe's Motor Pool.  We'll see if it's better than the one I had. The pre-formed lines I had ordered don't fit all that well but with some extra bends, I think it'll work. I ran out of daylight and energy and I don't know if I'll have time to bleed them and check for leaks tomorrow but if the weather is good, I hate to jinx myself but I might actually be able to drive it soon.
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2022 at 5:17pm
Dad came by to help me bleed the brakes. No leaks! That brass fitting must have been wrong somehow. I swapped to another one plus new lines and it's all good. Took the dollies out and put it up on jack stands instead, fired it up, put it into gear.... and it seems that in my haste with too much enthusiasm, I neglected to recall how important it might be to check the differentials. The rear differential roared at us. It's gotta be dry. And based on the sound, it might have been dry for awhile. 

For a long time, it's been Schrödinger's differential. As long as I don't open the cover, it's fine, right? Well, it's time to open them up and make sure it's all good or bad.

Forgive my millennial ignorance, but on the front axle, when you put the Jeep into 4 low, should the wheels spin? Or do you have to lock the hubs for the wheels to spin? Because I had it in 4 low while up on jack stands and the front wheels didn't spin. And I'm concerned that project Sunk Cost Fallacy might not actually have a front differential, you know? Might have had the "glitter" conversion back in the 90s before it was parked. That would be par for the course.
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2022 at 5:50pm
Yes you need to lock the hubs to get the front wheels to spin.  Shifting the transfer case into 4WD (either low or high) connects the front driveshaft to the trans so the engine can spin the driveshaft.  But the front hubs connect the front wheels to the front axle.  Both ends need to be connected for it to drive.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2022 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by Nothing Special Nothing Special wrote:

Yes you need to lock the hubs to get the front wheels to spin.  Shifting the transfer case into 4WD (either low or high) connects the front driveshaft to the trans so the engine can spin the driveshaft.  But the front hubs connect the front wheels to the front axle.  Both ends need to be connected for it to drive.

Thanks for that. Makes more sense now.

As it turns out, the rear differential was full of fresh (1990s?) oil that didn't have a ton of water in it. There's evidence of a past catastrophic failure, very similar to the transfer case oil pan. There was always a booger weld on the front of the differential cover that seemed to indicate a patch, so that's at least confirmed. There's a ton of slop in the gears but the ring gear and pinion seem fine. The oil wasn't burned or anything. The bearings even spin fine. 

^Right click this one and open it in a new tab to get the full resolution. Looks a bit gnarly in the middle.

But it seems that the cause of all the horrific noise was actually the emergency brake. The ebrake is not engaged, basically everything but the backing plate is new, but the new pads SHOES always seemed too thick. I have the (new) adjusters turned all the way down as far as they will go but the pads SHOES still rub. It's like when I engage the brake, the pads SHOES work great. But when I disengage the brake, the pads SHOES don't fall back to where they need to go to be out of the way. I don't really know what else to do other than to run it on jack stands and let it wear down the pads SHOES? That'll generate some heat and piss off some neighbors but I'm at a loss as to what else to do.

Edited by WellFedHobo - 13 Nov. 2022 at 2:48pm
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 31>