Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WellFedHobo's '48 CJ2A project (#158011)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 31>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 11:23pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
WellFedHobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 10:08am
I missed out on the original top bows, looks like :/
Still haven't gotten my Omix set in.

Here is the video of the wheel-off incident from last Sunday. It could have been very, very bad... but it wasn't, so it serves as a nice little PSA instead. Once my stomach settles a little this morning, I'll be back in the garage pulling the hub and drum, inspecting, and replacing all the wheel studs and lug nuts on the left rear, then tightening them down just a little more than I think they need.

Brad
1948 CJ2A #158011 "Sunk Cost Fallacy"
1945 T3-C #1431
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 10:22am
Wow, very lucky!  Good PSA.
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 10:25am
You walked pretty good for a guy with a pantload...... Beer
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 10:46am
Maybe you should buy a lottery ticket while your luck is running in your favor. Wink
1946 CJ2A 14098
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 3:15pm
Might want to take apart and inspect all 4 wheels.
Might want to check calibration on your torque wrench as well.

Something caused it.

Never heard of a wheel that was properly "torqued and re-torqued" coming off that easy.
One or two loose lug nuts maybe. But all 5?

Tightening them down "more than you think they need" isn't necessarily a good idea.
I think the book says 60-75 ft-lbs.

Maybe some red loc-tite next time? LOL

One thing is for sure --- I bet you find yourself looking at lugnuts before plopping yourself into the drivers seat --- for a long time.

Good luck!

Edited by Ron D - 13 May 2023 at 3:27pm
1951 M38
1951 M100

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Ron D Ron D wrote:

Maybe some red loc-tite next time? LOL

I was seriously considering this. 

The only other explanation would be some malicious activity, but I haven't had the Jeep parked anywhere that was out of my line of sight for too long. I know it doesn't take long for someone with an impact and a jack to steal some wheels. This is Little Rock after all... but I really have no idea. It happened. Driving myself insane trying to find an explanation won't help. I'll fix it right and be extra vigilant about checking it. 
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 3:32pm
There is another possible explanation.
So there's zero chance it was "operator error" and you thought you torqued them but got distracted and didn't?

Knowing me myself, I'd tend to believe that before I thought somebody was trying to steal it or sabotage me.

Edited by Ron D - 13 May 2023 at 3:33pm
1951 M38
1951 M100

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 3:36pm

So there's zero chance it was "operator error" and you thought you torqued them but got distracted and didn't?

Knowing me myself, I'd tend to believe that before I thought somebody was trying to steal it or sabotage me.

I'm certainly not ruling out operator error. I'm usually hypervigilant when it comes to the details. I've had the wheels off and back on a few times for different reasons but I've always known to tighten them up while they're in the air and then retighten them once it's on the ground with weight on them, then check again after a few miles of driving. I might have messed up here. I'm human. But I don't think I did.
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 3:51pm
Are the studs on the left side still left hand thread?

I was traveling OR 30 once and a solitary wheel/tire combination was coming around the corner in the other direction towards me. Around the corner was a boat trailer off on the shoulder with a wheel missing. It happens.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 3:56pm
Pretty sure nobody here thinks it doesn't happen. LOL

The question is --- how does it happen?
Some people never try to answer it --- and are bewildered when it happens again. LOL

Edited by Ron D - 13 May 2023 at 3:59pm
1951 M38
1951 M100

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

Are the studs on the left side still left hand thread?

All 4 corners are right hand thread at this time.
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 7:56pm
I can't decide if I'm incredibly lucky or incredibly cursed. Maybe both.

I was going to take the Jeep out for the first drive since the wheel incident but I heard an odd noise while it was warming up. Took a look under the hood and saw the occasional spark from the pulley area. I immediately shut it down and took a closer look. Somehow I had lost the clamp on the front axle that holds the brake line in place. 

The brake line had somehow moved back and had gotten stuck under the pulley! I used a zip tie to pull it out of there but the damage is done.

It cut pretty deep into the brake line. It still holds pressure but there's no way I'm driving this thing anywhere with a brake line like that and a single reservoir master cylinder. So it looks like I get to pull out the brake flaring tool again and re-make this line tomorrow. So much for taking it to the local cars and coffee.

That's two trips to the local coffee shop that have been foiled by sh*t falling off the Jeep. Perhaps I should give up overpriced coffee. 
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 8:15pm
I had a Jeep years ago now where they brazed the brake line for some reason....I think it was on a front brake line too...I didn't think anything about as I have always heard stories about "Bubba was hear"...

Just think 50-60 years ago maybe a fix on your Jeep would have been a little brazing action on the front brake line...

I replumbed my ole heap with new lines before I drove it...

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 8:30pm
So glad you discovered it before hitting the road!

I had no idea that a properly formed brake line would have enough "spring" to reach the pulley if the clamp came off.
Did you use a tubing bender to form the line to the axle when you installed it?

Are the clamps in place on top of the pumpkin?

Next time use 2 clamps on the drivers side of the axle tube--- belt and suspenders.

Good luck!

Edited by Ron D - 19 May 2023 at 8:35pm
1951 M38
1951 M100

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 8:39pm

So glad you discovered it before hitting the road!

I had no idea that a properly formed brake line would have enough "spring" to reach the pulley if the clamp came off.
Did you use a tubing bender to form the line to the axle when you installed it?

Are the clamps in place on top of the pumpkin?

Next time use 2 clamps on the drivers side of the axle tube--- belt and suspenders.

Good luck!

This was one of the first brake lines I made when I was redoing brakes 2 years ago. I likely made it too long when I bent it to shape. but the two clamps on the pumpkin are there and there was only one clamp on the axle when I got it. But you bet I'll be doubling it up. 

I should really get a lottery ticket or two.

As for the reason it happened to begin with... The shocks are toast and the passenger leaf spring is shot. Every time I try to climb the hill to get up the driveway, the transition from road to driveway is really hard and it bounces off the bump stops. Everything bounces around when that happens.

Edited by WellFedHobo - 19 May 2023 at 8:46pm
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by WellFedHobo WellFedHobo wrote:

As for the reason it happened to begin with... The shocks are toast and the passenger leaf spring is shot. Every time I try to climb the hill to get up the driveway, the transition from road to driveway is really hard and it bounces off the bump stops. Everything bounces around when that happens.

In that case, you should also carefully inspect the 2 short rubber brake hoses at either end of the axle tube to make certain they aren't damaged or ripping out.

A properly installed and clamped to the axle hard tube line is supposed to be independent of the suspension.
The 2 rubber brake hoses on either end are there to flex with the suspension.

At least that's how I understand things to work.

Edited by Ron D - 19 May 2023 at 8:55pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by WellFedHobo WellFedHobo wrote:

I should really get a lottery ticket or two.

Given that you dodged two near-misses in as many weeks (tire departing while moving and a nearly cut brake line) that either could've been fatal, you might want to consider life insurance before the lotto ticket?

Both seem to be directly attributed to your work.
You might want to carefully and honestly examine your level of expertise for what you're trying to do.

And yes, I'd say this to your face if we were standing there together looking at your jeep.
Hopefully over a cold beverage.

Good luck!

Edited by Ron D - 19 May 2023 at 10:21pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 31>