Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What am I looking at? Help ID these parts.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What am I looking at? Help ID these parts.
    Posted: 07 Nov. 2017 at 2:19pm
I talked to a really nice guy that's about 20 minutes from me. He wants to sell this stuff as a lot.

I'm interested in a few of the small parts, and the axles are already gone. 

It looks to me like a couple of nice hoods (can you tell what they are?), and very little else... There are a couple gas tanks in there, but not for a 2A.

He really wants to get rid of it all in one sale.

What do you see here? Anything interesting?

The first image is everything packed in the trailer, the second image is all of the smalls laid out on a trailer. 

Several items are marked "MB"

Thanks for looking with me!

Steve

Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2017 at 2:28pm
Hard to tell but it looks like a rear seat in the top picture and set of bottom front seat springs.  Those are worth saving for sure.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2017 at 3:28pm
TOP PIC

Looks like original military muffler setting on top of original military fuel tank setting on top an original AC unit   HA Ha Ha !
4 low hoods all look to be military.
The rear axle is either M38 or M38-A1 so you should suspect it all to be military parts.
Likely a mix of MB and M38 stuff.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2017 at 5:23pm
I can tell you that the ring and pinions won't be worth anything unless the number etched on the head of the pinion matches the number on the ring gear. Dana Spicer manufactured each ring gear with a part number and a serial number. The part number on these ring gears would look something like 16XXX and the serial number would follow with a number from 001 through 999. They would then start repeating the serial number on subsequent production 001 through 999, and so on. So a matched set would have the same serial numbers on the ring and the pinion, for example 058, or 325...even though the ring gear and the pinion both have part numbers, that was just for identification in the factory and you could never buy just a ring gear...they are always supplied as sets because they are matched at the factory. Non-matching gears will produce a bad pattern and will only wear out prematurely.

In the production process the ring gear is put on a machine that meshes a pinion with it and when the pattern is correct, the serial number of the ring gear that it has been mated with is etched into the head of the pinion along with the depth measurement that gives a perfect pattern, a number normally somewhere between +3 to -3 but can occasionally be as high as +5 to -5. When the factory assembled these gear sets in a housing, a special gage measured the housing pinion depth and the assembler used this information with the head mark on the pinion to quickly determine the pinion depth shims to use to correctly get a proper pattern on the installed gearset without having to trial and error the pattern.

ANYWAY:

It is important that if you buy and intend to use or sell these ring and pinions that you determine which pinion belongs with which ring gear, otherwise they are just junk and not good for much except boat anchors.

Just so you know...

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 07 Nov. 2017 at 5:29pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2017 at 5:48pm
oldtime said: "The rear axle is either M38 or M38-A1"

How can you tell, Ken? Just curious. But, it looks like a full-floater to me anyway.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2017 at 7:05pm
I have to agree with Bruce, it looks like a Model 23 axle housing...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2017 at 10:58pm
Looks like a cj5 rear seat to me judging by all the foam and what I think I can see of the fabric pattern. I also think that rear is WWII but, it's gone anyhow according to OP. The hoods look good. I'd take one or all of those. There is a lot of scrap metal there probably in those brings and races and rusty ring and pinions. 
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2017 at 2:45am
Yeah I just glanced....... your right its a 23-2 rear axle meaning MB GPW.
Sorry about the mistake.... My eyes are getting old on me.
Before I  probably had the pic blown up big and cropping off the ends of the rear axle

Bruce I previously figured it was military issue by looking at the rear vented cover.
You likely know this but unlike civilian all  M38 and M38-A1 have vented D44 covers.

Edited by oldtime - 08 Nov. 2017 at 3:34pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Reply Post Reply