Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What did you do on your Jeep today - April 2018
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do on your Jeep today - April 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2018 at 10:56pm
But when it does warm up it'll jump right into summer, right? 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2018 at 4:32am
Rainy weather gave me some free time today, so I decided to work on some leaks in my cooling system. I had a couple leaky hoses, a heater hose to delete, and my radiator was weeping at the tank seam that I attempted a repair on. In classic fashion of one small project turning into 10, I found that the water pump had play in the shaft so decided to replace it too. Hopefully that would fix a squeak at idle I had thought was the alternator. 
  After finding a water pump in stock and returning home, I removed the old pump to find a previously broken bolt that goes through the timing cover into the block. (Jeep has a dauntless swap). So I spent most of the afternoon trying to free that bolt. I welded a nut on it, but it just broke the bolt off behind the weld. Twice. 
  The old water pump wasn’t leaking, so now I’m trying to decide between putting the new pump on as is, or pulling the timing cover to keep fighting that bolt. If I do that, I’ll also probably pull the intake off to fix a minor oil leak. A lot of work for a simple hose replace! 
On the upside, I think the radiator repair went well, but it’s too early to tell since it’s still out of the jeep. 
a3dhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a3dhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2018 at 2:58am
Had a good friend come over and give his time and ear to help diagnose an engine noise on the new engine. Ended up pulling the oil pan and finding a spun bearing. Not what I wanted, more like what I feared but at least I can work on getting this thing fixed and on the trail now.
CJ3B, 4.3L
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2018 at 2:38am
      Sometimes ya get lucky sometimes.....I thought I was going to have a full set of original gauges but water temp. doesn't work. The repop I bought about 25yrs ago works great (checked with candy thermometer) metric nuts, made in japan shows on bottom. anyone know if the original is worth fixing? Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2018 at 4:37am
Originally posted by wadoyado wadoyado wrote:

"...anyone know if the original is worth fixing?"

A purist / originalist would say definitely yes.  He or she would likely know how to do it and have experience, too.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2018 at 2:55am
Yesterday it jumped to 88 degrees so I drug my '46 out and drove it to my grandkid's Little League baseball game.  So very nice!!!
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2018 at 2:50pm
I've been working on installing a throttle body injector in place of the carb on the Pinto engine in my Blue Mule.  I finally got all the connections complete except the oxygen sensor, and now it's ready to start.  I fired it up yesterday but it would not stay running.  I checked my distributor setting and found that it was 1-2 degrees off top dead center.  I reset it to exactly top dead center and fired it up again.  This time it ran smoothly and continued running.  A quick check of the codes and all was good.

The TBI is from a 1990 Chevy 350ci truck.  There is an adapter plate between the TBI and the intake manifold.  The next step is get it up to temperature and check all the settings in the electronic control module (ECM).  After that I've got to get it to my muffler shop to have a new exhaust pipe made with a port in it for the oxygen sensor.  Then I'll be able to give it the fine adjustments needed to make sure it's at it's best performance for this engine.   But I'm already encouraged that it'll serve me better than the carb I took off because it's settled into a nice smooth idle at about 600 rpm.  I could never get the carb to idle below 1000 rpm because most of the anti-pollution connections were disconnected.

I bought this kit from Hamilton Fuel Injection, and except for having to extend a couple wires, everything fit together perfectly.  I'm really looking forward to getting out on the road with this fuel system in place.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2018 at 11:05pm
After having a "H" "E" "double hockey sticks" of a weekend, the girlfriend and i stopped at the apartment and i tried starting the Cherokee. It instantly fired up. Confused Monday I could  not get it to start at all, thought maybe i messed up the new fuel pump. ( Accidentally ran the one tank dry, the gauge was showing what I had in the other tank.)

Anywho I put the tow bar on the CJ2A and towed it to our new house.
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2018 at 9:50pm
I wrapped up my rear axle disk brake swap Monday afternoon.

Now I need to get the cowl gasket to seal. I's been raining like mad these last few weeks. I'm soaked from the knees down just making a 20 mile highway run...
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2018 at 12:21am
I aired up the flat tires, checked the oil and found it nasty, with some trace of water.
Took time to check out the oil filter to see which one I will need and ordered one.
It is still a long way from running, but after sitting for 20 years, I am close to being ready to at least turn the engine over and decide where I go from there.

Thanks to this forum I am able to appreciate how very complete and original it is.

I counted 5 places the will need small patches on the tube as well as front floor on both sides.
Not bad for 72 years of living alone and neglected outside.
1946 CJ2A 14098
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2018 at 1:31am
I got some serious progress made on my fancy Defroster Duct that will run along the bottom of the windshield. I figured out a real neat way to hold it in place with no screws or anything showing on the outside of the Windshield Frame.

Next big challenge is to drill holes to weld the bushings in place for the fancy Street rod style  Windshield wiper transmission boxes that will be hidden inside the Defroster duct. This one is costing me more then time to make I have nearly $60 in aluminum and rivets in it. But it will be so cool when done.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2018 at 4:14pm
Today I'm rehabing my Dualmatic hubs. Got them torn down for cleaning and repaint. I've got new gaskets and decals coming. I'm going to use white paint to fill in the lettering on the levers. Hopefully they'll be easier for my tired old eyes to see. 

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2018 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

But when it does warm up it'll jump right into summer, right? 

Apparently not!  It was about 50 deg on Thursday.  Today there's about 3" of snow so far, 7" more supposedly coming, with 50 mph winds blowing it around.  I was hoping to put the front diff back in my Bronco, but that ain't happening yet!
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2018 at 11:08pm
I tried a couple different methods to paint the lettering on the Dualmatic hub levers. I think this will work. They will be a lot easier to see than when they were filled with rust Smile

48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2018 at 1:24am
Welded new shock mounts to the rear frame. Adjusted the clutch cable to try and get rid of a slight vibration/noise I can hear until I depress the clutch pedal about 2 inches, but that didn't really work. Bent the distributor spring tabs out a little to try and tighten the springs a little bit. Won't know if that worked til I can get up to speed (35 blazing miles per hour). Pulled the rivets from the rear replacement floor, bead of caulk on the panels and re-riveted, with additional rivets to dampen some rattling there. Oh, and drilled out the front bumper holes to reattach to the  repaired frame. At that point the firewood gave out, started working on some interior door hardware for tomorrow's project, which will be in the house. Three inches of ice today, 45 mph winds gusts, calling for 7 inches of snow tonight. Lucky to have gotten this much done today. Have to appreciate a family that will let you burn a day in the garage and not give you a hard time for it.
And figured out the rear leaf springs are both shot. Of course. But still, some progress.
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2018 at 1:29am
More wiring. Got the front lighting complete. Tomorrow - I think I'm tackling the turn signals. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2018 at 1:32am
ndnchf, hubs look good. I've got one of those hubs on the front right wheel. I've had the hub off, but don't really get how they work. The arms that have 'lock' written on them-are they supposed to move in order to lock and unlock the hubs? Dumb question, just no experience with them.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2018 at 1:50am
You pull the levers out, then rotate the pins 180 degrees and snap them back in place. One edge of the levers shows LOCK, the other  side shows FREE.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>