Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What did you do on your jeep today? - August 2018
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do on your jeep today? - August 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What did you do on your jeep today? - August 2018
    Posted: 01 Aug. 2018 at 6:36pm
Another new month.
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2018 at 10:17pm
For the month of August, people in MI with a historical plate can legally drive anywhere and time, planned on mostly road driving for the 48, so I'm taking full advantage. First pic is of downtown area of Grand Rapids MI from the river(only person walking on the bridge was this very pretty gal comes walking up to me----Meter Maid as the meter was flashing, she liked the jeep, let me go!) Second pic is the park down the road(2mi) from my house, any jeep travelers should make your way here, know yee this is jeep friendly(especially flatfenders) territory. Any jeeper is welcome I have tools welders if needed can also be your guide. Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2018 at 3:00am
Now you're just showing off!  LOL.  Just kidding Joe.  Great pic with the 6th st bridge.   Will I see you at Jeep Night tomorrow?
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2018 at 3:38am
Just curious, what are you not allowed to do the other 11 months?

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2018 at 10:53am
Pete, hope I wasn't showing off, seems like everytime I get a little cocky about one of my vehicle something happens to wipe the smile off my face . Going to try for jeep night tonight, hope to see you there.             Micah, a MI historical plate rules state "used only for events such as historical club activities, parades, and car shows" with the note "not for routine transportation". Most people I know with historic plates on their cars and motorcycles this has never been an issue, but technically speaking, leaving a bar especially I could be pulled over and questioned. With the OUIL laws and outrageous insurance in MI, I try and follow the letter of the law. Joe W

Edited by wadoyado - 02 Aug. 2018 at 11:16am
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2018 at 12:06pm
Virginia has similar restrictions on antique plates, but with one glaring loophole that allows for "Occasional pleasure driving, up to 250 miles from your home address."

"Occasional" is pretty vague.... Big smile

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2018 at 12:27pm
Not to start a debate here. But I have never understood the special use/antique plates thing. Oregon has both a special use plate and antique plates as well as allows a vehicle to be registered with the date on the title plates (a 1948 Jeep can use 1948 plates) but with the restrictions I don't see the advantage past them being cheaper then regular issue plates. I guess as I plan on driving CHUG a lot this makes a big difference for me.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2018 at 12:29pm
Joe, nice photos!  Whats "OUIL" laws?
Thanks

Rick Estes
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2018 at 1:16pm
Eestes1, Ouil means operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs, "drunk driving". Mark W, besides not having to register your vehicle every year, insurance rates are a lot cheaper for a historic vehicle(MI has some of the highest rates in the country). ndnchf I wish we had that loop hole Joe W
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2018 at 3:09pm
Nevada has some specialized plates. I have "Classic Rod" plate on the 71 Maverick. I would rather not have it and have my personalized plate back, 71Mavrk. Unfortunately, I could not get my EFI 347 to pass smog. The specialized plate limits me to 5,000 miles a year and does not require it to be smogged. No restrictions on when I can drive it. The Jeep and the Jag are pre smog and have personalized plates: 63Jag and 47Jeep.

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2018 at 4:59pm
Drained and flushed the radiator this AM on "Popeye" the M38.  The water was black, no oil.  I will run water till the end of the month then flush and put in antifreeze  and  water 50/50 for winter.  Always something to do on an old Jeep.
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2018 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by 64CJ5 64CJ5 wrote:

Drained and flushed the radiator this AM on "Popeye" the M38.  The water was black, no oil.  I will run water till the end of the month then flush and put in antifreeze  and  water 50/50 for winter.  Always something to do on an old Jeep.

Although I have run with only water it isn't really a good idea because anti freeze lubes the bearing and seal in the water pump.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2018 at 6:54pm
OUiL- thanks,Joe
Rick Estes
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2018 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

Originally posted by 64CJ5 64CJ5 wrote:

Although I have run with only water it isn't really a good idea because anti freeze lubes the bearing and seal in the water pump.

Jim

Are you saying that coolant actually runs through the bearings? I thought the seals were lubed by the coolant, but they isolate the bearings from the coolant. Am I mistaken?
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2018 at 9:12pm
    You are correct about the bearings being sealed from the coolant .

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2018 at 11:07pm
Still, IMHO, it would be a good idea to get some antifreeze in the CJ sooner rather than later.
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2018 at 11:57pm
I just received my IAD-4008 back from Kurt Hostetter at Willys Distributors, who is located just up the road from me. I sent it in for a complete rebuild and as you can see, I don't think Auto-Lite turned them out this good. Looking forward to swapping out the decades old Century distributor, as I don't feel it was in the greatest working condition. He even asked me if I wanted it date coded and he obliged by giving it the 10-A stamping, which is as close to when mine rolled off the Toledo assembly line in late October of '46 as you can get. Thanks for a great job Kurt and if any of you guys need yours rebuilt, he's the guy. I'm going to try the removal and install this weekend if I can squeeze in a block of time.

Tim

Original date code from this distributor which I purchased from an Ebay seller.

New date code on the rebuild.

1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2018 at 3:41am
I didn't do anything with my Jeep today.  But I was fortunate enough to lean on Joe Wadoyado's Jeep tonight.  It was nice finally meeting you in person Joe.  Hopefully I'll still get my '48 going in time for a get together this year.

09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>