Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What did you do on your jeep today? - August 2018
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do on your jeep today? - August 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R Hayden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2018 at 4:29am
I finally finished getting the front bumper painted and new winch installed with synthetic cable on my 48 CJ2A.
 Starting at the front and working my way to the rear on clean up and maint. Need to get pictures to post.
 Talked with the wife about changing the color to a deep blue, instead of the bright blue that it is now.
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2018 at 2:22am
Fitted the new brake drum on the left side. Had to build a special tool to bend the small "s" tube for the brake cylinder. The bends weren't quite right. Sand blasted the spring packs and primed them. Blasted what I could on the hood and tailgate. The rest is going to be paint remover or the sander. Tomorrow will be fitting the front axle back in place after replacing the bushings. 
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2018 at 12:13am
Veronica is out of the shop! Started working on her in February, now she is a rolling, running chassis. Still have to install the hard brake lines and wiring. Then dive into the body work. It was a good day.
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2018 at 12:15am
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2018 at 12:21am
Working on the trans tunnel cover. I had to take two covers and cut them up to make one that fits. The holes on an early column shift tub don't match a later cane shift trans tunnel cover. Due to the somewhat custom nature of my tub nothing I had would work. 

Anyway, I built one that fit. Then i body worked it a bit until I was happy. I painted it last night. Then i did the final top coat around 7 this morning. Almost instantly the paint lifted. So I let it cure all day. Then sanded it down to clean up the mess. I'm about to go out and do the final coat. It's far from perfect. But I'm running with it. If i fiddle with this much longer, I may lose my mind!!
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2018 at 12:26am
I went to Home Depot, made another stop, then back home. I changed the oil right away, while it was hot. Then refilled with Rotella 15-40 and a pint of Lucas break in oil with zddp to keep the cam and tappets happyBig smile
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2018 at 1:41am
I got the inside of the windshield frame painted (photos in my project thread) So I have now painted all of the body panels and pieces.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
redrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2018 at 3:24am
I have gotten many different things done, I got most of the gauges installed, put in the radiator, mounted the resister, ran the wire harness, mounted and hooked up the electric fuel pump, put in the fuel tank, and mounted new peddles.  Tomorrow is start date.  It has been 10 months on work.  I want to make sure all is well before putting the fenders, windshield, hood and grill on it.  
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid.”
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2018 at 5:04am
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2018 at 8:18am
I went out and kicked the tires on mine, WTF, I need a new master cylinder. The last one on it lasted well over 30 years and the darn thing decides to fail I will say It made for an interesting trip a few weeks ago before I got it home. At least I didn't run into anything. I have gears and I know how to shut the motor down.
uncamonkey
redrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2018 at 2:16am
I got the fenders put on, got it started and running for about 20 minutes, and the high light of the day was put out a fire under the dash when the new fuel gauge had a short.  No paint damage.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2018 at 3:48am
Originally posted by redrunner redrunner wrote:

...the high light of the day was put out a fire under the dash when the new fuel gauge had a short.

You're an excitement junkie, aren't you?  Big smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2018 at 5:48am
We can all learn things like don't try to pull red hot hot wires with your bare hands. I did that a couple times and had the scars to show for it. The carburetor floods and the top of your motor is on fire. You get it out and go home to replace wiring that is cooked and fix the carb. Simple things I learned over the years
uncamonkey
redrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2018 at 3:29am
I started to chase the wires from the front to the back and tired to id which wires for which light.  I got the head light buckets and front marker lights in but not hooked to the main harness.  

You're an excitement junkie, aren't you?  Big smile

Nothing like a little excitement to get the heart pumping.  I have already done the fire damage thing in my building so.....no I try for different excitement now!
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2018 at 3:35am
Started running the new brake lines. Finally got the "s" tubes bent so they fit correctly. 
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
redrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2018 at 1:46am
Got the head light buckets traded for other ones I had in my parts bin, with the new bezels installed.  Got the wires put in but the junction block on the fender broke.  I now get to re-manufacture it tomorrow.
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2018 at 1:53am
Started building clamps to bolt to the front bumper on "Popeye" to hold a high lift jack.  I have carried these jacks on my other two Jeeps for years and have never had to use them.  Like the other tools and parts carried and hopefully never used. 
On a run in July in the Bear Lodge Mts. my fuel pump on "Eeyore" quit.  I did not have one but each of the three Jeeps we were with had one.  They sure saved our day.  Thanks! 
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2018 at 3:44pm
Last night, installed the new clutch and reinstalled the engine and trans.
Today, hooking it all back up.
Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>