Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What did you do on your jeep today - February 2018
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do on your jeep today - February 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSG Keane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2018 at 2:45pm
New foam and covers on Nellebelle seats
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2018 at 5:30pm
I love red upholstery. I used mine as a table
markcl52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markcl52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2018 at 1:19am
Removed my transfer case so that I can get to the trans. Trans needs a rebuild because it pops out of second. Debating on what to do with the transfer case. It seems to be operating ok but leaks like a sieve and since it’s out I should go through it. I hate scope creep. Also debating lifting off the tub so I can clean and paint frame. But then I know it will be down and out for a while. 

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2018 at 2:01am
More body work. I have the both fenders top and inners ready for Hi Build Primer.

And I now hate a guy I have known for years. He had to go an post a photo of his beautiful CJ5 with its completely smooth firewall and now I have to have mine look like that. MORE WORK Well except for all the pull cables and such that will be going through it.

I also made up two Headlight switch knobs (I'm using two GM chevelle type headlight switches to control all my various lights.) This involved reaming out the threaded centers to fit the Triangle shaped stems the GM switches use and then cross drilling for a 8-32 set screw. I also rolled the sharp edge off the knobs so they are almost identical to original Willys knobs.

I also worked a little more on my Heater Air control Vent box. Just waiting on the Defroster vent tubing to show up hopefully tomorrow so I can finish the thing up.

Tomorrow I think I am going to pull the Front clip off and get ready to do the Filler on the Grill. And I think a bunch of cleaning up. I also need to rig up some sort of stand or table to finish the work on the Fenders I still need to PC-7 Epoxy seal all the outer seams.

Busy busy no telling when work will come calling and I'll be down to a hour or two in the evening and at least for a while two weekend days. I fear this year will be another banner year so many 60 hour weeks.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2018 at 12:47am
I took mine out of the garage and took it for a ride.  My grandson needed picking up from school so it was a good excuse to take it out.  Weather has been in the low to mid 80's for the past week.  Cool
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
shulls1stcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shulls1stcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2018 at 4:54am
Getting ready for brake swap.  
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2018 at 7:52pm
How do you guys add lube to the knuckles? I mean how do you do it?  I've read a zillion threads on what kind of lube to use, but I've seen very little on how to add it.  I picked up a couple tubes of John Deere Corn Head grease.  I was thinking I'd just use my grease gun with the zerk coupler removed, and stick the end into the filler hole and pump away.  I saw somewhere that Sean said it takes 8 ounces per knuckle.  Maybe I'm overthinking it, but looking to hear what works for you. Thanks Steve  
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2018 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

How do you guys add lube to the knuckles? I mean how do you do it?  I've read a zillion threads on what kind of lube to use, but I've seen very little on how to add it.  I picked up a couple tubes of John Deere Corn Head grease.  I was thinking I'd just use my grease gun with the zerk coupler removed, and stick the end into the filler hole and pump away.  I saw somewhere that Sean said it takes 8 ounces per knuckle.  Maybe I'm overthinking it, but looking to hear what works for you. Thanks Steve  

I just buy the pouches of CV lube that your FLAPS sells. Cut the corner of the pouch off and squeeze it into the plug hole. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
shulls1stcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shulls1stcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2018 at 8:31pm
From what I have seen on this sight, it is recommended to fill to the fill plug which is about 1 tube per side.  If I am wrong someone please correct me. Especially since I am disassembling every thing next weekend.
Thanks
Steve
markcl52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markcl52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2018 at 8:43pm
I used JD corn head grease. Emptied the tube into a zip lock bag. Cut the corner off and squeezed it into the plug hole like I was frosting a cake. It was really messy and hard to get it all the way in. Using a grease gun might allow you to get it further into the knuckle. 
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2018 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

That's what I did - the grease gun trick. Took several million pumps. But it was a no mess operation. I"d do it again.
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2018 at 9:55pm
Here's another way I could try. It's like a big syringe for sucking old oil from the bottom of the oil filter canister. Pull the handle and it sucks oil out, push it and it squirts out. I don't know how it would work with pudding. Anybody tried this?
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2018 at 10:38pm
The way I did it was take the back piece (cup) out of a caulking tube and cleaned all the caulk out and filled it with the pudding mix and put the cup back in the tube and used a caulking gun to install the pudding. Use a rod to push the cup back out to refill it. Worked nice.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2018 at 2:01am
Load tube in grease gun, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump,  and pump till about 3/4 tube. Then go to the other side pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump and pump. Drink beer. Load new tube in gun and pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump and pump for another 1/2 tube.

Drive around in 4wd and check level. No mess. No problem. No need to overthink. Your arm will be sore though.

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2018 at 3:57am
I did the same thing as @nofender and @Steely.  Turned the wheels all the way left or right to pump the pudding more or less right into the CV joint--although I didn't do it today.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2018 at 11:13am
My arm aches just thinking about this!  I may try the syringe/injector thing.  I can take it apart to clean out the old oil and fill it with pudding.  So long as the pudding is warm, I think it will flow. I've used this thing a couple times and it works quite well.  I wonder if the corn head grease tube would fit right in it, just like the grease gun.... I need to check on that.

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2018 at 3:28pm
I pulled the fill plug from a knuckle and found that it was already pretty full with grease. But I don't know what kind. Its brown and a little thicker than the green corn head grease. Glad to see it wasn't empty, but I'm wondering if I should just leave it for now. I don't want to tear down the whole thing just to empty it and refill. It doesn't look like there is an easy way to clean it out otherwise. 
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2018 at 5:40pm
It sounds like there used regular bearing grease that is too thick for the knuckle.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>