Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What did you do on your jeep today? - July 2018
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do on your jeep today? - July 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 9:08pm
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 9:09pm
Replacement panel welded in to the frame...
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 3:24am
Looks good!  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 11:53pm

Today, I finally procrastinated long enough, I replaced the rear yoke and seal. My hours long adventure getting the front transfer case flange seal out has left me shy of wanting to tackle this one. The coating of oil on the underside was just getting to be too much. I had to degrease her before starting.

Getting it apart was not too bad this time. The neighbor’s impact wrench took the nut off in is second. I had to use a two-jaw puller to get the yoke out. Next came the seal.

This time, I used my Dremel and a cutoff wheel to slice up the seal to the point that I could get ahold of it and pry it out.

The yoke had a nice groove in it.

Only a couple issues getting it back together. The paper seal did not fit the new style metal seal. I had to stretch it over the metal lip. I got the seal in a little cocked but straightened it back in line. I think it is in OK. I wanted to put some Permatex #2 on the splines but the fit was so tight that I thought I needed some grease on it to get it to slide in. I had to hammer the yoke in place. Another new yoke was just as tight.

The gear oil had about 1,500 miles on it. I was surprised it was as dark as engine oil. I replaced it. Maybe it flushed out some old contamination.

The only bummer was what the degreaser did. I used it when I first got the Jeep to remove years of grease and dirt. The result was about 95% of the original Luzon Red paint being visible on the underside. It was surprising and kind of cool. This time, the degreaser ate some areas down to bright metal. I had to put some self-etching primer on it to keep it from rusting.

Also put some silicone and aluminum tape over the split seam on the muffler.

No test drive yet. I’m hoping it was a successful day.

Micah

You can see the shiny metal of the floor pan.

1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 2:20am
Today was pretty good. I rigged up my 3 year old’s car seat in the back of the jeep and we went for his first jeep ride out of the neighborhood. We went up to the store a few miles away and ate lunch. 

When we got back I let it idle a while to see if it would run hot with the new shroud on it. After a while it died and I couldn’t get it to restart. I wasn’t getting fire for some reason, so my first reaction was a condenser. I tried a couple spares with no change. Eventually I found that the coil had gone bad and replaced it with a spare I had. It fired right up and ran great after that. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 7:00am
@Steely, I see that you are missing at least one axle bump stop.  You have the 1" extension, though.  You have to wonder what that Jeep was expected to do that it needed the extension...
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 1:16pm
My '2A has the bumpstop extension also.   Is that unusual?   I just assumed they all had them. 
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 6:55pm
Unreliable,
I have four new ones sitting on the worktable. Just another project waiting for the time to do it. More worried about leaks since I don't do much off roading. I did not know that there was an extension in place. I assumed it was normal. So, I take it this was something added from the factory?

The yoke appears to have successfully sealed up. Just to remind me she is a cranky old girl, I started getting a couple drips from the rear flange again. Even with the new seal, it has done that a couple times and then gone away. Seems to coincide with forgetting to take the parking brake off.

Thanks,
Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 9:50pm
OMG - what am I getting myself into?

I have an extra T90, so I decided to tear it apart. My thoughts are to rebuild it and a spare transfer case, then swap them with what's in my jeep now. I followed Novak's guide to disassemble it. Dang there's a lot of parts n pieces and roller bearings all over the place. I hope i'm not in over my head. But it sure will be a learning experience!

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 10:38pm
I finally got the old, rusty parking light sockets out. Then I made up a list of parts  to order .
Rick Estes
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 10:53pm
Got up and out to the shop about 6am. Sanded the sealer on the inside of the windshield frame as well as the Hi Build primer on the outside. Then debated if I should seal the outside or color coat the inside (still trying to decide on what black to use) so I sealed the outside which of course I got a couple runs in so it will have to be sanded smooth before a color coat goes on NEXT Sunday.

Getting pretty tired of dealing with Paint. I want to build something.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

OMG - what am I getting myself into?

I have an extra T90, so I decided to tear it apart. My thoughts are to rebuild it and a spare transfer case, then swap them with what's in my jeep now. I followed Novak's guide to disassemble it. Dang there's a lot of parts n pieces and roller bearings all over the place. I hope i'm not in over my head. But it sure will be a learning experience!

that looks like a blast, and a good learning experience. I hope to do this with mine when its pulled.
1947 CJ-2A Willys
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 11:05pm
Hey ndnchf
Just remember spare parts is ok, it's when you come up short it's a problem. I have one of those
in my basement and was thinking about doing the same thing (rebuild it when I can take my
time and not being rushed.).

As for the day I final got back to setting up my jeep with the new carb. you know turn a screw here
adjust a littler there and then do it all over until it seem to be running right.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 11:21pm
I enjoy learning new things, and this transmission will be an education. It came out of an oddfire V6 jeep, so it has the long input shaft. I need the short version. The front bearing retainer was missing too, I've been told that it is not used with a v6 conversion. So I'll need to find one also. I plan to powerwash the case and clean all the bits and pieces. Then inspect everything and see what is needed. I plan to buy a Novak kit, plus whatever else is needed.

I've been reading the Novak guide and started watching the Rick Stivers video series. There is a lot to learn!
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
cjbilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cjbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 12:58am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Originally posted by cjbilly cjbilly wrote:

Likely a sea of
JK's and JL's will be in the parking lot.

Good, that will almost guarantee you will be the hit of the show!

Won the OLDEST JEEP award. There were a few mid-70's CJ's in attention too. Yes....the 2A turned a few heads. 
It was a fun day for a good cause.

Edited by cjbilly - 16 July 2018 at 1:08am
1984 CJ7
1946 CJ2A- Supersonic motor
1948 CJ2A- Ramsey DP-1 shifter,PTO,front Ramsey MX200-R winch, Newgren lift
1955 Sears Trailer
1955 CJ5- PTO/belt drive,farm weight
1954 CJ3B- trencher,front blade

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 1:51am
That is the coolest trophy I've ever seen!  Congrats on winning it!  Clap
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 2:04am
Continued test driving, first to the local park by the Grand River that empties in lake MI. about 30mi downriver, then to the DQ with wife and her sister(just like 50 yrs ago. Tightened the fan belt and temp never got over 180 degrees, Found the original rear seat with original upholstery not bad shape .Still can't believe I have a running jeep again. Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 2:06am
that's beautiful!!!!!
1947 CJ-2A Willys
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>