Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do on your jeep today - May 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 3:30pm
Nice find Joe, I love the patina. Just can’t have to many. 

Think I found my issue with my lefty not charging all the time. Up to now every time I would check it it would be charging but would still run down if one of the kids were using it. I used it to do chores this morning and on the way home it was not charging so I left it running and checked battery voltage, 6.33  volts and slowly dropping. Generator was putting out 8.1 and the regulator was putting out the same. Amp meter was not showing charge either. 6.2 volts out of it. In the prosess of checking the gauge I found a lose connection coming out of the amp gauge. 

That has taken over a year to find. 

Mike

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 5:16pm
I've been doing a serious re-work of a number of features on the Blue Mule to get it ready for this coming Jeeping season.  One of the things I wanted to do is put a T90C tranny in it.  So I took a T90A to a good friend who likes rebuilding T90's and along with a couple special parts, he did his magic and produced a T90C for me.  Yesterday I towed the Mule to his shop and we committed surgery.  We removed the the T90A, changed the brake over to the T90C, and installed the T90C.  Lots of work for one day, and two old guys.  

After we got everything connected I took it for a test drive in the rain.  Yup, it shifts like it's supposed to.  I'm going back to his shop tomorrow so we can adjust brakes and replace some failing brake lines.  I'll give it a much more thorough test drive then.  I've been thinking about making a tag for the tranny out of a blank GI dog tag with the date of rebuild and that it's a T90C.  That way when I'm old (er) and feeble, and need tranny work done, we'll know what I've got inside the case, and when we built it.  

Edited by m38mike - 03 May 2018 at 5:37pm
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 5:57pm
Mike: What is the technical difference between a T90C and T90A--does the C have upgrades in key areas, or just a more recent version?
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by russn Running out of money for the 48 project so I did the only logical thing I could think of and bought this 46 2a, tool indents looks to be original hand cranker came with. More pics when I get her home. Joe W[/QUOTE russn Running out of money for the 48 project so I did the only logical thing I could think of and bought this 46 2a, tool indents looks to be original hand cranker came with. More pics when I get her home. Joe W[/QUOTE wrote:

What the serial number? Looks like an early one.

What the serial number? Looks like an early one.
[/QUOTE]            I'll have to get back to you on that I looked at it but don't remember it. Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

Mike: What is the technical difference between a T90C and T90A--does the C have upgrades in key areas, or just a more recent version?

I had the same type of question a while back. Lots of technical discussion in this thread when I asked about it.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

I had the same type of question a while back. Lots of technical discussion in this thread when I asked about it.

LuzonRed47,  Bottom line, the big difference between a T90A and a T90C is the gear ratio for 1st and 2nd gear, and reverse.   First gear ratio in the A is 2.79.  For the C it's 3.34.  Second gear ratio for the A is 1.55.  For the C it's 1.85.  Reverse for the A is 3.79. for the C it's 4.53.  Third gear in both A and C is 1 to 1.  The difference comes from different gears on the input shaft and the gear cluster.  All other gears within the transmission are the same.  The advantage of the C over the A is simply to be able to drive at slower speeds when traversing over obstacles.  I imagine there may also be some advantage when pulling heavy loads as well.  But most of us who make the change usually do it so we can drive our Jeeps a little slower in rough country.   Here is another thread that may help illuminate the difference.
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 10:06pm
One of my '51 M38's has a "C". I love it in the woods and hate it on the highway. Better start looking for your next upgrade-----------Overdrive. When you are rapped out in 2nd pulling a hill and go to third, it's too far of a jump. Not enough speed. Lug , lug in third. Now maybe your pinto engine has the beans to overcome this, but the L head Jeep engine does not. Overdrive makes it the ideal set up. Wink Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 10:28pm
Thanks, guys, for the insights. I've got a stock T90A with a Warn OD in the 2A I'm restoring, which will get a bit more road and mild trail use than serious rock crawling.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 11:49pm
Oilly, we'll find out tomorrow if the pinto's put-put will push the Mule with this new tranny down the road comfortably from stop thru to third.  From my short test on Wednesday, I think it will fly.  Stay tuned.
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
CJ2AMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2AMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 3:33am
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

Originally posted by CJ2AMan CJ2AMan wrote:

Finished fitting steering box mounting, frame horn rebuild all tack welded in place, tomorrow tear down and finish welding then chassis paint, Friday back together and hopefully driving by weekend.  Anguish to get back on road after 3 weeks of down time. 

Hey CJ2a Man,

What is your steering box from? I see it has a 3 bolt case and a fill port for lube, which my 4 bolt case does not. What pitman arm are you using? is it straight or dropped?

Thanks,

The Saginaw box (part 5674312) came from a Chevy II, common GM box from ‘60s and ‘70s. 
Mark
'46 CJ2A SN 40269
CJ2AMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2AMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 3:45am
Finished welding and chassis coated. Wrinkle finish bumper in morning then slap that baby back together for trip in the hills this weekend. 

Otto, no drop on pitman arm. 
'46 CJ2A SN 40269
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 4:56pm
Transmission and transfer case is back in Ol' Red. I found that the leak that I had was not so much from the front seal, but from a plug that came up missing from the front of the shift tower. There was a very small leak from the front of the transmission case where the oil scoop screws goes through the front of the case, but it was nothing to have worried about. Very minor.

I plugged the front shift rail hole with a slightly modified dime and RTV thereby increasing the value of Ol' Red by $.10!

As soon as I can locate some 90W GL-1 Ol' Red will be back on the road.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 3:17am
Jerry can storage unit.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 3:26am
Other than the jerry can unit I've been fixing leaks, replacing time gear, adjusting the valves and painting  the motor the best I can in the jeep. I'm going to be in a car show next weekend here in Hannibal and trying to go up against 50,000 plus cars. But most of them are people who have someone else do all the work and then say it's their car. I won't win anything but I have a good time. I always joke I the winner of the little kids and guys without sleeves. Ha. (but do get kick out of letting little kids get in my jeep and they just light up, most of the cars there you would dare touch).
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 2:40pm

Installed new Smittybuilt CJ5 style seats in the CJ2A. The CJ2A frames had been cut down years ago to fit CJ5 seats, plus they're more comfy and less expensive than the originals, so I figured I'd just keep the same theme. Small block chevy push rod brkts hold the rear seat to the body. Sometimes you just have to use what you find in the garage. Never had a backseat before, so looking forward to trying that out. Ordered seat belts from Wesco Performance. They have inexpensive old school seat belts. The seat foam is thicker than stock CJ5 seats so I had to drop the front seats down as much as I could. Still a bit high but liveable. 

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 4:24pm
I had a friend test drive the Blue Mule to check out the tranny conversion to T90C, and he came right back to the shop.  Tranny was good, but brakes were bad. (nuthing a half dozen pumps on the pedal can't fix)  We pulled off a hub and found the brake shoes were worn out.  Pulled the rest of the hubs and found the same all the way around.  Hhmmmm, I guess I better put brake inspections a little bit higher on my priority maintenance list.  So the Mule is down until we get a full new set of brake shoes.  Fortunately the drums are still smooth with no gouges or bad spots.  Also found a loose bearing up front.  We'll take care of that too.  In the mean time, we'll replace the rubber hose lines with new ones.  I detect that two of the old ones may have done some ballooning.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by m38mike m38mike wrote:

I had a friend test drive the Blue Mule to check out the tranny conversion to T90C, and he came right back to the shop.  Tranny was good, but brakes were bad. (nuthing a half dozen pumps on the pedal can't fix)  We pulled off a hub and found the brake shoes were worn out.  Pulled the rest of the hubs and found the same all the way around.  Hhmmmm, I guess I better put brake inspections a little bit higher on my priority maintenance list.  So the Mule is down until we get a full new set of brake shoes.  Fortunately the drums are still smooth with no gouges or bad spots.  Also found a loose bearing up front.  We'll take care of that too.  In the mean time, we'll replace the rubber hose lines with new ones.  I detect that two of the old ones may have done some ballooning.  

Hhmmmm, seems like I remember hearing somebody say, "That's the next thing you'd oughta fix", or something like that. Wink  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
CBAUER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CBAUER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 11:09pm
Try a 1/2” copper pipe cap worked for me
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>