Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do on your jeep today - May 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 12:37am
A couple days ago my clutch pedal stopped fully returning, so today i looked and found the spring hanging from the pedal shaft. I re-hooked the other end- good to go, at least for now.Smile
Rick Estes
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 2:29am
Pulled my starter to verify that it would spin with no load.
Only after I got it back in did I realize my jumper cables are actually made with what looks like 10-12 ga, rather than full size cable.
Fine if you need to charge a low battery to get going.
Not so fine if you want to turn the engine from outside the garage, with no batt at all in the Jeep.
Still got about a half turn before a clamp got hot enough to heat the spring and cause it to release.
I think I have a set somewhere that used welding cable.
If not, I may try to make one.
1946 CJ2A 14098
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 2:54am
[QUOTE=berettajeep]I drove it to work!!!! [/QUOT

]Glad you got to drive your jeep to work Dennis. We missed you at the Spring Fling- maybe next year. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Kinjelo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kinjelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 3:24am
I just picked up a 47 2A that doesn't have the parking brake like the one in   your picture.   it's just totally missing. Does the  parking brake install over the shaft, or most likely has my drive shaft been altered/extended to compensate for the the missing parking brake?

Iwant to put a parking brake back in, but am wondering if I'm looking at a new drive shaft as well. 
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 3:26am
New 160 thermostat with (2) 1/8" holes in it. Tomorrow I will add fluid back in it.
One Band-Aid done.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
Kinjelo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kinjelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 3:27am
I just picked up a 47 2A that doesn't have the parking brake like the one in   your picture.   it's just totally missing. Does the  parking brake install over the shaft, or most likely has my drive shaft been altered/extended to compensate for the the missing parking brake?

Iwant to put a parking brake back in, but am wondering if I'm looking at a new drive shaft as well. 
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 4:09am
When I was 16 I purchased a 47 CJ2A.  We were both 16 years old.  That Jeep did not have an oil filter or a parking brake.  I did not know any better so I used fence staples to attach a rope to a 4" X4" chunk of wood that I could pull it in as I started to move.  That could work until you find the parts for the brake. 

64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 4:37am
Originally posted by Kinjelo Kinjelo wrote:

Hey Kinjelo,
Welcome to the forum. You might get better responses if you post your question in a separate thread.
The drive shaft is the same length with or without the parking brake. The whole brake assembly fits behind the companion flange that the driveshaft bolts to and fits I to the transfer case. Here’s a drawing from Sean’s data base.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 4:39am
Today technically I did nothing to my Jeep! Though I did show photos of the paint to about 15 people. OH I watched a You tube video on color sanding.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 6:03am
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

[QUOTE=berettajeep]I drove it to work!!!! [/QUOT

]Glad you got to drive your jeep to work Dennis. We missed you at the Spring Fling- maybe next year. 

Thanks. Sorry I could not attend this year.

I put the top back on. Getting windy and rain is in the forecast.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 2:02pm
Well, I didn't do any work on Ol' Red yesterday, but I was involved in an accident with her. The other driver got a little close while trying to pass me and kissed the driver's side of Ol' Red.

Final score:

1946 Ol' Red: very very minor scuff of paint on left front fender and left front hub cap. Left hand mirror was pushed forward, but didn't break.

2018 Mercedes Benz SUV: approximately $1500 damage to front fender, right hand doors and rear fender. The red paint from Ol' Red looked like a pinstriping project on the side of the Mercedes.

No injuries.

Conclusions drawn from the experience:

Somehow modern sheet metal just doesn't hold up well against old iron!

I feel very lucky that there were no injuries (especially me!) because this happened at approximately 30 MPH.

Both Ol' Red and myself are still truckin'     
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 2:17pm
Glad you are ok. Whew
Rick Estes
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 2:57pm
And the Mercedes SUV driver has been telling people, "An ancient Jeep ran into me today, the thing was bright red and appeared out of nowhere. Last thing I saw was the driver's smiling face. Ancient Jeep drivers look so smug! Don't know why my Mercedes' high-tech driver assistance features didn't prevent this...I am so ashamed. But, that ancient Jeep was pretty cool." 
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 3:04pm
Wow - that had to be scary.  Glad you are ok.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 3:10pm
loaded RWILLYS on the Jeepsy Wagon and Joe W’s Jeeps for a few days of trail recon with Oilleaker and Wrongway in preparation of the BHR. 18 days and counting!

RWILLYS (Space R)
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 12:06am
Got the bottom painted. 
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 12:17am
Looks awesome!
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 1:59am
Old Red, you should of put it in four wheel drive and pushed him down the road.
Glad your OK.

As for what I did today, my toy now has a carter glass bowl filter and I hope
getting the goose neck out of the line with help keep air from getting trapped
in the line. (second band-aid done). Also my engine monitoring equipment
showed up today and I'm still waiting on the vacuum gauge and exhaust gauge
to set up the timing.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>