Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do TO your jeep today? April 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 11:10am
well, it is not still Aprilbut since it is also not yet June:

removed the spring steel that was under the gas pedal driving me nutty as it combined with slop in the pedal was rattley and annoying. spring is to left of pedal in pic. also secured the screws holding the pedal down. those suck to try to get to and tighten. needed an assistant. to hold the screwdriver. 

next project: get hood to stop rattling. i discovered it is not the hinge. it is simply the curved side of hood hitting the cowl. 

Edited by bight - 28 May 2023 at 11:15am
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
jpoole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpoole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 7:23pm
No problem on the picture Scratch.

I agree on it's being interesting JHG.  The jeep came with the purchase of an old hunting cabin owned by farmers that passed away some time ago.  I assume the gray cj2a and green m38 saw life on the farm, in the Mississippi Delta followed by decades at the hunting camp which is on an island on the Mississippi River and not road accessible for most of the Jeeps lives.  There's plenty of welding patchwork and some clever, minimalistic modifications on both jeeps.  To me they are a bit like time capsules providing a window into an earlier time when many folks were handy, resourceful and may have valued function over form.

This weekend I got to visit the jeep and drive it to a gas station.  First time it's had fuel directly from a pump in 40+ years I'd guess.  On the drive my son said:  "dad, I'm going to keep this day in mind."  a few minutes later he said:  "when you die can I have this jeep?".  It was a good day and I'm optimistic that the jeep will be cared for for a long time to come.

TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2023 at 5:49pm
Second gear success!
My T90 has been popping out of 2nd since I rebuilt it (I am ashamed to admit it has been 13 years), today I removed the top one more time, pulled the 2-3 fork and shift rail. Examining  the detent ball and spring I found the spring was fine, but the ball did not fit the groove in the  rail. Compared it with one I removed years ago and the results. "New" one 0.312 in, "old" one 0.375 in.
I reinstalled the old ball (that is fun by itself), and did gently file the boss on the 2-3 fork. 
IT NO LONGER JUMPS OUT OF 2nd!πŸ€—πŸ˜πŸ™‚

Edited by TERRY - 01 June 2023 at 5:50pm
BOULDER 48 2A
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2023 at 6:49pm
Fixing pop out, THAT must feel great. Popping out of second is a major annoyance. 
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
Beach Bum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beach Bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2023 at 6:53pm
Davis, I’m sorry that I can’t recall where I got the replacement but I found that I could never get a good crisp shift INTO overdrive with the limp linkage (strap) that came with the OD. I found one made of round stock somewhere. You could probably make one yourself if you had more equipment than I do. Metal Shaper shows how in one of his videos.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123