Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do TO your Jeep today? July 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote havasujeepn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2021 at 1:15pm
Glen,
Very impressive! Is the cool red tube a kit that you purchased or did you just get as much as you could into it? And thanks for the pix that shows everything you stowed. I'm going to try and do the same thing!Smile Stay Safe!
48 Lefty
SN 183244
ACM 173419
Engine 195912
Block 641087-L-W4
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2021 at 1:25pm
and, driver side seat pouch rounds out the storage of more commonly needed items: gloves, SOG Power Plier (no longer available except used, rarely, on eBay), sunscreen, hand sani, superlight jacket, adjustable wrench, and reg and insurance docs.

Edited by bight - 31 July 2021 at 1:54pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2021 at 1:30pm
havasujeepn,

i found the cool red tube in a trash can. i do not know what actually came in it. some sort of tool. i wish i could find a few more.

i collected up all of the contents. i doubt anybody sells kits like this and if they did they would probably be half filled with crap you do not need, will ever use, or is just junk. and be way too pricey.
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
43 Flat-Fender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 43 Flat-Fender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2021 at 2:37pm
Very nice "Kit" Bight.
Having that makes going out on the road or trail with a lot more confidence.
Rob
GPW 94445 (DOD 01-25-43) Built in Louisville KY
Engine: MB341746
"Faithful Steed" since 1967
jeffclark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffclark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2021 at 10:14pm
Nice kit! Hope you don’t have to crack it open often, but it must make you feel a lot more confident that you’ve got some basics as you head out.
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2021 at 10:36pm
While I have a few essential tools and a spare part or two, and I can change a flat, it's not near as heavy as all that. I might bulk up if going on safari to the outback.

Call me "Banking on Sound Preventive Maintenance".

The main item in my kit is a cell phone charger to call road service ---- covered by Hagerty Insurance.

Doggone flip-phone is always dead when I least expect it......LOL

Edited by Ron D - 31 July 2021 at 10:50pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2021 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by bight bight wrote:

got my on-board kit packed tight and in the tool box. it is amazing just how much will fit under the seat with a little energy. 

. . . 

WOW!!   Nice work!

I really do not like trying to organize this kind of thing . .  I need study this and try to duplicate.   Although it might not be so easy, as I think about it,  because I have a lot of other things in there like tow straps,  snatch block, engine oil, and other tools etc.
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2021 at 1:06am
the idea here is not to attempt fitting the kitchen sink in the tool box. just the absolute minimum for short trips and general local driving and light off-road. i could possibly even eliminate some of the included items (don’t really need 2 saws or 2 adjustable wrenches). i am also trying to limit the threat of theft (bags/boxes loose and accessible) when i just drive to a trailhead for a hike or put in for a kayak trip or into town to go to the market. i am not going to haul that stuff with me down the trail! more stuff means more bags interesting to thieves.

there are threads here that go into the lists of various desires of individuals and what they feel comfortable with. my opinion is that less is more. i am working on developing a series of lists based upon what i have read here. it will be the bare minimum, medium sized, full blown, and options. this would also include a group list if traveling with multiple Jeeps. as most know, not everything needs to be duplicated by everyone in the party.

i would carry additional stuff like a few more tools, one longer strap, water, etc. in separate bags/boxes for longer trips. but certainly not a complete set of wrenches, four sizes of vice grips, three channel locks, sets of axles and driveshafts, etc. i am not running the Rubicon. please nobody take offense. to each his own. i try to ask others: “what did you really need/use that you took” and make conscious decisions based upon that experience as to what to take. it appeared to me in the recent and excellent Rubicon trip photos that the group did not seem to travel heavily loaded. it would be interesting to know what they used and what was not.

there are great advantages to traveling lightly. oh and don't forget the credit card.

Edited by bight - 05 July 2022 at 2:21pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
BUTA46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BUTA46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2021 at 6:35am
I like seeing what others carry and how they do it because I’ve been refining my loadout for many years. Much of what bight has here is in my Jeep but in different places. I don’t have the safety harnesses and such that bight has cuz that Batman stuff he does for fun and profit is way beyond my happy zone, but a loot of stuff can be handy to have and not need. But when you need it and don’t have it, well, hope it’s a good karma day.
I thought about hauling everything out to show but today is a busy one and everything is packed to go riding. Here’s what I have accumulated over the years so I hope I am forgiven if it doesn’t really count as topic relevant not done today, exactly.

Passenger Seat pack has the bleed kit, first aid kit, trip to the tree in the woods kit, kukri saw/machete, oven roaster bags for hotdogs on the engine lunch, large trash bags, ten pack of coin paper towels, air compressor, extra gloves, flashlight, bug nets, sunscreen and DEET and a boat air horn.
Driver side has lots of paracord in plastic bottles, goggles, rain pants, windbreaker stored with the Food Saver for flatness, toolbag with five different vise grips…(just kidding, bight. Take two pair though, you might need one to clamp off a broken brake line.) spare fan belt, condenser, points and a NAPA ignition coil in a dry bag, Starter fluid, duct tape, tree tape, hose clamp and a really nice Gerber hatchet.

In between the seats is Lucy, head of Rodent Patrol.

Under the driver seat is a magnetic parts tray with a 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, and 9/16 ratchet wrenches stuck in it by magic and a gas siphon hose.

The spare tire carrier also carries a quart of 40 weight, two quarts of ninety weight, a bottle of brake fluid, two old t shirts, more duct tape and number two tow strap.

The fire extinguisher is under the dash on the passenger side. Number One tow Strap, jack, lug wrench calibrated for both left- and right-handed threads and some rodent poo in the passenger seat tool box.
Red bag between the seats has another condenser and point set, a bag full of quarters and metal dollars, a leather man tool a compass and some candy.
Maps, binoculars and a come along winch in a bag complete my current yet ever changing load out.
Now to find time for a trail ride…

Edited by BUTA46 - 01 Aug. 2021 at 6:44am
BUTA- Back Up Try Again

46 CJ2A #73349   “Poison Icky”
46 CJ2A #51119.   “Rock Sand”
46 CJ2A #80102.   “Marilyn Jean”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12