Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do to your jeep today - June 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What did you do to your jeep today - June 2019
    Posted: 03 June 2019 at 1:38am
I just had back surgery a few days ago.  So I haven't been able to do much other than open my order from Walck's. But we needed to start a June thread Big smile
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2019 at 2:02am
No work on the Jeep. But I dug out the Sterling trailer. Repaired the wiring. Replaced the junk Pep Boys tail lights with some round LED jobbies. This is a working trailer. So just making it function. I got the stake pockets cleared out and ready for some new stakes. My son and I will build some side boards in the next couple weeks. I'm growing fond of this little trailer.
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
CJ2A-CT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2019 at 2:32am
We got the pass. fender cleaned, stripped and primed. Ready for paint.............
46 CJ2a 22786 Brer Rabbit, 53 Willys Wagon, 62 Willys Pickup building with son-in-law, Jason
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2019 at 3:35am
Worked on the front axle put in new seals and bearings looked pretty good in there, cleaned out the differential. Also put in new steering tie rods and ends on . 

46 CJ2A 17573 Sioux Falls SD
Link to Photos of Restoration
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmuQgE9e
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2019 at 3:57am
Sanded and sanded and sanded paint
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
CJ2A-CT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2019 at 12:43am
Found this at local antique store for $10.00 so I took a break from the CJ to clean it up.
46 CJ2a 22786 Brer Rabbit, 53 Willys Wagon, 62 Willys Pickup building with son-in-law, Jason
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2019 at 2:37am
You got a DEAL on that!

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2019 at 9:40pm
My gas gauge went to E after I filled it up.  I found out that my brass float fell off the fuel sender.  Doh!  I guess I need to drive it until it's empty and try and fish it out of the gas tank.  The tank has baffles too.  What a pain in the a**.
redrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2019 at 2:14am
I had the same thing happen to mine and fixed that problem by soldier the brass float to the metal rod.  Fixed and now I have a fuel gauge that works.
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid.”
Andy Meyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Meyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2019 at 1:50am

Watched some paint dry on my freshly built l134 mounts built to install the 2a motor in a cj5 frame. The frame has a wider cross section at the mounts so the original 2a mount lower half’s were removed and I made new extended lower halves out of 10ga sheet and welded them back together. Didn’t realize it till I uploaded this picture but you can see one of the original lowers still sitting on the ground all rusted over. Did a bad job painting them so it looks like Willy’s might have done it then accidentally left them sitting out when it started raining. They were dry enough that the spots won’t show when I wipe them off.
redrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 1:26am
I got a rear diff put back together and ready to install in my latest project jeep.  I also started some frame repairs in the usual rust out points.
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid.”
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 4:36am

Yesterday, I woke her up from a short nap. I was out of town for 65 days. She was over at mom’s house, with the battery out and on a charger. I had to prime the carb and fuel pump with some gas to get her going again. I missed driving her.

Back home, I replaced the parking brake cable. I tried to do it before I left but got the wrong one.

Today, it was a trip to Home Depot. Half way there, it sounded like I had hit something or something had fallen off. She was running fine, so I kept going.

I get to Home Depot and look around. I don’t notice anything missing. A quick look under the hood and all appears there. I look her over once again as I’m about to leave and notice some oil on the right frame by the front fender. I know what that is. Yep, my air filter oil cup is gone.

So, I shoot back over to where I heard the noise with visions of a metal pancake in the road. I drive back and forth and see nothing. I get out and walk up and down the street. Nothing. I loop around to a point before I heard the noise. Nothing. I park again and walk the route before the noise. Ok, at the intersection, I see where it looks like a fresh quart of oil was puked in the street. No cup around. I walk to the other side of the intersection and I can see fresh oil. Then I see marks of something rolling down the road flinging oil. The tracks cross the sidewalk and head for some bushes. These she is. Dirty, but no worse for adventure.

Cleaned her up and double checked that she was in there tight.

1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 5:43am
Yesterday, I successfully fought off an enormous stump.  

Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 7:13am
I finished up the 1500 grit wet sanding of all the sht metal. Total oops count.

1. place in the middle of the door opening left side where my light stand fell over and hit the fresh paint and when I filled the divot and sanded it out an area about 3/8" x 3/32" sanded through to the White sealer. I'll over spray this with my air brush and then not sand it out just buff over it.

2. a 1/4-3/8" D spot near the top of the tub in the left Tail light panel that is round and very thin so you can see the White through the Blue. It varies in density. I am going to do the same as above to make it better. It will be hidden behind Tire Swing Mount and CB antenna mount so to a big worry.

3. A teeny tiny sand through on the bottom of the Right side Body joint not more then 1/32" x 3/16" I'll hit this one with my tiny pointed paint brush and buff out.

4. Bottom Right rear corner almost to the Tail light panel a sand through on the edge again very small 1/8" x 5/16" I'll most likely hit this with the brush. Again in an area once its Blue will never be seen.

5. Left side Hood bottom edge about where the Hood latch is I have a sand through about 1/32-1/16" and maybe 1 1/2- 1 3/4" long This one I will carefully over spray with the air brush trying to feather it a little. No sanding just buffing.

Thats it once I took care of the little sand through on the Windshield frame.

I am super happy with the second painting. The couple areas where I had runs and the paint has the darker brownish coloring I can live with. Wish I knew how getting a run caused the paint color to change once sanded out.

NOW I can worry about the Buffing
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 2:37pm
Had to jump start it to move it so I could mow the lawn.
Frank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 2:57pm
To all,

Had to get my Dillon press going again. Plumb run out of 45 Long Colt. Before that I took Rustee(45 2A) to town in the bicycle lane to get fresh fuel in her. Dang flatlander raft tourists are mostly out of state, so had to take it easy on the drive into town. The Defensive Driving techniques came back into my pea brain during the trip.

Frank
jijk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jijk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2019 at 1:03pm
Spent some time touching up paint I chipped while fitting my top bows.  Then checked... or should I say refilled some fluids.  

1946 CJ2A #55729
1948 CJ2A #172606
1952 Willys Truck
1945 Bantam #380
1946 Bantam #2629
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2019 at 1:28pm
Did some work on the Sterling (I think) trailer. The tongue area was in pretty tough shape. I made some plates out  of 1/8 and welded them on. I found some "patina" metal to use for the repair. No paint required. I also removed the Bubba Mfg Inc safety chains and added some properly mounted ones. We greased her all up then made a maiden voyage dump run! 

I may work on some wood sides today when my son gets here. We'll see.....

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>