Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do TO your jeep today? June 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What did you do TO your jeep today? June 2022
    Posted: 04 June 2022 at 10:29pm
Picked up two Carter ceramic fuel filters from @Scoutpilot at the Aurora Willys Reunion. 
Installed today in my ‘46 CJ2A and ‘50 Jeepster.

Edited by Fred46 - 04 June 2022 at 10:31pm
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2022 at 4:23pm

It has been hot and muggy this week in Southern Ohio.  We have been getting rain every other day with temps in the 90s.  Fields are soft, creeks are up, and the grass is high.  Actually, getting good at recovering the lawn mower.  
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2022 at 6:31pm
Not a lot, however, I am gathering the parts to assemble a heavy duty magnetic base to mount my Garmin without drilling holes in the dash or cowl. Ram mounts ball parts plus a strong magnet from Ace hardware. I'm adding felt to the bottom of the magnet so I can get it off.

James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2022 at 11:27pm
Assembled the leaf spring packs I will be using after work. The mosquitoes were out being annoying and the sun was disappearing behind the trees so I went in. Hate that it was a beautiful day that I spent it at work but at least I was outside.    
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2022 at 10:27am
I had the day off as the sub grade on a couple of the jobs we have been hauling rock to is to soft/wet to work. So I built a light wt. Aluminum and composite Lunch cooler for CHUG its 9" x 10" x 11" and has 1" of Pink Foam board insulation. I was hoping to coat the inside with Flex Seal but it appears that stuff attacks the foam so I'll try something else to make it water proof inside. I will be putting 3-4 coats of White Bed liner on the outside.

This is part of my adventure gear. Next I'm going to build a box to suit the Fluids I'll be packing along the coolant and oil etc.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2022 at 11:17am
Nothing as fancy as some of the other posts on this thread but Ol' Red had developed a leak where the timing cover and oil pan bolt together and it has been getting worse since last fall...so, today was the day that the fan blade got taken off, the alternator moved back, and the fuel pump removed. The timing cover and oil pan got cleaned up after removal and the oil sump was removed and cleaned up as well as trued up where it mates with the block. Gasketing was applied to the timing cover and oil pan. New hardware will go on tomorrow when I start back together with the project. I am looking forward to getting Ol' Red back on the road and trail again. Hot in Kansas right now. Looks like the windshield will be down for road trips for a while.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 15 June 2022 at 11:18am
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2022 at 9:17pm
Brought home the rear Dana 44 off set diff. Running 5:38's, aggressive Power Lok, all new bearings and seals, drilled and tapped for possible ARB, and has Brennan's disc brakes with electric E-brake system. Also installed Big willy High Line skid plates. Everything is temporarily installed for now. One pic shows the front D30 diff passenger side modification work so that the big willy skid plate will fit. Normally a 3.0 U-bolt is used but I ended up using a 2.75 which fit well.

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2022 at 10:29pm
Disassembled the motor I took out of my 2A. 

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2022 at 10:34pm
Shocked
Ouch

Wow  . . hopefully the block is ok?
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2022 at 1:11am
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

Shocked
Ouch

Wow  . . hopefully the block is ok?

It was still a running motor when I started to disassemble the Jeep recently. Cylinder walls surprisingly look okay. 
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2022 at 9:41am
It's amazing to me how much punishment these motors can take and still keep going. 
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2022 at 1:39pm
My Alternator mount had shifted (most likely not tightened up enough in the assembly process) and the belt was running a few degrees off true so I pulled the alternator and tightened it up returning the alignment. took about an hour.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2022 at 5:07pm
I finally put on the fabric doors I got from Bight last year. Downpours yesterday and I was glad to have them.  They work great, but driving in a downpour sure let me know how many miscellaneous holes there are all over this tub. 
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2022 at 6:51pm
  Put about 50 more miles on a rebuilt engine making it about 350 since rebuild. Took my wife, (we just celebrated our 58th anniversary on the 13th) and our 7 year old grandson out to eat and a ride through the country roads. I was real happy to see the temperature dropped from 200-210 on previous drives to a high of 190 today with the temperature here in the 90's Big smile.  Life is good!

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2022 at 11:39pm
Removed the hubs from the axle that was under my Jeep, will compare with the other four I have and use the best ones. 
I also disassembled the steering box to clean and rebuild. 
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2022 at 9:35am
Yesterday I adjusted the valves, and did a general tune up on my CJ5, removed all studs from two L head blocks I am prepping for rebuilds. I then drove my CJ2A into town for some cold beverages. 

It has been really hot for about a week down here in the "Sunny South", temperatures getting over 100 degrees and very humid. A powerful storm came through Friday, blew down a few trees in my back field, and rained really hard. The cold front pushing the storm brought a very nice change in temps, which helped getting that work done. 

Wonderful weather today so I am going down to the barn to cut out the rotten V brace on the back of an otherwise good 48 CJ2A frame and fit the new brace to be welded in.  If I get to it today I am going to mate the transmission / transfer case to the engine I will be installing in that frame.  

Edited by Oldpappy - 19 June 2022 at 9:37am
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2022 at 10:50pm
i made a fancy place to put my state required ATV permit sticker. Since I don't want it on the body or bumper and the top is not going to be finished until fall.  I came up with this mounted to the Tire rack mount.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2022 at 11:27pm
Well, not exactly MY jeep but.....

A friend asked me to change his transmission and transfer case lube because he wasn't sure what was put in it last. The transfer case is easy, it drops right out the drain hole and through a hole in the skid plate. The transmission, not so much. The drain plug is a bear to get to, a bear to loosen, a bear to tighten, and the oil runs onto the skid plate and goes everywhere, making a big mess. A trough can be made out of cardboard or something, but it gets in the way. I found a solution.

It looked to me like the bottom transfer case attaching bolt would be easier to get to, is at the bottom of the transmission case, and goes through to the inside of the case. I found a piece of 1-1/2" angle iron to use as a gutter, but I had some trouble figuring out how to hold it. Finally, I drug my welder over and spotted the angle to the skid plate. Pulled the bolt out and let it drain overnight. When it was done I broke the spot weld off and ground the edge of the plate smooth. Never spilled a drop!

BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>