Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What did you do to your jeep today?  October 2018
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do to your jeep today? October 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2018 at 5:23am
Started by replacing my old Century distributor (with Pertronix) with an Autolite IAD-4008 (with stock points), which was meticulously restored by Kurt of Willys Distributors just up the road from me.

I also made a new set of braided cloth solid core 7mm plug wires and re-timed the ignition. I removed my Warn summer hubs and installed my Dualmatics for the brutal SoCal winter ahead. Cleaned up and repainted the chaff screen. 

Then it was off to Imperial Beach, Ca. and the local car show, which they say had around 400 vehicles. It was an overcast day, but still beats most weather elsewhere.

You meet a lot of interesting people at shows and today was no exception. I met an older couple (older than me at 59) and the husband said when his wife saw the 2A, she said, "I have to see that Jeep". Turns out that she was born in Toledo, Ohio and her father worked at Willys-Overland Motors for over 35 years. She knew a lot about the jeep and had fond memories of learning to drive in his.

Here I am between a '67 Chevelle SS 396 and '56 Chevy Gasser with a 496.

A beautiful venue to see an eclectic variety of cars, trucks, and bikes.  There were only 2 other 4WD vehicles, a '71 Bill Stroppe Bronco recreation and a '59 Apache Suburban. 
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2018 at 10:41am
Originally posted by usmcpmi usmcpmi wrote:

Got the fuel tank painted and installed. Also managed to install the wiper motors. Just have to mount the driver's seat and run the wiring to the wiper motors. Then do a final walk around and touch up some paint here and there...

I love that you painted the tank body color. I debated this on mine and ended up leaving it black. I wish I had done it correctly as you have. Very cool. You Jeep is coming together beautifully. Congrats! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2018 at 8:24pm
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2018 at 8:25pm
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2018 at 8:26pm
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2018 at 8:27pm
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2018 at 8:31pm
So guys.... I think it's Done! Had one small issue today. Wiring up the wiper motors and the passenger side has a dead short right out of the box. Have to return it tomorrow and order another. Drivers side works fine. Touched up a little paint, and started it up and ran for about an hour. Texas weather refused to get with the program, so it's still in the shop until it dries out a bit. Looking forward to the shake down trip...Big smile
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2018 at 11:11pm
I love the Civil Defense theme. A few weeks ago I decided to do something similar. My two local jeep buddies have restored MBs, machine guns, uniforms, helmets and all the goodies. Mine is plain jane. So they get most of the attention. In order to have a little more fun, provide education to the public and compete with my buddies, I decided to do a Civil Defense air raid warden impression. I'm still gathering a few things, but got most of what I need. 

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2018 at 12:31am
ndnchf! Lol! Our plan exactly! Still in the gathering stage for all the "accessories" the decals are on magnetic backing so they come off clean. We also have the helmet, air raid procedures poster, soviet aircraft spotting poster, some old school binoculars and if you look closely at the first picture,  there is a hand crank siren mounted on the front bumper. 
I told my wife all we need now is a spotlight trailer...she's actually looking for one on the internet...i think she's a keeper! Clap
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2018 at 12:51am
I missed your siren - cool. Been looking at those hand crank models on ebay. Until I began researching CD, I didn't realize there were so many sub-specialties snd symbols. Its an interesting bit of our history that the younger generation knows little about. I grew up with duck and cover drills, fall out shelters and wailing drill sirens. 

Did you custom order the magnets? 
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2018 at 1:28am
We just picked up magnetic sheets at hobby lobby and stuck them on and cut them out with scissors. Super simple. I think the magnetic sheet was $6 for 3 - 8x11" sheets. I like the foot locker idea. We have a ww2 field desk we might set up as a command post...Thumbs Up
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2018 at 1:44am
The foot locker fits perfectly in the jeep, great for carrying the CD gear. I have some CD stickers and ordered some CD Air Raid Warden stickers. I like the magnet idea to make them removeable.  Thanks for the idea, Hobby Lobby is nearby.

So far my kit includes helmet, coveralls with air raid warden arm band, period flashlight, whistle, shovel, air raid warden booklet and non-combatant gas mask. I'm looking at sirens and vintage binaculars.
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2018 at 2:59am

Not so much of what I did today but over the past year.

One year ago, I found my Jeep on Craigslist. She had been off the road since 1994. For$3,200, I got her delivered on 10/08/17.

So, this is what I did over the last year: flushed the rust out of the gas tank, flush the block (3x), replace a freeze plug, made an entire wiring harness, new fuel lines, new main rubber brake lines, rebuild the carb, new fuel pump, new radiator hoses, new cap, rotor, wires and plugs, new thermostat, new radiator cap, NOS horn, R&R engine and trans, new water pump, new high torque starter, new ring gear, resurfaced flywheel, complete new clutch assembly, new output flange, new output flange seal (3X!!), all new fluids, new front flange and seal, new rear yoke and seal, new front leaf springs and bushings, four new Rancho shocks, rebuilt the drag link, repack front wheel bearings, cleaned out front housings and replace with corn head grease, replaced bailing wire with proper exhaust hangers, new tail pipe, five new beige powder coated rims, five new Firestone NDT tires, new spare tire mount, new fuel sender, new water temp gage, new parking brake, rebuilt the master cylinder, new brake light switch (2X), new horn button switch, new speedometer cable (2X), poppet ball and spring, made two new wooden seat bottoms, new pedal draft kit, new sifter boots, new shifter knobs and bought her a M-146 trailer to play with.

With all that, I drove her 2,013+ miles. It has been a bit frustrating at times but always a blast to drive.

Today, I hitched up the M-416 and got a load of Almond and Oak wood for the smoker.

Micah

1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2018 at 3:14am
Locked the hubs in and drove to the gun club meeting in the snow.  Big wet flakes and coming down hard.  Winter has come to NE Wyoming.
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2018 at 12:02pm
Dang Micah, I got tired just reading that list!  Well done.
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2018 at 11:03pm
Drove mine again to work. Luckily the people in front of me were only going 45-50 in the 55 mph zone. Me doing 45 doesn't look as bad when slower traffic is in front of me

After work a new set of spark plugs will put in.
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2018 at 1:09am
Drained the water and put antifreeze in the farm jeep, better to do it now while I'm thinking of it than some night when it is freezing out.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2018 at 2:29am
I tore out my PTO. Seems it was scabbed together at some point, so I'm going to work on piecing it back together and machining my own lower output shaft. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>