Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What did you do to your Willys today? January 2020
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do to your Willys today? January 2020

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What did you do to your Willys today? January 2020
    Posted: 19 Jan. 2020 at 10:32pm
Am I seeing this right? We are more than halfway through the month and did not start a thread for January? Well, I hope I'm not creating a duplicate.

A few weeks back, my fuel gauge was stuck on “Full.” It does this from time to time and usually a couple raps on the top of the sender cures this. This time it didn’t. By the time I got around to investigate, I put a few miles on that full tank before I realized I was about on fumes. Not too many more and I would have been stranded.

I suspected the two-year-old Omix sender was dead. Just to be sure, I pulled the original gauge and cleaned the terminals and the dash ground. Since this was the first time I had it out, I decided to strip off all the orange paint around the bezel and glass. Why don’t people take the few minutes to pull the gauges before they paint the dash? Anyway, I got it cleaned up, repainted and reinstalled. It still read “Full.”

A couple days later, I drove down to Summit Racing and picked up a new sender. The had in stock both the Crown and the Omix version. The Omix actually looked better. The Crown was stamped out of thin metal but did come with a rubber gasket.

After pulling the driver’s seat, removing the old sender and getting the new one installed. I was happily done. Unfortunately, the gauge still read “Full.” That is what I get for assuming it was the sender. Five minutes of testing before I installed would have shown it to be the gauge and save me $30.

I looked on line at both the Omix gauge, and the Crown gauge. I was not thrilled with either one. Both did not have the original two pin combination mount and terminal along with the bracket center ground spring. Also, I think the Crown unit had an opening for a lightbulb. Both of these go for around $20

After enquiring with Army Jeep Parts, I found out that they had a different unit in 12v that had the original design. The $48 price was double and I had to pay shipping, $18, when the others I could have just picked up at Summit. I got them to come down to $10 on the shipping. I figured I would give them a try.

The gauge arrived yesterday and I just installed it a few minutes ago. Nice unit. The face is very close to my original 6v gauge. The mount and terminals are as original. It appears to work just fine. This looks like a better unit than either the Crown or Omix. Time will tell.

Now, I just wish it was warm enough to go out for a spin.

Micah

1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2020 at 11:25pm
Went for an early morning snow ride Big smile

- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
Arsene Wenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2020 at 7:27am

Originally posted by ggordon49 ggordon49 wrote:

Went for an early morning snow ride Big smile

Very cool !! 
The Deeper the Foundations , The Stronger the Castle.

AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2020 at 1:48pm
I just finished making a new bumper and winch mount for Thumper. He was due for a nose job. When I originally built the Jeep I used the bumper that was on there simply because it was something I had laying around. I then just mounted the winch plate up above everything because it was easy and I was ready to be done with the Jeep so I could start driving it. It never really bothered me too bad when I still had the 33x12.5-R15s. After I put the 7.50-16 NDTs on the bumper just looked wrong. So I made more of a factory looking bumper with the exception that I have the roller fairlead mounted to it. I rebuilt the winch mount setting it down in-between the frame rails as far as I could. I am limited in that because of the Saginaw steering box. I then moved the winch control box under the hood. Overall I like the looks of it much better. My lovely wife then made a cover for the winch out of some OD vinyl we have.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
TN21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TN21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2020 at 5:40am

Here is a winch project I have been working on for the last couple weeks. I finally got it all mounted and working. It is a Ramsey 200L PTO winch that I rebuilt backwards to make the input come out on the drivers side. It is controlled by a Ramsey PT1-J.

Edited by TN21 - 30 Jan. 2020 at 5:44am
‘46 CJ-2A/3A
‘62 FC-150
‘12 JK
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2020 at 3:31pm
Nice! I need to get back at my Ramsey and get it done.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2020 at 1:12am
Working on steering all day. Write up in my Project thread.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
 Post Reply Post Reply