Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What have I gotten myself in for now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What have I gotten myself in for now?
    Posted: 15 Sep. 2022 at 3:36pm
So a while back the High School Alumni Association asked if anyone would volunteer to tow their float in the little Homecoming parade.

Well silly me though that would be fun. And the idea has been until yesterday when I went and looked at the Car trailer they are going to be using for the Float. I can honestly say that as someone who has worked heavy construction for the last 18 years I have never seen a heaver built 2 axle car trailer!!!

I'm guessing its close to 5,000lbs LOL 2 5/16" ball etc. And of course there will be 8-10 fat alumni on it to add another ton+

The electric adaption from a 7 pin blade to my 7pin commercial plug will go through being converted to a simple 4 pin flat on both sides. Thats no problem.

I'm going to have to come up with a different stinger (I have a very HD receiver built into the back end of CHUG) the 2" drop stinger I have is only rated 5000lbs and the 6000lb stinger I have is a 4" drop and would have the trailer nose down. So I don't want that.

I have to drag this thing about 3 miles into town on a county road that see's as much farm traffic as anything so going slow and easy is not a problem. And the parade will be at about walking speed so again no trouble. Not keen about taking it back to the farm its coming from in the dark. Think I will ask for a chase car.

I will have to remove my Spare tire and Gas can rack (easy to do I just pull the two hinge pins) which will reduce the weight on the rear of the Jeep some.

I guess I will find out if my novice welding is any good LOL

The Parade is OCT 7th and I am going over Sunday to actually hook up to the trailer and do a trailer pull to see how it will all work out.

Just a question I need to have the front tires on the ground to be able to steer right?

And yes there will be photos.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
OnlyOneDR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnlyOneDR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2022 at 3:44pm
Yeah, I think this is one for weight distribution.  If anyone can lend you a hitch I would borrow it and set it up.
Searching for time to put it all together...
1950 CJ-3A #37751 In Pieces
1969 Chevy Blazer Resto-Mod Waiting for its day...
2001 Nissan Frontier Crawler Adventure Rig
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2022 at 5:55pm
Do you know what the tongue weight is?
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2022 at 7:33pm
Shift the alumni to the rear of the trailer to reduce the tongue weight to less than 200 pounds. This would help keep the front wheels on the ground.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2022 at 12:31am
6000 lbs may control Chug, but you won't be sprinting down the expressway @ 55 mph.
Remember, it is just a Float Trailer.   hahaha
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2022 at 6:19am
You know Mark, this could be an excuse to add turning brakes to the rear axle of Chug. They might be useful on the trail after the parade as well.

I have to admit that having the steering axle firmly planted on the black top is the best solution though.

I expect that you will enjoy the parade & want to do it again next year. However, perhaps a little bit larger rig for the towing vehicle might be in order for the next parades. A Willys pickup would work. Smile
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2022 at 6:52am
You could make a couple front bumper seats. 

Edited by drm101 - 16 Sep. 2022 at 6:55am
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2022 at 7:54am
This sounds so familure...I've finally learned to start saying no... 
No good deed goes unpunished....
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2022 at 9:07am
Reminds me of a parade many years ago pulling a Boy Scout float.     Things were not too bad starting out,  because I had the signal tower setting over the axles.    At start of parade many of the boys were near it,   but as we moved along,  some of the boys moved to front of trailer.    But even worse,  just before we started rolling,  two of the parents climbed into back of Wilson.   Each of them were 250lb +  . .  including the 280+ pounder in passenger seat.

The steering wheel turned with ease.  Wink    

At one point about half way down the route,  I heard a guy in the crowd say "That poor Jeep" LOL   If it was not on bump stops in rear,  it was close.

edit:  I had posted this photo to the forum earlier
This was the next year,  learned my lesson,  nobody in back of Jeep,  instead get on back of trailer,  haha

Edited by JeepFever - 16 Sep. 2022 at 9:13am
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2022 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by windyhill windyhill wrote:

This sounds so familure...I've finally learned to start saying no... 
No good deed goes unpunished....

In this situation this is very good advice.

Nothing wrong with showing the jeep off but certain situations should be thoroughly considered.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2022 at 8:35pm
All good advise guys which is why I am going over there Sunday and doing a test run. It may turn out the trailer is just to heavy or the balance is off. In any case I do have a lot of experience towing and pulling stuff. It very common at work to have to tow a 30,000 lb piece of equipment on a heavy equipment trailer with an empty truck. Granted not the same thing but still fits in the experience category.  Nothing like hauling a 1/2 million dollar paving machine down a steep  forest service road and then 80 miles into the yard in rush hour traffic on a mountain pass at the end of a 12 hour work day to teach you how to pay attention.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2022 at 8:48pm
Hopefully it works out. . .  If so, be sure to send photos!
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2022 at 1:36pm
SO yesterday the 750/7500 stinger showed up and is now fitted to my Receiver. I cleaned up the Plug adapter and later today (after 4pm cause the trailer is being used for something today) I'll go over and hook up to it and get the electricals sorted out.

Its in a very rural area and I'll hook up to it and drag it to a friends farm/trucking yard about a mile away to see how it pulls, steers, and stops. Hopefully it will go well.

I'm taking the Tire, Gas can, Pioneer tool rack off the back to lighten up the rear as well as to make room for the bulky hitch on the trailer.

Fingers crossed.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2022 at 4:56pm
I just finished up making up the conversion pig tail and stripping the spare tire and such off the back of CHUG. And I got to thinking at no time growing up with CHUG do I ever remember there being a trailer hitch of any kind on the back of it. The only thing I can remember dad or me ever pulling with it were stumps and maybe a stubborn fence post And that would have been done with a chain not a hitch.

So this is most likely the first time CHUG has pulled a trailer in at least 60 years. Now ain't  that something?
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2022 at 8:43pm
Great the guy using the trailer today didn't bring it back when he was supposed to so now its going to happen tomorrow evening MAYBE
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2022 at 9:30am
OK finally got to hook up to the trailer and it went kind of well. Physically I have no problem dragging the thing around. it dropped the rear of CHUG about 2" which is about what I expected. If I jump up and down on the front of the trailer I still have plenty of suspension travel. didn't even come close to the bump stops. I only took it up to 35mph on my 1 mile test pull. it steers fine, no trouble there.

The electrical how ever is a bit of a PITA My conversion pig tail worked right off the bat for everything but the tail lights. I ended up just swapping a wire around as the trailer is not wired as std., But it also popped some fuses I had 15 amp fuses on the flasher circuit and the Tail light circuit and both popped.  The trailer has 7 clearance lights and then the Tail lights are the same incandescent Oval pop in's like we used to use on the dump trucks. I have 14ga wires for all my lighting (save the headlights which is 12ga) I'm going to up the Fuses to 25amp. And keep a close eye on things.

BUT now I find out on Homecoming friday I will be expected to take the afternoon off as they expect me to drag the trailer to the local farm store pickup the straw bails and then go take it to the city park while they setup the float. So that eats up at least $90 in pay for the afternoon.

I think you guys are right "LEARN TO SAY NO"

OH well Audreys going to be along the parade route and should get some nice snaps and video.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2022 at 11:40am
....NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED>.......

I feel your pain, I'm that guy...I tell myself the same thing, then someone askes again and I'm like sure I'll help...Geek it was how I was raised.    Last time someone put a board with nails through my 20" planer 2 days after I had just set it up with new knives in preparation for a big kitchen job.   They didn't even ask.  AngryAngryAngryAngry  Or I get the call so in so broke down can you pick them up with your trailer... It is what it is, but I am starting to say no when I can...  
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2022 at 2:09pm
OK went out and hooked up to the trailer again and this time determined something is fubar in the trailers electrical system. The tail light circuit blows what ever fuse I use.

SO we go simple as the parade is at 4pm and I will most certainly be somewhere in the middle of the almost 20 floats (yea I know 20 floats in a High School Homecoming parade!!) so the rig in front of my will be going parade speed and will the rigs behind me once we get the trailer to town. I'm just going to swing by Harbor freight and pickup a couple of their battery powered LED flashing RED lights and stick them on the fenders.

I dragged the trailer through the street with the steep transitions and no trouble. Had the trailer up to 45mph. And while I don't think I would have any trouble at all getting it to 55mph it would take a 1/4 mile to stop it LOL.

So I guess we are a go for lift off on the 7th for the parade.

And yes Lesson learned.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>