Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What IS it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beach Bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What IS it?
    Posted: 05 June 2023 at 7:06pm
A friend of mine came upon a Flat Fender with an Arctic top on it buried out of sight on a neighbors property and asked if I could help him identify it. FWIW the neighbor has passed so there is nobody living that know the background on it. I have not seen it personally and so far only have a very few pictures to go by. Here’s what I know: Flat Fender, Arctic Top (stock windshield is awol), glove box, floor shift, floating rear axles, capstan winch on front, CJ Grill, motor is a flat head (painted red). My guess is that it is a MB or GPW that has had a grille swap. Keep in mind, I have not seen this personally and just have a few pictures. I have no idea how to post pictures on here but if somebody PM’s we with their email I can forward some to you and you could post them for me. Thanks, Don.
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2023 at 7:35pm
restes80@gmail.com
Rick Estes
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2023 at 8:03pm
Having a glove box on a flat fender indicates it may be MB/GPW, or possibly a M38. If you see tool boxes at the rear of the wheel houses that would confirm it is MB/GPW. Grills got changed to CJ grills a lot for the better headlights. In some states the smaller headlights behind the grill were not even legal.

If it truly has a capstan winch those go for a pretty good price, but that does no good unless you can purchase it from the estate.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2023 at 9:20pm
does it have pioneer tool indents? if so are they on the driver (mb/gpw) or passenger (m38) side?
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2023 at 11:05pm
Nice find with (maybe) a capstan winch...
Beach Bum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beach Bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2023 at 11:26pm
More info; I can’t see tool indents on either side, it does not have “Willys” on the side of the hood, it does have a tailgate (I just learned that). So, tailgate = not MB GPW Floating axle and glove box indicate what, early CJ, with floor shift?
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2023 at 5:33am
glovebox+tailgate=repop...that jeep self identifies as a salad with a capstan cherry on top... 

If the bell crank is on the front axle then my GUESS with the floating axle is MB/GPW running gear, who the hell knows on top.  Identifying which capstan, finding any tags or acm or casting or stamped assembly date numbers would go a long way.

In short, the fact that the engine is red simply means that the engine is red Wacko

Edited by mbullism - 06 June 2023 at 5:34am
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Beach Bum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beach Bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2023 at 12:18pm
I knew that the red engine meant nothing, but as for the rest of it, I will see if I get an opportunity to learn more. As far as being able to but it from the estate, I can definitely do that, for $3,000.
 Post Reply Post Reply