Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what motor oil are u using in you willys?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeperkyle46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what motor oil are u using in you willys?
    Posted: 29 Sep. 2008 at 8:34am
im currently using delo SAE 30 oil to just help out with the rings that so desperately needing to be replaced.  And for the thickness of the oil that keeps the compression up hence.

Should i be using a 20w50 or 15w40?

thanks.

(i am soon going to actually get this jeep over here closer to me so i can work on it but money has been tight lately for me as with us all... i do believe.)
'46 cj2a #71673(project)

Rob H. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2008 at 10:56am
Here ya go straight from the owners manual http://thecj2apage.com/om5.html 
Rob H.

1948 CJ2A
bits and pieces of three 3A's
1967-72 Chevy C/10 kinda combined them LOL

contact148 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote contact148 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2008 at 12:30pm
im useing quakerstate 10w30
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2008 at 10:13pm
    Valvoline   sae 30 w    after a break in on a rebuilt

Using Rotella  20w 50  on a  running engine that has been abused and not rebuilt yet
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
jeeperkyle46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeperkyle46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2008 at 12:55am
Originally posted by Rob H. Rob H. wrote:

Here ya go straight from the owners manual http://thecj2apage.com/om5.html 

sorry to say but... duh! 

i meant what all of you are running in your project/toy as the standard oil that "is suppose to" be run is not all ways the case....

but thanks to you other 2 ....  i might run some 20w50 or 15w40 then when i get it over here. 

But first i am going to use either kroil or ATF to clean the joker out...  as i can actually fix it over here better than over where it sits all lonesome in a old tin barn... 

thanks again....
'46 cj2a #71673(project)

hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2008 at 12:59am
Flush it out with kerosene  first..dont let it run for more than 15-25 seconds at idle...drain it out..put in some cheap oil if you can find some..usually comes from  dollar general , dollar stores.....run it a little bit  let it warm up at idle   dump the oil and filter again and put in new good stuff ..you will be amazed on the oil pressure...and also what came loose inside that will need fixing ...valves etc...I did that to a cj5 I got here and it quit smoking  Confused...go figure !!
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
contact148 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote contact148 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2008 at 2:32am
just remeber often on older engines all the crap inside actually is preventing leaks and "cleaning" it out with atf or whatever can cause leaks.......
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2008 at 11:32pm
Pennzoil 10W30.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeperkyle46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2008 at 2:18am
Originally posted by hillbilly21 hillbilly21 wrote:

Flush it out with kerosene  first..dont let it run for more than 15-25 seconds at idle...drain it out..put in some cheap oil if you can find some..usually comes from  dollar general , dollar stores.....run it a little bit  let it warm up at idle   dump the oil and filter again and put in new good stuff ..you will be amazed on the oil pressure...and also what came loose inside that will need fixing ...valves etc...I did that to a cj5 I got here and it quit smoking  Confused...go figure !!

exactly how much kerosene would i add?  

straight kerosene? into the oil fill....?

as i dont want to mess this up... in exactly how to mark how much kero goes in. A gallon nad half then? or more or less?

I am going to ride this thing no matter what gas price is for a gallon for a few months when i get it over here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   i mean i will pay 6bucks a gallon if it reaches that mark here in MS.  haha

I love having this jeep. As its a REAL jeep! with round headlights...

thanks fellas and thanks hillbilly!
'46 cj2a #71673(project)

lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2008 at 10:11pm
Lubrication Specifications

Chassis Lubrication
Transmission and Transfer Case
Differentials -- Front and Rear
Steering Gear
Wheel Bearings
Universal Joints (Front Axle Shaft)
Universal Joints (Propeller Shaft)
Power Take-Off Housing
Air Cleaner
Governor
Engine
Type Lube.
Chassis Lube.
Mineral Gear Oil
Hypoid Oil
Steering Gear Lube.
Wheel Bearing Lube.
Universal Joint Lube.
Chassis Lube.
Mineral Gear Oil
Engine Oil
Engine Oil
Engine Oil
Winter
No. 0
SAE 80
SAE 90
SAE 140
No. 2
No. 0
No. 0
SAE 80
Same Grade as used in engine
See Below
Summer
No. 1
SAE 90
SAE 90
SAE 140
No. 2
No. 1
No. 1
SAE 90
See Below
Above 90º F.................SAE 30
Not Lower than 32º F...SAE 20 or 30
As Low as +10º F........SAE 20 W
As Low as -10º F.........SAE 10 W
To temperatures below -10º F, use SAE 10 W plus 10% kerosene.
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeperkyle46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2008 at 12:29am
i wasnt born  yesterday ... I was taliing about what oil brand fellas....

and what weight... ! and such...

i KNOW the chart says that... But rules and set stuff is meant to be broken just like the kind of weight oil in your 60 year old jeep you can run to make IT run better...

a few of you helped me out by giving your input... then two of you show me the chart. THROW the chart out the window!  haha  i say ....

as atf and kerosene and little tricks of the trade are great to hear!!!!!

: )
'46 cj2a #71673(project)

wyowillys46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyowillys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2008 at 2:28am
An oil thread! The best way to start an argument on an internet car forum.
1946 #27869

Take a look at my webpage:

<a href="http://wyowillys46.awardspace.com">Wyowillys46</a>
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2008 at 2:55am
I guess I can't let this thread go without saying that the oils produces today are not the same as "back in the day" they used a different type of oil. It had alot of "sulfates and things the the flat head cam and lifters needed. The best oil is in the "desiel" oils today. I use Rotella  (SP) 15-50 .   There was a big talk on the G503 about this, it really should be looked at, I don't have the time tonight but if noone comes up with it maybe tommorro I can find it. The fuels we use today and the oils we use are not the same as "back in the day" Detergent oils were not part of the oil system, and that created sludge. The oil system was not designed for todays oils.
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeperkyle46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2008 at 3:31am
Confused sorry just a tought day at work .... tiring. going to bed soon kind of day.
'46 cj2a #71673(project)

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2008 at 3:34pm
See the prior discussion:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=6975
Not to be flippant, but your question has no "correct" answer.  It all depends on where you live & how you use your car.  What weight oil do you use in your "other" vehicles? Use the same.

eg, if I lived in Key West, I'd run 30w all year long.  But I don't, I live in N. Idaho, where temps go from -40 in winter to +110 in summer, so I use 5w-40 all year long.

I would recommend you use an oil that still contains ZDDP, since it is beneficial to older engines.  The new spec " green, ecologically friendly" car oils don't have it any more.  Many of the "truck" oils still do have it.

As for the post w/ the chart from the manual, notice he hi-lighted the last sentence, to answer your question re: kerosene.

Sean
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2008 at 4:06pm
Can someone explain the dif between mineral gear oil and hypoid oil.   Is there a practical difference.   Been runing 90 wt gear oil in the trans and transfer case, same as the differentials.
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2008 at 4:35pm
"Hypoid" oil has extreme pressure ("EP") additives ("Hypoid" & "EP" marked oils are synonymous).  It needs to be used w/hypoid gears (differential ring & pinion), because they generate far higher friction pressures than non-hypoid gears.

Transmission & transfer case have no hypoid gears, so don't need hypoid oil.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeperkyle46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2008 at 4:52am
Originally posted by sean sean wrote:

See the prior discussion:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=6975
Not to be flippant, but your question has no "correct" answer.  It all depends on where you live & how you use your car.  What weight oil do you use in your "other" vehicles? Use the same.

eg, if I lived in Key West, I'd run 30w all year long.  But I don't, I live in N. Idaho, where temps go from -40 in winter to +110 in summer, so I use 5w-40 all year long.

I would recommend you use an oil that still contains ZDDP, since it is beneficial to older engines.  The new spec " green, ecologically friendly" car oils don't have it any more.  Many of the "truck" oils still do have it.

As for the post w/ the chart from the manual, notice he hi-lighted the last sentence, to answer your question re: kerosene.

Sean

yeah i saw that... my bad.  I might do that for winter driving then... but i don't drive this jeep everyday. SO for now it just sits up til i get over to it during the 4 times if not 6 times out of the year for a few holidays (3day weekends) and/or  hunting season!!!!
'46 cj2a #71673(project)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>