Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What specialty tools

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote awfroadan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What specialty tools
    Posted: 17 Nov. 2005 at 9:46am

I'm wondering are there any specialty tools that you own that has made a huge difference in restoring your jeep? Tools like a sand blasting cabinet or a spot welder or anything not in the common household garage. I own a good set to basic tools and air tools. I also have a 20 gallon parts washer. Have access to a welder and oxy acetylene torch. Anything seem to be missing? Thanks 

-Scott in PA
3- 46 2a Rust buckets
1- 47 2a Rust bucket
Someday 1- Restored 46 2a
Harriet View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harriet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2005 at 11:13am
Tool shopping - my favourite pastime!
Seriously, a good hub puller would be high up on my list. Save a lot of huffing and puffing Certainly did for us!

Harriet
46 CJ2A 14509

50 Jeepster
58 4WD Truck

My Link
I AM the understanding wife!
Anyone seen my marbles?
Always hoisted by my own petard!
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2005 at 8:00pm
Books Books and more Books  The biggest help you will ever get.
Ed
cj2a lefty
Mike Gardner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2005 at 8:58pm
a friend at a parts dealer or a part time job there. i get all my chemicals there. that stuff realy adds up.
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
Joshua Sayre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joshua Sayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2005 at 8:24am
Where did you get your hub puller? I was looking into getting one but not sure where to go. 
BC472A105381 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BC472A105381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2005 at 5:00pm
How about  a hydraulic press??? While we are shopping a lift would be great (so we don't get on the ground) .Darn I had to wake up!!!
47CJ2A Princeton Black Purchaced new by my Great-Grandfather!!

70 CJ-5 with 8,000lb. Ramsey winch V-6
Jeff View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2005 at 6:21pm

the good news is you are using this site, that is your best tool!  There is a ton of info available on the 3B page also.

for tools - my favorite buy was a makita electric impact wrench.  sure made/makes things easier.  Everything from changing tires to removing old nuts and bolts.  I did one jeep with and one without, no comparison.  a cut off tool is also essential.

have fun

Harriet View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harriet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2005 at 3:36am
The puller came from Greiners in New Orleans - we spent an afternoon going round in circles until we found a wonderful tool emporium which actually took us seriously! That and the fact that we could actually buy it rather than hire it, Wouldn't want the postage charges from the UK!
Always buy the best you can afford though.

Have Fun,
Harriet
46 CJ2A 14509

50 Jeepster
58 4WD Truck

My Link
Anyone seen my marbles?
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2005 at 8:46pm
Another "have to have" item is a set of taps and dies and a set of easy outs. Before you need any of these, use PB Blaster on every nut and bolt on your project and hit it again in a week or two. In the long run It'll be money well spent
12voltdc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12voltdc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2005 at 11:04pm
Get yourself the correct wheel bearing sockets, I cant remember the sizes right now (front and rear). Spend the money now and thank yourself later!!
Chuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2005 at 8:33pm

Other items of need….

-Full face shield

-Fire extinguisher

-Good lighting

-Lot of power out lets

-Dust mask and respirator

-Creeper

- A box fan

- Pair of mechanics type gloves

47 CJ2A
50 Willys pickup
Jeff View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2005 at 8:39pm

All good suggestions, I should of added to my above post: floor jacks, one is ok, two would be great. 

Jeff

GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2005 at 6:49am

Oh yeh, a dozen roses, and dinner out with the wife once in a while. Sometimes it's the best tool in your box.

Gary

Harriet View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harriet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2005 at 10:30am
Whilst I agree with you Gary, my hubby prefers Beer to roses!
(Found that elusive pink paint yet?)

Harriet
46 CJ2A 14509

50 Jeepster
58 4WD Truck

My Link
Anyone seen my marbles?
awfroadan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote awfroadan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2005 at 2:45pm
Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. Got some of the mentioned tools but didn't think of some of the others.  Thanks
-Scott in PA
3- 46 2a Rust buckets
1- 47 2a Rust bucket
Someday 1- Restored 46 2a
 Post Reply Post Reply