Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What to do after sandblasting?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rootpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What to do after sandblasting?
    Posted: 01 Nov. 2014 at 10:30pm
I just finished sandblasting my frame. Hardest $300 I ever saved. Hahaha. What next? Ospho? How do you use it? I know how to put it on but what about after it dries? Sometimes it's chaulky sometimes it gelatinous. Or is there something else? I have a metal primer too. Please help with some advise. Lol
One step ahead of the HOA
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2014 at 12:08am
Bare metal now. Time to get your primer on. Sandblasting gives enough of a finish on the metal so your paint will "bite" into it.
What paint? Do a search. There are plenty of threads here that can tell you the pros and cons of all the available paints. You can go as simple as rustoleum rusty metal primer and a satin/semi-gloss top coat to the POR15 type industrial paints....don't think too long...now that it's blasted get it covered before it rusts again.Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2014 at 12:32am
Catalyzed epoxy primer, quickly. No point in applying Ospho over sandblasted metal as damar stated.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Rootpass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rootpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2014 at 12:38am
Thanks for the info. What about wiping it down? Just clean rags or soaked in something like laquir thinner? I will be using a zink primer from Rapco

Edited by Rootpass - 02 Nov. 2014 at 12:40am
Grey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2014 at 12:44am
the por-15 system takes care of any prep questions
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2014 at 1:21am
Originally posted by Rootpass Rootpass wrote:

Thanks for the info. What about wiping it down? Just clean rags or soaked in something like laquir thinner? I will be using a zink primer from Rapco

A freshly sandblasted surface should be clean enough to just blow off with compressed air. But if it's not, I would suggest a wax and grease remover solvent wiped on with one cloth and wiped off with another clean cloth.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Rootpass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rootpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2014 at 1:49am
Great. Thanks guys. Wiping and painting in the morning then.
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2014 at 6:45am
I have a bit of collision repair training - Otto is on the right track. Wipe it down with a degreaser and shoot it as follows:

1. etch primer on all bare metal surfaces

2. primer surfacer (also called sandable primer) on all 'visible' surfaces - body exterior, dash, wheelhouses, etc. Anywhere you want the paint to look it's best.
NOTE: PRIMER SURFACER WILL NOT PROTECT THE METAL FROM MOISTURE. It does not seal moisture out.

3. wet sanding / block sanding. If you want a quality finish, this is a crucial step. I won't go into how to do it, but this is the step that separates MAACO from trophy finishes. you may find yourself going from this step back to spraying primer surfacer several times, depending on how smooth you want your final paint job to be. Any blemishes you see in the surface during wet sanding WILL show through your final clear coat or enamel. The old pros will tell you that your paint job will never look better than the wet sanded primer surfacer.

4. Primer sealer. Spray any parts that WON'T get primer surfacer as soon as possible after the etch coat. This assures your best protection against rust and paint delamination. Spray primer sealer on the parts you wet sanded after they have completely dried. Don't trap moisture under the sealer - it guarantees rust.

5 Color Coat. If you're using a base/clear system, read and understand the instructions. If you have ANY questions, call your paint rep. Follow the instructions exactly. If you're using an enamel or lacquer, this is your semi-final step - skip to step 7.

6 Clear coat. You'll only shoot a clear coat if you're using a base/clear system. Again, follow the instructions to the 'T'. Be aware that the reducer you need to thin the clear will vary with the air temperature when you shoot. Using the wrong reducer can end in disaster, sending you all the way back to wet sanding or stripping, depending on how bad it turns out..

7. Color sanding. For single-stage paints like lacquers and enamels, you'll likely shoot several coats of color. For base/clear systems, this applies to the clear coat. Don't worry too much about bugs and drips. It happens to the pros too. Read up on color sanding and 'nibbing' the paint. In this step, you'll sand out runs, bugs, orange peel, and other blemishes with 2000-3000 grit wet sanding. Go very light on the sanding. This stuff is only a few thousandths of an inch thick. If you find you sanded through the color removing the blemish, repaint the entire panel (for small parts) or learn how to 'feather' the paint on larger ones. After color sanding, you can keep applying coats until you're happy with the results. If you're happy with the results and need to remove color sanding scratches, it's time to:

8. Cut and Buff.  Talk to your paint rep about the proper tools and buffing compounds to bring out the final shine in your new paint. Remember that the paint usually has to cure before buffing, or you'll melt your shiny new paint job.

NOTE:
As otto noted, wipe down the surfaces with a surface-prep spray every time you get ready to spray a coat of anything. The only exception should be between layers of clear coats - just follow the manufacturers recommendations.

WARNING:
Always wear a respirator when mixing and spraying paint. This stuff is dangerous. Same goes for dry sanding - wear a dust mask. You don't need to be inhaling the polyester dust, rust particles, and silica dust from sandblasting. 

Did I go over the top?
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
Rootpass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rootpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2014 at 1:14pm
"Did I go over the top?"  

hahaha no just right Les
oldstuf93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldstuf93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2014 at 11:39pm
I would test a small spot with a rag. Some rags will leave lint all over a sandblasted part. the lint will show up same as dirt in the paint. Just use a brush and air gun to clean after sandblasting.
 Also. If you use epoxy primer check the instructions. some need to be coated within 3 to 5 days. they get so hard that topcoats will not bond well. You can get around this by giving it a second coat of typical primer right after E P. That will give you time to do any minor repair work before finish coating.
 My favorite frame paint is Rustolium Red primer and satin black top coat.
 Ray
48 cj2a, 47 Cat d45t, 26 Dodge coupe 340-6pack, 63 Dodge M37, 52 GMC XM211, 70 Dodge Challenger 496-6pack
gearwrencher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gearwrencher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2014 at 9:38pm
Rus,  Sounds like your talking about the body tub , not the frame.  Any thing sand blasted,  I allwas use epoxy primer . Sheet metal I also like self etch primers , than Epoxy prime, than Top coat.  Clear coat is for the hot rods and things that never see the dirt.
Jerry
the 46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the 46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2014 at 11:52pm
As a body man by profession. On all restoration jobs and what I did on my Willys was. Sand blast first. Then if it is in a dry non moist air building it is fine to sit for a bit. Do your metal work, dent pulling, and patch work. After your have that done spray it with an epoxy primer. Sand your primer and do any minor fill work you need to do. Sand fill work and spray with epoxy primer again and sand with nothing greater than 400 grit before you paint. 
46 CJ2A (45150) - "My Other Girl"
48 CJ2A (169196)
Bantam T3-C (913), M100
NDFCC - Pres.
--------------------
And a bunch of Farmall tractors.
 Post Reply Post Reply