Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What to do with this T90?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2018 at 2:55am
Nice job on rebuilding that T90 Steve.Thumbs UpIt’s looking good.

Giles
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
BrianJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2018 at 2:59am
Steve,

I forgot to mention it, but I had an issue with the C springs in the synchro assy that came with my Crown rebuild kit.  They were too stiff and a bit larger than the older ones (I may have an old thread on this).  I couldn't shift it after it was reassembled.  I ended up using the original springs and new dogs (it actually wore a few down trying to force it to shift).

I left my 2nd gear alone (Novak suggested I replace it).  I figured with new dogs, new detent springs/balls, and some shift tower maintenance that I would take a chance.  It's never popped out of second.

The gaskets got picked up today and went 2 day priority so you should have them by the weekend. I still used sealant (the right stuff) on the bearing retainer (the original gasket wasn't thick enough and made it dump oil).  I figured extra sealant didn't hurt anything.  
Brian Jenkins

1946 CJ2A - SN: 12275
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2018 at 3:38am
Originally posted by BrianJ BrianJ wrote:

I forgot to mention it, but I had an issue with the C springs in the synchro assy that came with my Crown rebuild kit.  They were too stiff and a bit larger than the older ones (I may have an old thread on this).  I couldn't shift it after it was reassembled.  I ended up using the original springs and new dogs (it actually wore a few down trying to force it to shift).

I had the same issue with the crown springs that came in my novack kit. Could NOT shift it, reused the originals with new dogs and all is well.  FWIW, I've since picked up some omix springs and they appear like the originals. Haven't tried them, but noticeably better looking than the crown... go figure.

I also have another trans that was reportedly refurbed before I all but had it given to me.  Upon cracking it open everything looks new (so I believe the refurb story so far) but all three dogs are broken.  I totally expect to find the heavy crown springs in that syncro hub.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2018 at 9:14am
Now you guys tell me this Wink 

I noticed that the new dog springs were a little stiffer, but I did use them - ugh. I assumed the old ones were just weak from age. I noticed the clutch hub is a bit harder to move, but I havent tried it with the shift tower. I still need to assemble it. I really don't want to have to tear it back down again. But if it wont shift, I'll have to.......Confused
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2018 at 10:28am
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

Now you guys tell me this Wink 

I noticed that the new dog springs were a little stiffer, but I did use them - ugh. I assumed the old ones were just weak from age. I noticed the clutch hub is a bit harder to move, but I havent tried it with the shift tower. I still need to assemble it. I really don't want to have to tear it back down again. But if it wont shift, I'll have to.......Confused

If you can move it by hand I wouldn't think it would be an issue.  I could not move mine by hand with the crown springs, and it was difficult using a lever.  It just seemed the shift forks were headed for an early grave the way it was so I reused the original springs.

The one I have with the broken dogs was reportedly refurbed and installed in a frame off 2A, which was then sold.  Shortly after, the new owner had problems with it jamming, to the point he would have to turn it off and move the TC to N to get it to free up.  He replaced the trans with a used unit and moved the jeep down the road.  I hadn't gotten around to tearing it down, but now with this spring thing coming up here I may just to prove or disprove my suspicions...

ETA:  here is a pic of the crown spring on the bottom/left...(90% positive they were crown) with the Omix spring on the top/right.  The Omix is much closer to the "originals" that I reused  YMMV

Edited by mbullism - 12 Dec. 2018 at 10:48am
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2018 at 11:28am
Mine is very stiff and very hard to move the clutch sleeve.  In the back of my head, I was a little concerned when assembling it.  But since I had not seen any mention of this issue before, I assumed it was normal for new parts. Funny thing is I initially installed the old springs because it was easier to do.  But then decided to put the new ones in Unhappy. In hindsight, I should have stayed with the old ones. I'll take the mainshaft out and changes them.

Yes, the new ones are Crown.  Like in your photo, they have square section rather than round wire as the originals are. 
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2018 at 12:03pm
Brian mentions the stiffer springs wearing the dogs... this is what I'm up against in my spare
Again, can't be sure if this was caused by stiff springs til I tear it down... if another data point helps I can do that this weekend.  It's coming apart eventually anyway Wink
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2018 at 12:39pm
That wear makes sense.  When I first tried assembling the dogs, springs, hub and sleeve, I couldn't compress the springs/dogs enough push the hub/sleeve together.  Taking it back apart I noticed the dogs were a little scrapped up, so I cleaned them up with a stone.  I then put the old springs in and it went together fine.  Looking at the Stivers video, his "new" way of assembling them is to put the dogs in place without the springs, assemble the hub/sleeve, THEN install the springs after the hub and sleeve are together.  After seeing that, with the hub assembled, I removed the old spring and installed the new ones. That is a much easier way to do it. In hindsight, I should have left the old ones in.

A lot of people say these are easy transmissions to rebuild.  They are pretty simple, but there are lot of little tricks and nuances to learn along the way.  I've watched the Stivers, Schnitzle and Metal Shaper videos, read Novaks instructions and countless forum posts.  I've learned something new and different from each source, and clearly continue to learn.  But the learning curve is steep when you've never done one of these.  
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2018 at 12:44pm
Been there, done that LOL... wish I could tell you I only put mine together once Wink

Whats hard to see in the dog pics is that the ends that retain the spring are broken off, all three, so that they can slide forward Confused

Edited by mbullism - 12 Dec. 2018 at 12:46pm
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2018 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Been there, done that LOL... wish I could tell you I only put mine together once Wink

Whats hard to see in the dog pics is that the ends that retain the spring are broken off, all three, so that they can slide forward Confused

Broken off - wow, that took a lot of pressure. Try Stivers new way of assembling them, it works really well.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2018 at 10:03pm
I got the clutch hub springs changed this afternoon. It took me the better part of an hour and a half. About 15 minutes to remove the mainshaft, another 10 to disassemble the mainshaft, 5 to change the springs out. Then another hour to put the blasted thing back together. For some reason I had a heck of time getting everything lined up properly. I must have installed and removed the mainshaft 5 or 6 times until I finally got everything right. When I put it together yesterday for the first time, it went together easily - go figure! Grrrrr

So here are the Crown springs I took out. They are made of square section steel, not round wire like the originals. So for the benefit of someone reading this in the future - do not use these. They are way too strong. Now that I put the originals back in, the clutch sleeve slides and snaps into place nicely. Whew!

Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2018 at 10:16pm

When I put it together yesterday for the first time, it went together easily - go figure! Grrrrr
I take that "going together easily" as a sure sign something is wrong.  I think this is covered by one of Murphy's Laws.   Wink 
BrianJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2018 at 11:05pm
Hey that's not so bad.  Don't put the clutch disc in backwards.  You can, then you can reinstall the whole thing and think you are done.  Only it won't disengage and the flywheel is completely engaged.

I now marked the disc with a rotary engraver...

Brian Jenkins

1946 CJ2A - SN: 12275
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2018 at 11:27pm
That’s how I did it “backwards”. Makes a heck of a racket and don’t work right. But it goes together easily. It was much harder the second time. I continue to do things this way. I guess to gain experience. 
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2018 at 12:25am

Now that I put the originals back in, the clutch sleeve slides and snaps into place nicely. Whew!

Thumbs Up
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2018 at 12:28am
Tonight I reassembled the shift tower with new poppet balls and spring. The old shift rail caps were in good shape, so I reinstalled them with a light coat of gasket sealer. 

I have no illusions about this transmission being completely leak free. But I made every effort to seal all the potential leak points. I'll use Brian's full face front gasket and it has a sealed front bearing. It's over 70 years old, I don't mind a few drips. So here are a couple glamor shotsBig smile

WKWillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKWillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2018 at 2:22am
Really nice! Great job.
'48 CJ2a "Snakeskin"
'50 M38 "Thunder from Heaven"
'52 M38a1 "Patina"
'47 T3c
'48 T3c
'52 M100
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2018 at 2:48am
Thanks for sharing this Steve. I’m about to pull mine out to find out what all the noise is about. This thread will undoubtedly help me and many others. 

Edited by Mike F - 14 Dec. 2018 at 4:44am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>