Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What type of Engine Analyzer do you use?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What type of Engine Analyzer do you use?
    Posted: 03 Aug. 2022 at 1:53pm

Looking to find a good Engine Analyzer for my CJ2A. Actually I just bought two off of Evil Bay then I thought I should ask here about them.  I bought these because I wanted analog readouts for testing. So what do you folks use/like or dislike in these type of units?

The ones I bought perform OHMs, Volt, Dwell, RPMs and AMPs test/readings.  Both were Sears models, I only bought two because right after I bought one I found another that was in better condition, added function and seemed like a overall better deal (bottom picture). One was a Sears Engine Analyzer 28-21423 and the other was a Sears model 161.210400. Both came with case, cables and instructions. 

Suffer Fools, Gladly!
U.S. Army Iraq Veteran (ret.)
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2022 at 2:00pm
  Wow. Nice units. I would much rather have a good analog meter than a digital any day, for our uses. If you decide to let one of those go, please let me know. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
ACRay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2022 at 9:53pm
We do 99% classics so, we have some museum looking (look new), fully working Sun machines for everything from the distributor machine to the performance analyzer.   I'm a little newer generation so they're teaching me how to use this while I teach them how to use EFI Live to tune an LS after a swap hahaha
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2022 at 11:49pm
Either of those will work well. I have used a few Sears units like those for decades. While my Sears units burned up in a barn fire, I have a similar, home assembled, Heath-Kit one that works well.

I also like the analog units. I have used digital units & they work fine for some things. However if I have to choose just one, it will be an analog unit.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2022 at 8:49am
I have the more featured Sears unit you show. I think I have had it since 1979 when my grandma bought it for me while I was taking auto tech in college.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2022 at 5:58am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Wow. Nice units. I would much rather have a good analog meter than a digital any day, for our uses. If you decide to let one of those go, please let me know. 
BW 

Bruce, PM sent.
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
43 Flat-Fender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 43 Flat-Fender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2022 at 8:15am
Anybody else still using this?  I've had this "Sun Kit" since the mid 70's?  I enjoy breaking it out to check the Dwell, Compresion, Vacuum and Timing on the L-134 now and then.  Brings back lots of memories of turning wrenches before everything went "Electronic".

Rob
GPW 94445 (DOD 01-25-43) Built in Louisville KY
Engine: MB341746
"Faithful Steed" since 1967
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2022 at 8:27am

That there is some good stuff ^^^
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2022 at 12:47pm
woah!
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
TMRoper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMRoper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2022 at 7:35am
I found one of those at a garage sale for $15.00 and had never been used! Works great!
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2022 at 11:14pm
I probably should get with the program, but I have worked on cars for more than half a century without any of these high tech gizmos and it is hard to change at my age. I can get an engine running right with a feeler gauge, my ears, and gut instinct. 

I do have a timing light, and occasionally even use it.

Bear in mind this is coming from a man who still uses a flip phone.   

Edited by Oldpappy - 13 Aug. 2022 at 11:16pm
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2022 at 7:37am

I'm a bit of a tune by ear guy too but there are some things I like about these meters.  They are nice to back up my ears with numbers.  I also like using the dwell function to indicate possible worn distributor bushings.  And to be honest, try as I might, I've never had much luck checking OHMs with my ears. 
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2022 at 10:09am
I have to admit I do use a meter for diagnosis of electrical problems, my ear doesn't work for that either.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
43 Flat-Fender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 43 Flat-Fender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2022 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by wfopete wfopete wrote:

I also like using the dwell function to indicate possible worn distributor bushings.

That is primarily what I use the "Meter" for too,  setting and checking Dwell and observing the slight deviation of Dwell with RPM change.  

I long ago stopped using the "Timing Light" on the L-134 and instead set it by "Feel" .... RPM and Vacuum observation and match it to "Regular Fuel 87 Octane". 

I'm "Confusselled" when folks put in Premium and think it will work better in the L-134.  Engine Timing needs to Match/Change as Octane of the Fuel changes.  I've found no need for higher octane in these engines.  Modern computer controlled engines do that for you but the L-134 and a Mechanical Advance Distributor are best setup to a specific Octane of Fuel .... and stay with that fuel.  YMMV

Edited by 43 Flat-Fender - 14 Aug. 2022 at 2:24pm
Rob
GPW 94445 (DOD 01-25-43) Built in Louisville KY
Engine: MB341746
"Faithful Steed" since 1967
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2022 at 1:14pm
wfopete is your jeeps electrical system 12 volt or 6 volt. I looked at the manuals for both meters you displayed and they are for 12 volt systems. Does it matter? Have you used these meters yet and how did they perform?
Doing very little research some say it matters, some say it doesn’t. Some say using a 12 volt meter on a six volt system’s tach/dwell function is ok. Reason I’m asking is because I bought an analog meter which did not designate the design voltage that crapped out in a couple of uses. So far I have not been able to find a meter listed for 6 volts.
Would anyone here have some input on the issue of the 12 volt meters accuracy when used on a six volt system?
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2022 at 1:24pm

Both are for 12volt system which is what mine is.  I have not used either yet but will later this week. 

Suffer Fools, Gladly!
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2022 at 2:20pm
with a lot of Dwell Tach's  you could power the meter with a 12V battery and read the dwell in a 6V distributor.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2022 at 4:18pm
Thanks for the replies guys. 

I would like to find a meter for the 6 volt system. I really don’t know if they ever existed unless they were one of the large shop machines.

1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>