Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Suggestions and Comments for the CJ2A website
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What would you like to see on thecj2apage.com?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 12:59am
FAQ example.  There are numerous great threads on how to time an engine, determine TDC, Timing marks and so on.  One way to deal with putting this info in one place would be for someone to distill all of this info into a coherent "How to" article.  Another would be just to assemble the best of the threads on that topic under the FAQ "L134 engine timing issues".  I am such a dunce that I need to read several "how to" articles before I come close to understanding something.  One guy may explain it just a little different than another guy and all of a sudden a light comes on.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 1:07am
Agreed with the comments on not making it too like the Gee.. I like to check the new topics and see if there is anything I can give some intelligent(??) input into to help someone out. Or I can possibly stir the pot a little in some "hot" topic..lol. If it gets so you need to look in the carb section for carb, ignition for ignition etc, it may get too specific.

Oh, and we need a section on how to install Scout motors in pristine column shift 2a's.. right? Wink

And it wouldn't be bad to have a calendar of events all on one page. listing regularly held events with links to specific event info.  (And include shows like Carlisle and hershey and Bennington as well.)
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Rob H. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 1:09am
Russ, I can see alot of things that need to be changed, just little things. At the bottom of the page there is still a description of the green 2a that used to be at the top of the home page. The CJ2A owners pics page, the last I looked at it is still near the same as Johnny had it in 01 or 02 when I first started haunting this page(Wow just doesn't seem it's been that long). When I first found this page it was because I'd traded my fullsize Bronco with a bad transmission for what I thought was a great Willys jeep LOL (Boy was I wrong LOL). I wanted to learn more, so I started searching the internet and stumbled across this site, I was hooked but was also still fairly computer illiterate, I had also just got my computer and hooked up on the internet shortly after I'd traded for my 48. My computer skills have grown and my knowledge of Jeeps as a whole (not just our 2a's) thanks to this website! Yes this is all just worthless trivial information about my personal experience LOL, sorry to ramble. In the last few years thanks mostly to the members of this sight so much more has been learned and shared about our 2a's. So really the history section needs updated. So many more vintage ads and articles have come to light. Perhaps even a area to show vintage jeep photos of members jeeps or ones their families have owned. Perhaps an annually updated shows picture area(it is a bit past 2006 LOL) I'm just throwing out ideas, you do have a daunting task. I have the home page saved to my favorites but I just skip straight to the forum now, I think most of us oldtimers to the site do. But the home page should be eye catching and informative to the new 2a owner looking for information. I don't know maybe people anymore just look for the forum link? I've rambled enough for one day Wink and maybe haven't even made a point LOL. 
Rob H.

1948 CJ2A
bits and pieces of three 3A's
1967-72 Chevy C/10 kinda combined them LOL

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 1:15am
Where's trader_reed when we need him?  Wink   He was bugging Russ for a few months to update the Web site and now he stops by (today) and hasn't had peep to say on this topic!  C'mon Matt! 
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 1:22am
He must be busy under a bonnet or fixing a wing! LOL

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 2:32am
We all want to clean up this forum. There are alot of great things I agree with here... Most of us oldies have heard the same question a dozen times. It's simple to say we won't have to deal with this with a new "FORMAT"...
I think we can try, I think we can improve this big time,... I think that alot of us, be it newbie or oldtimer, still look to be of help to a "need help today" thread. It gives the responder some sense of helping out the community here (and they are).
Along the same line, on time and personal responses are a part of what makes this website special.
This is something that can't be compromised, something speicial here.
..........Think about the last few months of "newbies" that have found us here.
I have to say that everything in the previous posts I AGREE WITH 100% I do, the FAQ is something not often used here. I like the idea of expanding on the "parts project" if it doesn't dillut the original intention. 
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 3:23am
Originally posted by F Bill F Bill wrote:

If it gets so you need to look in the carb section for carb, ignition for ignition etc, it may get too specific.

I agree also with the first part of FBill's post but this is the part I feel the strongest about......getting too specific could be a detriment I think. If we keep breaking it down farther and farther we'll need a search function just to find the forum we're looking for.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 4:40am
Russ,
How about a section just for rebuilds.  The main page has a few rebuild links with good pics and some video.  It would be nice to have a section showing good rebuilds for various parts.  Of course you may have to set some rules to post there so that accuracy is maintained and parts are properly listed.  It is always good to have photos of the steps of the rebuild. 
As far as the parts section goes.  What about getting a picture of the exact part listed.  For example if I want to look at part number "xxxxx" I would also see that part in a picture.  That is a lot of work for some one to do but perhaps some one would be willing to start it and then others can follow and give time.
Just a couple of thoughts.
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 1:49pm
Ralf:
Quote ... There are numerous great threads on how to time an engine, determine TDC, Timing marks and so on.  One way to deal with putting this info in one place would be for someone to distill all of this info into a coherent "How to" article...
I've been doing that the last couple of days.  Almost done

Other similar "frequent" topics need the same.

Sean
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Night0wl Night0wl wrote:

Russ,
How about a section just for rebuilds. 

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but I thought that's what the Your Jeep Project section was useful for(?)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 2:06pm
Dave:
Quote As far as the parts section goes.  What about getting a picture of the exact part listed.  For example if I want to look at part number "xxxxx" I would also see that part in a picture.
That is what it's there for, but it's up to us to provide the photos.  It got off to a good start, but has slowed down recently, though Howard has been posting photos & part numbers.

We ALL have to participate & post photos, can't leave it up to Russ.

Biggest problem I see with it is photos posted from "FREE" hosts (like photobucket, snapfish, etc) keep disappearing.

Sean
Howard View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 3:05pm

I do not know how all this computer stuff works...I am a nuts and bolts guy...but the capability of this site to allow us to easily post quality photos is a tremendous asset. It is rather simple and easy to do with a minimal amount of resource needed from the member to participate.

Roc, your comment about to much detail is also one of my fears in this potential reorganization.
For technical data...
I like the recognized method of using the 'Group'and 'Description' numbers in referance to our service parts lists for a 'Table of Contents'. Like in the parts lists...it is a common denominator we can all use to locate certain information about a specific part or procedure. This organization has already been set up in the books and would help us all to learn the proper terminology and allow us to communicate better with each other. This same format could apply to several aspects of the site. I think Sean is already using this same format as well.
It is important that we don't contaminate one section with information belonging to another...for example...so it would require some occasional houskeeping.
I have reservations about any one person, Sean or Russ, come to mind Big smile, for the obvious reasons, being responsible for keeping track of this stuff and making corrections and such. On the other hand, someone has to carry the ball. So I do not know how this type of organization could work without everyone paying attention to keeping a common format.
Some sections of these sites obviously do not work as originally intended. For me it is also some misunderstanding. 'Your Jeep Project' is one of those. The G has so many forums to look at that it is overwelming and difficult to navigate and keep track of while participating. I found myself having to write down the threads I was participating in just to keep track...it became no fun....and I was even criticized and chastised by one for not doing it 'right'...what a load of crap...
More thoughts...
Howard
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by sean sean wrote:

Ralf:
Quote ... There are numerous great threads on how to time an engine, determine TDC, Timing marks and so on.  One way to deal with putting this info in one place would be for someone to distill all of this info into a coherent "How to" article...
I've been doing that the last couple of days.  Almost done

Other similar "frequent" topics need the same.

Sean
I am posting this to emphasize the point that the top-level topics (for whatever solution is implemented to deal with FAQ) should be more at the level of granularity that Sean mentions, than at the level of individual parts.  Another example of an appropriate topic is troubleshooting starting problems.  Part of that topic would reference the topic just mentioned by Sean.

Also, while I understand the concern for the larger forum to be subdivided into too many sub-forums, I think that the FAQ topics are sufficiently different from the Parts Project, that it not be made a component of that sub-forum.

The last point is in response to Sean's observation about disappearing pictures hosted at "free" photo hosting sites.   I will start another topic under the help and support for the forum area, but the overall point is that most, but not all, of the photo hosting sites have terms of service agreements that require you to buy something at some interval or they will "put your photos in the attic" as the metaphor of one site says.   Some are better than others - a topic for another sub-forum and thread.
Sam

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 5:17pm
Howard's point about the hosting sites is very valid....seems most use that. I, on the other hand would rather just use the browse feature here and pull them off my own picture file. Like he said, that is alot easier and is also why I tend to hyperventilate Embarrassed when we lose that feature in an upgrade.....I really don't want a host site for pictures......don't use them, you won't lose pictures (I don't think)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Harriet View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harriet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 5:58pm
I know this is not strictly what's been asked for, but unless I've missed it, could there be a facility for the threads to be printed out easily?

Back to relevance (?), a diagram showing where the relevant ID numbers are.
Thinking about the home page, something that comes to mind is the fact that it is a list of available pages which have too long an explanation. I know it's difficult, but perhaps just "CJ2A History" instead of the longer line it is at the mo (or something along those lines!).
Apart from that, the slideshow is great, but I think the front page needs to be more graphic. perhaps the use of buttons?
Approve
46 CJ2A 14509

50 Jeepster
58 4WD Truck

My Link
I AM the understanding wife!
Anyone seen my marbles?
Always hoisted by my own petard!
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 6:21pm
the printing feature is kind of hidden, but its under the  share topic drop down menu. It is the first one in the list.

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 6:23pm

Originally posted by Brachus12 Brachus12 wrote:

Jpet:
I think he's looking for ideas for the website itself and not the forum since this question was in the Suggestions and Comments for the CJ2A website section and not the Suggestions and Comments for the forum section. 

Originally posted by russnj russnj wrote:

……. The website, not the forum will be getting a total make over.
Russ

I’m confused.

Can I talk about changing the forum here in this post now?
Is there a possibility that the forum will be changing?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 6:25pm
I learn something new every day!  Thanks for raising the print thread issue, Harriet!
Sam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>