Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Suggestions and Comments for the CJ2A website
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What would you like to see on thecj2apage.com?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 9:21pm
The search terms are at the end of the URL if you'd just look!  Wink  And, they work fine for me.  Are you trying to use that silly iPhone? Wink

1  is "fasten windshield" with no quotes

2 is "twist thing" with no quotes   (and while you are there on page 4 of the quotes, look at low's post!)
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 9:43pm
Roc,
What I ment about a rebuild page was not the members whole Jeep but specific parts.  For instance there are a couple of rebuild projects on the main CJ-2A.com page.  Some one did a pretty good rebuild on a T90 with lots of pics and step by step.  I think they also did a warn overdrive too with lots of pics and explaining of what they are doing during the rebuild.  Does that make sense?  So what I was suggesting is a section just for detailed rebuilds.  Such as a detailed rebuiled of a distributor, or starter and so on.  Members projects page just show little bits and pieces.  Some a little more then others but the specific rebuilds like what I am refering too would be for individual parts and not just the whole Jeep project.  Would make searching a lot easier.

Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 10:04pm
I understand.......Thumbs Up

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 10:45pm
This thing is getting off track. (my fault)  I do not mean to debate that someone who knows how to use the search engine effectively, or even reasonably effective, can find the information they are looking for.  What I am saying is that people, including myself, don't always use it properly, and some don't use it at all.  I don't think there is anything we can do to improve this.  We have a sticky how-to.  I think that roc agrees with this.

Maybe I misunderstand.

Originally posted by samcj2a samcj2a wrote:

Russ,

The value of a FAQ section on the Web site would be that it would be structured with headings and links that made sense.  I suppose that a read only forum (stickies, I suppose) could accomplish the same thing.  I'm under no illusion that people would actually read either one before blurting out their question.  Of course after a few of us point them to the answers that are there, they will learn to go there first or at least pretend they did ("I searched but couldn't find anything about hard starting" LOL).

Why don't you try it with a new sub-forum since the mechanisms are already in place.  If it works out, you could put a link from the FAQ on the Web site to that forum.

One thing that a FAQ on the Web site could do better than a forum is to provide links to a page worth of information at a time.  The borders and trappings of the forum take up a lot of space.   Of course, searching within a forum is more powerful than Find in a browser window.  I suppose there are search tools for Web sites, too, though.  Bottom line, I think a new forum - you could call it, "FAQ" Big smile - is worth a try.
If training on the search engine is all we need, why would we need to do this?

Are you not suggesting the same thing that I am except that the FAQ page has links to forums? Same concept but different method (which I am fine with).

One more question.  On your PC, where do you keep your files?  Do you put them all on C drive and do a search when you want to find one or do you put them in sub folders?  If you keep them in sub folders, why?  If you keep them all on C drive, never mind.

Maybe we are in agreement.  I can't tell.
SmileSmileSmileSmile

CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 11:38pm
I only gave the Search examples for fun - particularly the twist thing search since I derived it from your example which I took to be an attempt to poke fun at a sometimes difficult task.

Also, before being explicit about my own vision for the FAQ, I will say that I believe that there are several different means of implementing it which would be satisfactory, and I'm quite sure that I have not thought of them all.

If it were up to me, I would implement the FAQ as a new sub-forum that would look similar in structure to the Parts Project but would not be organized by part, but, instead, by topics of recurring interest, a number of which have already been mentioned as examples.  I would have the entries in the sub-forum moderated so that only the moderator or Russ could add or change the content, though any member could submit suggested new content that could be used, edited, or not used as the moderator saw fit.   Also, I would suggest that the content be maintained as threads so that the moderator could add an entire thread that would be immediately useful without having to take the time to edit the information to create a single, comprehensive dissertation on a topic until that moderator was ready and willing to devote the time to it, if ever.  I think, too, that threads from other sub-forums that are selected for inclusion should be duplicated in the FAQ sub-forum so that they also may be found in their original form and location.   The forum software may already allow this since I think the thread content lives in a database and is displayed dynamically when you click on a link to the thread.  (That's why all the URLs to threads look like queries.)  If the moderator chose to distill a thread into a new version, then the topic thread would be the only instance of that information in the large forum, and, at the option of the moderator, could be a single long post with or without links to details or related information.

As I said, while this is how I'd do it, I'm sure there are other workable schemes.

I have many sub-folders on my PCs.   I also try to separate stuff that needs to be backed up regularly from static things like software and downloads just to make backups quicker and smaller.   I hardly ever use Find or whatever the search feature is called.

As you said, this has gotten off track, though many threads do! EmbarrassedLOLCry

Sam

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 11:52pm
Sam,

I think that we agree on the subject.

Another suggestion that I have is an area or sticky thread for logistics.  As you know, I travel from time to time usually by car or truck and especially from the midwest to the east and back.  If I knew who needed what transported where, I could probably help out from time to time and usually at no cost to the member(s)

Edited by jpet - 14 Jan. 2010 at 11:53pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2010 at 12:04am
Now where were my black socks?Wink
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2010 at 12:07am
Originally posted by F Bill F Bill wrote:

Now where were my black socks?Wink
on one of jpet's Jeeps! LOL
Sam

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2010 at 1:39am
In your dryer like all mine are.   (well, mine are in my dryer not yours.....I probably wouldn't be able to find them if they were in yours......my search function doesn't work that way) Hug

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2010 at 2:02am
Oh that's funnnay guys EmbarrassedCry This ain't over!Evil Smile

Edited by jpet - 15 Jan. 2010 at 2:27am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Rob H. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2010 at 2:46am
The dryer always eats them!Wink
Rob H.

1948 CJ2A
bits and pieces of three 3A's
1967-72 Chevy C/10 kinda combined them LOL

Scott R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2010 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by samcj2a samcj2a wrote:

If it were up to me, I would implement the FAQ as a new sub-forum that would look similar in structure to the Parts Project but would not be organized by part, but, instead, by topics of recurring interest, a number of which have already been mentioned as examples.  I would have the entries in the sub-forum moderated so that only the moderator or Russ could add or change the content, though any member could submit suggested new content that could be used, edited, or not used as the moderator saw fit.   Also, I would suggest that the content be maintained as threads so that the moderator could add an entire thread that would be immediately useful without having to take the time to edit the information to create a single, comprehensive dissertation on a topic until that moderator was ready and willing to devote the time to it, if ever.  I think, too, that threads from other sub-forums that are selected for inclusion should be duplicated in the FAQ sub-forum so that they also may be found in their original form and location.  

Clap Clap 
While reading through several pages of reponses, I was thinking about how I was going to word what I'd like to see in a FAQ page. Then I came across Sam's post and he hit it exactly.

So put me down for a big DITTO!

Also; within this site there are many gold nuggets of information that often doesn't fall into the frequently asked category. Unfortunately these gems, becasue the topic doesn't come up often, gets buried in the archives. As it's been discussed some very good info may not come up in a forum search because a guy/gal didn't use the right search words. 

I'd like to see the "nuggets" preserved in a section on the home page like the 3B site does.

Edited by Scott R - 16 Jan. 2010 at 4:53pm
Michigan Flat Fender Club on Facebook

1949 CJ2A #221621

1965 CJ-5
brokinluck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokinluck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2010 at 1:10am

Id like to see all special built jeeps rather it be multi fuel carb systems from the 1950s to any strange industry modifactions ever used.Perhaps a strange mod forum to post and read about what others have.

rebel*wheeler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel*wheeler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2010 at 11:20am
it would make it simpler if there where more shortcuts on the main page. and then again on the sub pages for the most activly used
uncle steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2010 at 1:06am
Rus,
Has it ever been suggested to have a parts BEST OFFER thread ?   Example.. 1946 Headlight bezels. Please PM best offer see photo.

Edited by uncle steve - 08 Mar. 2010 at 1:07am
Uncle Steve, and I hate it when people say   " boy are you lucky " WHEN in fact..The harder you work, the luckier you are
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2010 at 1:23am
Clever, Steve!  Any offers yet?  LOL
Sam

uncle steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2010 at 1:35am
Sam,
 Actually they are NOT 2a  Bezels ( large ones )  They came off  54833, but PO had replaced HL buckets with larger ones Probably 3b orM38 cj5..  The marker light bezels were sold long ago.  But I do think The Best Offer thread would be cool.. Everyone knows what they are willing to pay for an item, and it would not be a competition between members like an auction would be. What  are your thoughts ? They were posted as an example of how a Best offer thread would work..  No I have not had any offers.
Steve

Edited by uncle steve - 08 Mar. 2010 at 1:37am
Uncle Steve, and I hate it when people say   " boy are you lucky " WHEN in fact..The harder you work, the luckier you are
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2010 at 2:09am
Steve, I'm sorry to have not taken your post at face value.  I really thought you were doing an end run around the rules of the for sale section. Embarrassed

I'm cool to the idea of an "offers" section.  It seems too much like an auction with a floating reserve.  In other words, the seller can renege, waiting for higher offersEmbarrassed while prospective buyers are in the dark.  I think it could lead to bad behavior, particularly among those who drop in just to sell something and have not already become part of our community, so to speak.   If the idea is to address the situation where a seller is not confident of what something should sell for, they can always list it for sale at a comfortably high price in the for sale section and indicate that offers will be considered.  IF it doesn't sell, they can lower the price or give up.

Edited by samcj2a - 08 Mar. 2010 at 2:11am
Sam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>