Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What year is my 134?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1948willysjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What year is my 134?
    Posted: 14 Aug. 2018 at 10:28pm
I just picked up a 134 with a serial number of: J207115. I get the j2  part as cj2. Does this mean it's from a 1945 jeep? I can't  find a database that clearly defines it. Thanks for helping.
DonH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2018 at 11:00pm
The J indicates an engine with timing gears, the serial number is 207115 and that is 1948.

DonH
1946CJ2A
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2018 at 1:39am
Originally posted by 1948willysjeeper 1948willysjeeper wrote:

I can't  find a database that clearly defines it. Thanks for helping.

No disrespect intended, but you couldn't have tried very hard.  This is hands down the most data rich Willys site on the entire internet.  There is an entire section dedicated to historical data.

This is just a small sample of what has been accumulated...  http://cj-2a.com/parts_list/CJ2A_data.php

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
1948willysjeeper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1948willysjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2018 at 2:28am
I'm pretty dumb. If it ain't spelled out real good for me I get confused. I didn't understand that the j2 meant two different things. I was putting them together. Sorry for the dumb question. But I got the answer I needed by the first gentlemen that responded. Thanks.
Jeff_Davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff_Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2018 at 4:44am
There are a bunch of possible prefixes for the L134 (flathead) engine.  The most common prefixes you will encounter:
MA - Willys  WWII
MB - Willys  WWII
CJ2A - early
****  above engines have chain drive timing into early CJ2a production
J - CJ2A late
3J - CJ3A or DJ3A
MC - M38 and some other Mil uses; generators
4L - Generic replacement engine
R - replacement engine... Used in front or behind one of the above, for example "RMC" or "4LR"
Remember also that if the engine was rebuilt (and most have been!), and the head mating area decked for flatness, the original serial numbers can be milled right off - blank.  Then, in some cases, the shop doing the work may have hand stamped new ID's to the land.

There were two alpha SUFFIX letters that were used from the factory for engines that had been factory fitted with non-standard rod and main bearings, or oversize pistons:
A - 0.010 undersize rod and main journals
B - 0.010 oversize pistons
AB - both the above conditions

Good luck with your new engine find - hope it is a solid block that you can rebuild.
Cheers, Jeff

Jeff
1947 Willys CJ2A Las Flores, Provinca de Buenos Aires, Argentina
1951 Willys M38 Flightline jeep (Southeast Florida)
1954 M-100 USMC Trailer
1954 FORD F-100 parts chaser, 292 V8 Y-Block
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2018 at 12:54pm
At the end of the day, there are no stupid questions.  Everyone here started out at the same place.  At the beginning of the day, sometimes questions asked while surrounded by the answer can get repetitive.  Not to you, but to anyone else doing a search for the same info is all.  

That said, this forum is THE place to get answers to all things 2A.  Don’t bother with the search feature here, go right to advanced search and most reasonably crafted advance searches will return a plethora of information on point... if all else fails, ask LOL  2A info is spotty in places, and frequently not black or white.
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
 Post Reply Post Reply