Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What year pressure relief valve?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What year pressure relief valve?
    Posted: 08 Apr. 2012 at 12:21am
What year did the pressure relieve valve in the oil pump change from ball-and-spring to plunger-and-spring? Was it at the time as the switch from chain-drive cam to gear-drive? ...R

Edited by JeepRoger - 08 Apr. 2012 at 12:29am
Roger in California
'46 CJ2A 38503
'47 CJ2A 142084
'46 T3C Bantam trailer
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2012 at 1:56pm
All were plunger.
JeepRoger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2012 at 3:50pm
Sean - thanks for the quick response. Since we all like photos, here's a standard plug/cap, spring, and plunger and the plug/cap, spring, and ball I'm referring to. The ball-and-spring pressure valve I have is out of a reasonably original '46 engine (although I have no way of knowing if this oil pump was ever changed out). The ball is .560" dia, and the spring is .420" dia. And, a PO couldn't have just replaced the plunger with a ball bearing since the standard plunger is .500" dia, the ball won't fit in the bore. Also, the spring is .420" dia and fits in its respective plug/cap, but that spring won't fit in the cap of the plunger-and-spring pump. (The standard spring is .355" dia.) And, this is not some kind of after market pump - it looks identical to a standard pump (hard for me to get pix of it in the Jeep). Any idea what this is about? ...R

Roger in California
'46 CJ2A 38503
'47 CJ2A 142084
'46 T3C Bantam trailer
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2012 at 3:59pm
Don't know what you've got Roger.  Every parts manual from MB through CJ-2A list & show only plunger.

Of half a dozen pumps I've had in-hand (both chain & gear),  all had the plunger, spring & cap like your top row.

Sean
NJLMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJLMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2021 at 5:10am
I know this is an old thread, but was wondering if any one knew the answer? I have a 46 (I'm assuming not original but do not know). Supposedly the motor was rebuilt not many miles (but several years ago) but it has always burned a decent amount of oil. It always runs pretty high oil pressure 60 on start up and 45-50 when warm at idle. Running down the road it will be 70 or so (looks like I'm sending out smoke signals lol)Tonight I pulled the pressure relief spring and the retainer bolt has a space for spring to go in it and there was a ball in there as well. I left the spring and ball out and started it for a few seconds- 0 oil pressure so I assumed my guage was okay. With the ball and the spring in, the spring stuck out about 1/4 inch. So, like an idiot I cut the spring thinking I could order a new one if needed. When I ran it with the spring shortened, it idles with about 15psi, but only goes up to 20-25 when I'm running 40 mph. I have a different motor sitting in my garage right now, so I pulled the relief retainer and the spring. The spring has a smaller diameter and is longer? No ball or plunger came out with it? Now I'd like to find a new spring and try and shim it? Anyone have any idea where one could get a new spring this size? Not sure how to even look since the manuals show the smaller spring and plunger with no ball???

Nick   
JeepRoger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2021 at 6:07am
Nick... I don't think your high oil pressure is causing the engine to burn oil. The high oil pressure is a sign that your camshaft bearings, main crankshaft bearings, and connecting rod bearings are good and well fitted. Using a lighter spring to reduce oil pressure may not solve your oil burning problem. Typically, oil consumption comes from worn piston rings, or worn valve guides, or both. If your engine was rebuilt recently, most probably the re-builder would have put in new correctly sized rings. But there is a good probability that he wouldn't have replaced the valve guide because most folks are leery of replacing them. Actually, they are pretty easy to change (I did a video on it - it's on YouTube; search for Replacing valve guides in Jeep engine.) I think you should investigate the condition of your valve guides before reducing oil pressure. Or just replace the oil pump. Walck's has them.  R
Roger in California
'46 CJ2A 38503
'47 CJ2A 142084
'46 T3C Bantam trailer
NJLMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJLMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2021 at 6:21am
Thanks Roger! I will check out the video and give them a go. I wish I had not clipped the spring without thinking to look if a replacement was available! Is there anywhere to get a replacement spring for these larger springs with the ball? I hate to buy the whole pump that has been working like it should for 200 if I can get just the spring? Thanks again for your help!
JeepRoger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2021 at 6:34am
Nick... I don't know of anyone who carries extra springs. Check with a local hardware store to see if they have a spring assortment. You might be able to find something close to your spring size and stiffness. (It's difficult to measure the spring rating without a special tool.) The valve guides that would be suspect would be the ones for the intake valves (where oil can get sucked into the cylinder between the valve and the guide.
R
Roger in California
'46 CJ2A 38503
'47 CJ2A 142084
'46 T3C Bantam trailer
NJLMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJLMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2021 at 6:44am
Thank you! I will see what I can find! Looks like valve guides are next!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2021 at 6:50am
Nick,
  I have a couple of old oil pumps I might be able to rob a spring out of. Could you post a picture of your pump? Is it aluminum or iron? Could you measure the diameter of the spring and the length that it was before you cut it?
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
NJLMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJLMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2021 at 4:39pm
Thanks BW, that would be great! If you have one that will work I'll get the check in the mail! It was just under 1.5 inches long and just under half inch diameter. Looks like iron one. Let me know if you need a better pic.
 Post Reply Post Reply