Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's your idea of a 40's era toolbox?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's your idea of a 40's era toolbox?
    Posted: 29 Apr. 2023 at 11:04pm
I'm looking to make a "center console" for my 2A.  I want it to look like a 1940's era civilian/farmer toolbox.  I'm not sure if it should be wooden or metal though.  These are some vintage tool boxes I've found online, I wish I could do a poll, but I guess I'll just take opinions.  I kind of like the first two best, wooden, with a round dowel for handle, but I'd rather have it have a closeable top for papers (insurance, registration, etc...) but I'm not opposed to having it be open.  It's going to look new, not distressed or patina. I want it to look removable, but it will be mounted between the seats.  Probably about 15” long, 8” wide, and 8” tall.
Let me know what style you like.

Edited by Scratch - 29 Apr. 2023 at 11:22pm
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2023 at 11:13pm
my vote:

these and variations come up on the web under tractor tool boxes. and surprising variation available at none other than walmart. 

Edited by bight - 30 Apr. 2023 at 11:22am
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2023 at 11:16pm
we made these in junior high industrial arts class in the 70's:

Edited by bight - 30 Apr. 2023 at 11:20am
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2023 at 11:15am
I think most of the wood versions were home brews and the ones that weren't were more for wood working tools.  For Jeep use, you should go steel.  For something that fits between the seats, one of those hip roof boxes would likely work well.  I suspect the majority of those were produced by Waterloo, even the Craftsman branded version.  I'm not sure when those were produced but I bought two of the Craftsman version in the 60's.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 4:25am
I am a big fan of the workmanship that goes into constructing many of the wood ones. Many of these are truly works of art!

However, IME, they do not like rattling around in a Jeep. Even when secured, they do not hold up well. That may be due to my driving style. They may be okay for a "parade Jeep" I do not drive that way.

I like both the hip roofed ones as well as the lunch box.

Wrapping rags around your loose tools will help to keep thing quieter, plus they are handy to wipe grease & oil off your hands when the work is done.
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 10:01am
Whichever choice comes out on top, so far I can think of two things.

I'd suspect any box with a lid would have clearance challenges between the seats other than specifically an ammo can that opens front-to-back or vice versa.  That's assuming you're wanting to access the insides while still in between the seats.  You did say "center console," didn't you?

Other than that, it will sit on the edge of the toolbox and possibly lean into the fuel tank.  It could slide forward during braking - possibly hitting the shifter.  If metal, that could accelerate wear which could invite more rust (I personally wouldn't want anything heavy/metallic rubbing against the fuel tank).  Even rough bumps (heaven forbid-a fender bender!) could dislodge it so it could slide or move.  I'd think making it secure would be important.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 3:23pm
I decided to go with a flat top, toolbox.  I wanted to be able to put a cup holder of some sort, maybe a phone holder and possibly a Bluetooth speaker on the top, so I didn't want to go with the "hip" design and just went flat.  I really only wanted it for insurance and registration papers, and other small stuff like that. Again, I want this to look fairly new, as the jeep looks pretty new still, but I wanted it to look like it was just temporarily set in there on the way to fix the fence.  I wanted it to look like a father back in the 40's bought it new, maybe last year, and then he bought this toolbox to keep in there as well. 

My toolbox, is bolted to the Willys toolbox, with a support on the side going down to the original floor just in case I have anything heavy in there.  
I liked someone's idea of a duct tape cup holder so my cup holder is held in place with magnets (in case I don't want it there)  I also have a magnetic phone holder if I want to use it.  Normal latches are too thick on top so I had to make a faux latch on the side instead.  I was going to use a "floppy" tool box handle, but I figured I'd get too annoyed by the rattle while driving so I used a solid one instead.

It opens to the rear with a hidden hinge and doesn't get in the way at all while shifting.  I can not open it in first gear, but I can in 3rd.  I have rubber bumpers on the underside of the top and there's no rattle while driving. The passenger seat folds with plenty of clearance, and it doesn't touch the fuel tank at all.

I wanted it to be a contrasting color since he probably didn't have it painted to match the jeep and I don't think it's a stretch for a toolbox back then to be painted in "safety red", but I also want to add some lettering to the box, I'm just not sure what to put yet.  I have a vinyl cutter so I can easily create anything I want in vinyl, or as a stencil to be painted on.  I think I'm going to use an Ivory or cream color for the lettering, or possibly black...  Here are my ideas so far.

I could simply put the words:
TOOLS
on there...

Or I could go with the "bought it a gas station" theme and use:
Pennzoil
Sunoco
Mobiloil
Shell
Firestone
Esso 
Etc...

I go with the tool company idea and use:
Stanley Tools
Skil Tools
Craftsman Tools

I could go with nostalgia and put:
Route 66
Custom pinstriping (although that might be more of a 50's thing...)
?

Or I could go with the thought that maybe he bought it at the dealership and it says:
Willys Overland Factory Tools
or something like that... 

I can obviously recreate any of the logos for the above.

Any suggestions or opinions?

Edited by Scratch - 12 May 2023 at 3:35pm
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 5:00pm
My idea of a 40's tool box was my dad's of green Kennedy machinists box that he bought and used when he started work at Stearman Airplane Co. in Wichita, Kansas in 1939. He transferred to the Boeing plant where they produced B-17 bombers in 1941 and stayed there as a sheet metalsmith until 1943 when he joined the Army Air Force.

I remember as a kid in the 50's using tools out of his green Kennedy tool box. Sometimes the tools got put back and other times he found them out in the yard where us boys would have used them on various projects. He was a long suffering man because there were three of us boys and only one of him. He wanted to encourage us to use the tools so we could learn about things mechanical, but his temper got short at times when we didn't put the tools away.

Today, I understand his frustrations...

I have either been a mechanic or a machinist for most of my life and I always took good care of my tools and put them away clean when I was done with them. I can understand now his frustration with me and my two brothers when we weren't so careful. My brothers and I became more responsible as we bought our own tools for use at our own jobs. My one brother was a mechanic, welder and bodyman, the kid brother was a carpenter. We all used tools on a daily basis.

My father was a patient man and by the time we had all grown up and left home for the military service that we all served in, most of his tools were either gone or had been misused. He kept the old Kennedy tool box for years after we were gone from home and refilled it with tools that he used in things like home maintenance and light car repairs. He died far too young and my mother got rid of the Kennedy in a sale after he left this earth.

I wish I had his old Kennedy tool box. Some of my most precision machinist tooling would have fit there perfectly. The old man would have been proud...

Today he would have been 102...he died when he was 62. I sure do miss him.
When I bought "Ol Red" in 1969 he was the one who helped me overhaul the transmission that jumped out of second gear. When we got her back together he went with me for a ride...you should have seen the look on his face...smiling from ear to ear...sure do miss the old man.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 12 May 2023 at 5:02pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 7:16pm
I had one of these wish I never sold it. Two part lid, sometimes a til(tray) inside. Usually robust. Def early mid century. Clearance opening lid not an issue.

1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 7:23pm
  That’s the same box I had when I first signed on as an apprentice line mechanic at the Chevrolet garage. Pop’s box and Pop’s tools. I had to bring them home every night. I think I’ve got the box here someplace. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 8:48pm
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 11:47am
Did you know...

Back in the mid 40's, Willys-Overland ran a short lived promotion to help encourage sales of the CJ2A marketed to their new civilian market.  They built and delivered specially labeled "safety red" toolboxes with ivory colored lettering, to be given away by the dealers to new buyers.  Most of these toolboxes didn't survive long as buyers brought them home and would use them for all kinds of uses on the farm or in the garage, and they often got misplaced or damaged and rusted beyond repair, then eventually tossed in the trash.  I happened to find one of these rare toolboxes and restored it to it's original condition.

Unless you can PROVE it didn't actually happen, that's the story I'm going with.

It must be true because I read it on the internet.

.....and now you did too.

Edited by Scratch - 16 May 2023 at 11:49am
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
bikernks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikernks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 1:17pm
I like the look of the metal tractor toolboxes (last pic in the original post).  I think I'm going to add those to mine over the wheel wells once I get it complete.

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by Scratch Scratch wrote:

Well, duh!  Wink
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 3:24pm

Unless you can PROVE it didn't actually happen, that's the story I'm going with.

And as evidenced by this Luzon Red example I picked up today after the promotion they were so popular they became a body colored option.

Scratch, was most of the writing worn off your before you restored it?

Edited by rocnroll - 31 May 2023 at 3:34pm
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 3:30pm
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

And as evidenced by this Luzon Red example I picked up today after the promotion they were so popular they became a body colored option.

Scratch, was most of the writing worn off your before you restored it?

Uh yeah…. Most of it was worn off… I could barely make out what it said.  Sorry,, I forgot to get a picture of it.
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 4:44pm
Don't worry, not gonna restore this one. This one is a little smaller than yours, 5" x 10". Wish it was about an inch thinner.

The catch is what sold me on it.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Post Reply Post Reply