Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's your work space?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMyers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's your work space?
    Posted: 11 Mar. 2018 at 3:32pm
I didn't want to stray from the conversation here What did you do on your jeep today - March 2018
so here is the hidden objects picture game and maybe see where others build their jeeps.

To continue... See if you can find the paper hornets nest (hint: pic edge cuts the nest in half but you can see the entry hole), the echo weed whacker, the roll of gorilla duct tape, and the 1975 CB750F engine (hint: head covered in tape to protect it) 

And here's a few more pics....

Here's another angle

If its going to snow let it be like this 

Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

When I have time, need to come back for the search.

It might look to some people as chaos,  but what I liked about it was 3 things.
 1) seemed to have a "theme" -> bringing a flat fender back to life Smile
 2) the "lighting" is so cool
 3) I love the wood flooring  LOL

You get it! I built the "barn" about ten years ago. There is an Amish community about an hour away so I used their dimensional lumber and copied design and construction methods from their barns. I wanted it to look like it was 100 years old. It has a red steel roof too. The wood floor is over-engineered just in case a jeep ever took up residence. 

Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

Love the wood arrows and traditional bows.  I see the compounds, but I’m a traditional archer and make my own arrows and self bows.  Love to see others enjoy real archery😁

Those were the boys' (4 sons) kid bows. The good ones are in the house. Traditional archery was how i started bow hunting when my grandfather gave me his 1952 Bear Kodiak. It takes a lot of practice and patience to hit cleanly, and I've been successful but Ive cleanly missed some absolute monsters too. Thats why the compounds are there! 

OK lets see where you work now!

CJ2A 18450

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/46-cj2a-18450_topic41246_page1.html

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2018 at 9:44pm
Sorry, slightly off-topic again...

Originally posted by EMyers EMyers wrote:

If its going to snow let it be like this 

That's what I was hoping winters around here would look like when I moved here in '91.  I've been disappointed pretty much every year.

My work space doesn't have enough space.

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 11 Mar. 2018 at 9:47pm
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2018 at 11:27pm
That's a beautiful shop--and no sign of lawnmowers, garden tools or kid's bikes! And is that a 1950s Delta/Milwaukee DP220 drill press on your bench?

Thanks for sharing--you have a cool workspace!
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2018 at 12:48am
Originally posted by EMyers EMyers wrote:

See if you can find the paper hornets nest 

I'd say the hornet nest is in the very upper right corner of the photo.
Gristle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gristle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2018 at 1:07am
Upper left,next to antlers?
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2018 at 10:46am
You had me fooled on the age. The setting is vintage and using the trees for your lights is cool. Nice man cave. How do you heat it? I see light through the door slats. Got to be cold in there. 
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
EMyers View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMyers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2018 at 1:12pm
Gristle found the hornets nest. Upper left of the drill press next to a deer antler. I believe the other items have been found.
Thanks for playing! 

Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

That's a beautiful shop--and no sign of lawnmowers, garden tools or kid's bikes! And is that a 1950s Delta/Milwaukee DP220 drill press on your bench?

Thanks for sharing--you have a cool workspace!

Thanks! Bikes are in the house garage. Drill press is a Buffalo Forge and probably older than 1950's. Spindle isn't perfectly true but good enough for my purposes. 

Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

You had me fooled on the age. The setting is vintage and using the trees for your lights is cool. Nice man cave. How do you heat it? I see light through the door slats. Got to be cold in there. 

It is a bit drafty. I use an 80000 btu kerosene fired torpedo heater and gets it warm quick. Looses it just as fast too. When snow is on the steel roof it, the heat rises and creates an avalanche that makes a thud that shakes the building. 

CJ2A 18450

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2018 at 1:47pm
Cool garage indeed, lots of great eye candy.

I have a good bit of vintage equipment in my garage and basement workshop.  Here are a couple examples.  A Champion Blower and Forge 2 speed drill press and a Kellogg air compressor.  Both are over 100 years old.

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2018 at 2:26pm
What, no Harbor Freight tools from China Inc.? You mean all the old American-made equipment continues to serve their original purpose and perform admirably? Shocking!

Seriously, not surprising at all...the world needs more built-for-life, rebuildable/repairable shop equipment. I love your drill press and compressor, thanks for sharing.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
EMyers View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMyers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2018 at 2:35pm
That compressor is amazingly original. I like the candlestick phone too. When I still had a landline, i have a western electric 1930-ish cradle style that was hooked to a remote ringer box. When it rang it shook the windows. my wife still laughs about how loud it was 
CJ2A 18450

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2018 at 3:17pm
EMyers,

What are the detentions of your building?  Looks great.

Stev
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
EMyers View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMyers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2018 at 3:33pm
16x24 I would have built bigger but did t want to chop trees down. 
CJ2A 18450

Post Reply Post Reply