Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wheel Hub, what do I have

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wheel Hub, what do I have
    Posted: 05 Nov. 2022 at 6:51pm
Trying to do the conversion to disk brakes but this does not look like any of the pictures or videos I have seen. The white piece is plastic. When I try to remove the nut it just spins. Any idea how to get off without damaging the threads?

General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2022 at 6:57pm
It looks very similar to what I had in mine. 
If I recall right I thought that assembly just slid off. If I'm wrong I knows it's probably super simple and it's slipping my mind right now 
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
Alpine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2022 at 7:05pm
Maybe its just stuck. I will try pulling a little harder. 
calndrman View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calndrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2022 at 9:45pm
I have the same hubs on my Jeep. There is a snap ring that needs to be removed before the hub will come off. Clean all the grease off and you will see it. It is in a resessed channel of the hub. It may be located behind the large washer in your pic It may or may not have a snap ring circle (I have one of each) that uses a snap ring pliers for removal. If there is no circle, use a small screwdriver to pry the open end of the ring out of its channel with another screwdriver to pry it out the rest of the way. 

Edited by calndrman - 05 Nov. 2022 at 9:47pm
Bruce
1949 2A
Alpine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2022 at 3:08pm
Here is another picture. Please excuse my lack of knowing the terminology, but the black nut with the teeth will not budge.  It almost looks like the wrong size and that it was hammered on if you look at the interior teeth. Any ideas on how to get off? Also, what is the white plastic piece behind it. The ring on the outer edge is broken. 

Edited by Alpine - 06 Nov. 2022 at 4:08pm
Beach Bum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beach Bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2022 at 4:04pm
I think you are right, it does look like it’s the wrong size and it was hammered on just as you say. I’ts not a nut exactly, it’s an adapter that is a part of the hub. Others may have a better idea but I don’t think you are going to be able to slide that off even if you heat it red hot. I think that maybe you could get it off with the type of puller you use to get the rear drums off? Another possibility would be to cut it by drilling a bunch of holes in a row between the splines (teeth) it’s undoubtedly hardened steel you you would need cobalt drill bits or possibly even tungsten bits (you are going to need several). Using a puller as I described could possibly damage something but I don’t think it would damage anything that you are going to re use anyway.
Alpine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2022 at 4:15pm
By part of the hub, do you mean the locking hub? That would make sense if it was the wrong one for a CJ2A and was hammered on. Will the axle shaft likely get damaged when I do this?
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2022 at 4:53pm
I would try the hub puller plus heat.
Remember, put tension on the puller then strike the center bolt with a BFH and repeat while keeping the offending part hot.
BOULDER 48 2A
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2022 at 5:41pm
Seems like someone with the same kind of hubs has already replied, but I see no response to what
Bruce said. The "black nut" isn't a nut at all.

"I have the same hubs on my Jeep. There is a snap ring that needs to be removed before the hub will come off. Clean all the grease off and you will see it. It is in a recessed channel of the hub."

If there is indeed a snap ring a puller isn't going to do any good.

Edited by Oldpappy - 06 Nov. 2022 at 5:43pm
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Alpine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2022 at 6:24pm
I dont see anywhere that a snap ring can be. I am not able to pull the black part with the teeth or the white plastic part off. I need those off before I can event attempt to get the hub off. 
Beach Bum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beach Bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2022 at 6:44pm
Take a close look, it really does look like that spline adapter was hammered on there. Either way however, that snap ring will have to come off. Yes Alpine I mean a part of the locking hub. If heat is used its going to melt that nylon and be a stinky, smoky, toxic mess but you may have to resort to that. I recently surrendered on a battle of my own trying to get some things apart that was a previous owner hammered together. I had to cut it apart and throw the pieces away. Hammering slip fit steel pieces together generates a massive amount of energy that a puller generally cannot overcome (BTW a BFH is a Big F***ing Hammer). I’m no trying to talk down to you I just don’t know what your experience level is. It’s possible that a puller would shred the nylon piece and pull the hub right over it that would be a win because you aren’t using it anyway. I’m not certain of this but someone else on here may set me straight, I am thinking that if you can get the bolts out that hold the knuckle together you could pull the whole hub, axle, U joint apart. New thought, you could probably cut that piece off of there easier with a cut off wheel on an angle grinder instead of drilling it. It looks like the Bubba that hammered that piece on also cut the end of the axle off those grooves on the end of the axle are what’s left of what should be holes going through the axle that are for the cotter pins that hold the nut on. I’m betting that Bubba needed that extra 1/2” to get those incorrect locking hubs on there.
Alpine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2022 at 6:59pm
I dont feel you are talking down to me at all. I am comfortable fixing just about anything on a car when I understand what is going on. This is obviously not a normal (we maybe for these jeeps) so I am still trying to figure out what to do. I guess either way I am looking at new locking hubs and possible axle shafts?

Fortunately (or unfortunately) I have never had to cut anything off of a car so I am a little uncomfortable and need a plan for the easiest way to proceed. 

Maybe I could break the plastic piece to get to the snap ring?

Edited by Alpine - 06 Nov. 2022 at 7:07pm
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2022 at 9:18pm
If there are no plans to reuse that locking hub, just take a 4 1/2 grinder to it and grind it down just short of the axle splines on two sides.  At that point I think a clam shell type puller would remove it.  The jury is obviously still out on how bad the axle shaft splines are screwed up.

Maybe omix existed before any of us knew.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
Beach Bum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beach Bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2022 at 11:54pm
How about the fact that there is no longer holes for the cotter pins to go into? Is there enough room to drill new ones?
calndrman View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calndrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2022 at 11:58am
The similarity I see between what you have and what is on my Jeep is the white/gray plastic cover. They are exactly the same. I do not know who made this unit. Since I have had mine apart different times over the 33 years I have owned my Jeep, that cover was very familiar to me. 

My axle does not have the cross cut groves (that look on your pic like a big + on the end of the axle) so there are differences there. Many things are changed on these Jeeps over the years. I know there are three different brands of joints inside the front axles. My Jeep as one brand on one side and a different brand on the other. I doubt if it came out of the factory that way, but it has worked for me all these years.

I would need to take off my wheel and hub off to get a pic of the snap ring I referred to a few days ago. I would be willing to do that if you feel it would help. 

Let me know.
Bruce
1949 2A
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2022 at 12:11pm
There is no snap ring visible in the photos. That piece looks as it was forced on, and must be forced off. Pulling the hub ought to also force it off.
Good luck, and as there will be a lot of force applied, put the nut back on a few turns so the hub assembly doesn't fly off damaging you.
BOULDER 48 2A
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2022 at 12:42pm
That is an early axle which used a nut on the threaded end to set preload for the axle bushing. 

The "big +" is what remains of the holes that would have been for a cotter pin.

Bubba has sawed off the ends of the axles to make those hubs fit, something I have often seen and has also been suggested by suppliers selling hubs that won't fit without doing it. 

It was never a good idea, and depending on which axle joint is used can result in a failure of the joint. I would consider an axle like that as ruined, and would replace the axle shaft with a more modern version using the Spicer joint replacing the bushing in the spindle to match.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2022 at 1:07pm
Take pics of it when you begin pulling and when it comes off.  That axle is probably a rezzpa axle, a bendix axle is the replacement but you shouldn't need that. I have a spare short side if ya need it.

Will the black nut turn partially (both ways) while keeping the wheel hub from turning. then see if it will slide off, similiar to a lock hub lock ring? 

I see what's left of the locking hub on the ground post a pic of the front side to help identify it so google can help us find a breakdown of it

Edited by jeeper50 - 07 Nov. 2022 at 1:21pm

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>