Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wheel spacers under 1"?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wheel spacers under 1"?
    Posted: 03 July 2022 at 3:50pm
If I choose to add wheel spacers to account for the rubbing from my new tires (I do not want to just crank out the stops) I do not want to add a lot. I find 1" spacers and up. Are under 1" uncommon/unobtainium until 1/4"?
I think 1/2" -3/4" will get it done. 

I am guessing stacking 2 or 3 1/4" spacers is not a good idea or is it ok for what I want to do?
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2022 at 8:39pm
Reading your post twice I guess I'm confused.
Are you talking about a spacer or spacers over each individual lug stud, or a spacer ring that goes over all 5 supporting the rim?

Edited by Ron D - 03 July 2022 at 8:43pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 9:25am
I bought some 3/4" spacers for my CJ5 about a year ago, so they do exist, but I am not sure which supplier I bought them from.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 9:45am
A spacer ring. I was not aware anyone would try to shim each stud individually. Seems dangerous anything over 1/4".
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 10:17am
 I missed where anyone suggested shimming each stud individually, that is dangerous.

Would anyone try it? I found stacks of big washers behind the front wheels of the CJ2A I brought home a year and a half ago. Bubba had converted to disc brakes and used the washers to space the wheels out. He also made spring shackles out of stove bolts, water pipe, and rough bar stock, and had used a 15/16" Pitman arm on a 7/8" sector shaft with a big stack of washers to hold it better. So, evidently dangerous doesn't worry some folks.

windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 10:42am
oh man...that bubba..

'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 12:11pm
The reason everyone runs 1" spacers is because they come with a new set of lugs built-in. Trying to run anything over 1/4" on stock lugs is dangerous since the lug isn't long enough. If you want to use 1/2 to 3/4 you'll need to knock out the lugs and find longer ones.

If you're running stock Willys wheels with bigger tires, the 1" spacer fills the wheel wells very nicely.
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 1:00pm
Ahhh, good to know regarding stud length. I had not considered that, as obvious as it is. Thanks.
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 8:01am
A person could make them if the thickness desired cannot be found. I needed new wheels anyway so my solution was to order wheels with the backspacing and offset I wanted. No stud length issues that way. 

Edited by Jeff J - 05 July 2022 at 8:02am
Jw60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jw60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2022 at 7:14pm
1" is typically the minimum for a wheel adapter to have the nut and enough thickness for strength within the profile. You could call a manufacturer and see if the nut clearance can be reduced for our K/H steel wheels with a pocket. Otherwise you have a large spacer (no seperate studs) that isn't firmly one with the hub and the studs take a lot of extra strain which puts the manufacturer in a bad position when they are used on the 5x5.5 lug full size trucks.

Also a good idea to use a thread locker on the concealed lug nuts.

Edited by Jw60 - 07 July 2022 at 7:15pm
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2022 at 8:08pm
I only thought I had 3/4" on that CJ5. I pulled a wheel off today and they are 1". 
 Post Reply Post Reply