Forum Home Forum Home > The CJ2A Parts Project > Parts List > Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wheel types

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wheel types
    Posted: 13 Dec. 2006 at 7:56pm
There is only one part # that I can  find for the 4.5" x 16" standard wheel in the '49 parts list.  PART No. 640800
  There are three different wheels I know of by two different manufactures. Kelsey Hayes, and Motor Wheel.

In the '45 parts list, it lists only one also. This one is 4" x 16" 
RIM and DISC 16 x 4.00, assembly    Part No. 640800

These are the same parts #'s but obviously different wheels. From my understanding, the 4.00" wheels from the '45 parts list are left over from the early Slate-Grill MB's. The military changed over to a more GI friendly two piece split rim that can be changed in the field without any additional equipment. These 4.00" wheels were probably left over from these early military Jeeps.

I don't have a sample of the solid 4.00" wheel, but I do have a sample of the solid 4.5" wheel. Why they changed to the slotted is something that I'm interested in finding out.

Here is a pic of the Kelsey-Hayes 4.5" solid wheel that was used on the early 2a's

This one is the Kelsey-Hayes 4.5" slotted rim. This is the one we are most familar with.

This is the 4.5" motor wheel. Notice the dimple where the lug nut grips the wheel. it's raised and not flat like the Kelsey-Hayes wheel.

These aren't the best pics but enough to open the post. There is a stamp on the inside of the wheel that has the Kelsey-Hayes logo along with a date...Anyone have a good pic of that?

CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

Oakes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2006 at 7:34am
Originally posted by GaryArf GaryArf wrote:

There is only one part # that I can  find for the 4.5" x 16" standard wheel in the '49 parts list.  PART No. 640800
  There are three different wheels I know of by two different manufactures. Kelsey Hayes, and Motor Wheel.

In the '45 parts list, it lists only one also. This one is 4" x 16" 
RIM and DISC 16 x 4.00, assembly    Part No. 640800

These are the same parts #'s but obviously different wheels. From my understanding, the 4.00" wheels from the '45 parts list are left over from the early Slate-Grill MB's. The military changed over to a more GI friendly two piece split rim that can be changed in the field without any additional equipment. These 4.00" wheels were probably left over from these early military Jeeps.

I don't have a sample of the solid 4.00" wheel, but I do have a sample of the solid 4.5" wheel. Why they changed to the slotted is something that I'm interested in finding out.

Actually that is not entirely correct. There were two military solid disc rims. One was the 4" which was also used on the CJ2's and a 4.5" military solid that the slat grill parts manual reads was used on the first 5 slat grills and where necessary and to be used w/ 6.5x16" tires. These 4.5" solids differ from the column shift solids in that the area where the inner tube sits has a 90 degree shoulder on both sides but a 4.5" civilian solid has a 90 on one side and a sloping 45 on the other. After the war the extra combats, not needed for jeeps, went on the civilian Bantam trailers and then both the Bantam trailers and the very earliest column shift jeeps used up the 4.5" military solid disc rim. Then the civi 4.5" solid was used along w/ the Motor Wheel rims then the standard 4.5" slotted Kelsey was used. So there are 4 civi rims as used on the CJ2A's, actually 5 because there was a 15" rim also but 4 were 16" 

Edited by Oakes - 14 Dec. 2006 at 7:37am
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES, THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS
Howard View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2006 at 10:01am
Here is a stamping from the inside edge of the wheels from 23353.
Howard

Edited by Howard - 22 Mar. 2009 at 5:02pm
Howard F Jewett

1946 CJ2A #23353

43 GPW 106505 USA #20366014

43 Bantam Trailer T3 #14844

52 M100 K1119
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2007 at 8:35pm
I have 15" on my 48 CJ2A...anyone else have 15"?

Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
stick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2007 at 7:56pm
I have 15" wheels on my 2A as well.  Anyone have any info on 15" wheels?
The Jeep Family:
2003 KJ - wife's daily driver
1997 XJ - my daily driver
1995 YJ - the trail rig - - -> FOR SALE
1966 M416 - the jeep trailer
1946(ish) CJ2A - my new project - - ->FOR SALE
Jonesy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2007 at 8:14pm
My Dad's 48 CJ2A had 15's as original equipment. The 15 inchers are listed in one of the parts catalogs as an option, I can't remember which one at the moment. My theory, based upon some advertising from the day, is that the wider 7.00x15 tires offered more flotation in soft ground. The 48 also was equipped with the PTO and front bumper weight, which proves nothing but each of these options makes some sense for ag operations.

Jonesy

1951 CJ3A

1948 Willys Pickup

1954 Willys Pickup

1947 Bantam BT3-C Trailer
Jake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2007 at 12:34am

The green 48 I just got has 15" rims,(2 differerant types) I am glad this thread came up as I am confused as well about the 15", I was starting to assume they were not original.

Jake
trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2007 at 1:24am
Jake your first photo shows what looks like an original 15" CJ2A rim the second photo shows late CJ5 style 15" rims.
Brachus12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brachus12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2008 at 12:47pm
I have three of the 5 16" rims for my Jeep. Finally took a pic of the stamp on the inside of the tire-free rim.

I assume this means it was made in 53?

Brachus

Edited by Brachus12 - 02 June 2008 at 12:48pm
47 CJ2A #101361 "Bugger"
42 GPW 75248
SPEN Trailer
62 M170 13758

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/brachus/Willys
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2009 at 6:28pm
Sure looks like it was made 2/53.. 
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 3:58pm
Can anyone confirm if Kelsey Hayes ever made a wheel that looked like the motor rim wheel with the dimpled lug nut area? We were having a lot of discussion about this at the reunion. I have always assumed that the raised area centers like Gary's first pic were KH, and the dimpled centers like his fourth pic are Motor wheel.. Am I wrong?

EDIT....KH has the raised flat center.....MW has the raised dimples around each lug.

Edited by F Bill - 01 Dec. 2011 at 1:30am

Frenchy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2009 at 8:05pm
This is a silly question but can someone show me where a rim is measured from to determine the 4.5" width and 15" or 16" diameter?

Thanks!
David "Frenchy" French

CJ2A "Speeder" #92440

CJ2A "Tabor" #120378
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2009 at 8:46pm
Width is between the vertical sides where the bead sits, and diameter is the overall diameter measured where the bead of the tire sits.
l                                       l
l------------width------------l
                    l

l
                    l
                    l
                    l

l
                    l
                    l
                    l

l
l-------------------------------l
l                                       l

That's a crude drawing of a wheel crosssection, the diameter is the vertical distance from dotted line to dotted line. On tha actual wheel it would be an outside dimension  but not the OVERALL outside dimension of the rim, as that would include the bead retaining flanges which measure about 1.5 inches larger than the rim size.

Edited by F Bill - 08 June 2009 at 8:49pm

Frenchy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2009 at 8:54am
F Bill,

I messed around with photoshop tonight to see if I am interpreting what you said correctly.

In terms of diameter, it would roughly be the distance between the black arrows in the photo below as opposed to the red ones.

Likewise in terms of width, it would be the distance between the red arrows in the photo below and the black ones.

Let me know if this is correct and thanks for the help.

David "Frenchy" French

CJ2A "Speeder" #92440

CJ2A "Tabor" #120378
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2009 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by Frenchy Frenchy wrote:

F Bill,

I messed around with photoshop tonight to see if I am interpreting what you said correctly.

In terms of diameter, it would roughly be the distance between the black arrows in the photo below as opposed to the red ones.

You got it... the distance between the red ones will masure approximately an inch or more larger than the actual diameter and tire size.

Likewise in terms of width, it would be the distance between the red arrows in the photo below and NOT the black ones.

I added a "NOT" to your quote to make it clearer. Again, you have it right.

Let me know if this is correct and thanks for the help.

Now can anyone tell me if that is a Kelsey Hayes or a Motor Wheel he has pictured??

Jerry45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2009 at 3:49pm
I think it's a Kelsey-Hayes since the Motor Wheels have a raised area around each lug nut hole.
Jerry
1945 CJ-2A #11802
1950? Szekley Navy APU Jeep
Bantum BTC-3 Trailer

"They can have my Jeep when they pry it from my cold, dead hands."
Frenchy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2009 at 8:57pm
F Bill,

Thanks for your help. I agree with Jerry in that the rim I have shown in a K-H. I also have a rim that I believe to a Motor Wheel that I asked about in a previous post that you can see here:

Mystery Rim

Thanks
David "Frenchy" French

CJ2A "Speeder" #92440

CJ2A "Tabor" #120378
Rob H. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2009 at 11:09pm

Here is what the 4.00 x 16 solids look like.

Rob H.

1948 CJ2A
bits and pieces of three 3A's
1967-72 Chevy C/10 kinda combined them LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>