Forum Home Forum Home > The CJ2A Parts Project > Parts List > Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wheel types

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2009 at 11:29pm
Shocked you could sell those and fix your 48's engine and buy it some new shoes!
Maker of the Reedkini
Frenchy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2009 at 4:13pm
Group,

Please look at the rim I have shown below. In the first picture it looks like an ordinary K-H rim.

Flipping it over though and looking at it from the inside I noticed it doesn't have the three rivets (like all other K-H rims I have seen) holding it together but rather two welds as shown below.

This makes me believe it is a reproduction and I was wondering if my hunch is correct?

Thanks,

David "Frenchy" French

CJ2A "Speeder" #92440

CJ2A "Tabor" #120378
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2009 at 4:18pm
I have a hunch it is simply a later manufactured rim, don't know anything about the repros.. No sign of any maker's stamps inside the rim?  Late wheels reproed recently should have a DOT number on them.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

normandy blue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote normandy blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2011 at 4:34pm
Thank you for Bringing this up.  I too was concerned my 15s were not stock.  Does anyone know a supplier/link for a replacement 7.00x15 Rim/Wheel?  I am short a spare.
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2011 at 10:26pm
There were two military solid disc rims. One was the 4" which was also used on the CJ2's and a 4.5" military solid that the slat grill parts manual reads was used on the first 5 slat grills and where necessary and to be used w/ 6.5x16" tires. These 4.5" solids differ from the column shift solids in that the area where the inner tube sits has a 90 degree shoulder on both sides but a 4.5" civilian solid has a 90 on one side and a sloping 45 on the other.
------------------------------------------------
I have a 16 inch motor rim with 90 degree shoulders on both sides.  But it is slotted.   Any idea on this rim.  Mine also is welded, not riveted

Edited by willys54wagon - 23 Aug. 2011 at 2:19am
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2011 at 2:02am
Originally posted by willys54wagon willys54wagon wrote:

......These 4.5" solids differ from the column shift solids in that the area where the inner tube sits has a 90 degree shoulder on both sides but a 4.5" civilian solid has a 90 on one side and a sloping 45 on the other.....
Not so sure I agree with that:

This is a 4.5 wide 90/90  autumn yellow with green pinstripe

Here is another civi 90/90:

Sunset Red w/ black stripe 4.5" wide:

16X4.5 solid wheels

CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2011 at 2:41am
Originally posted by willys54wagon willys54wagon wrote:

There were two military solid disc rims. One was the 4" which was also used on the CJ2's and a 4.5" military solid that the slat grill parts manual reads was used on the first 5 slat grills and where necessary and to be used w/ 6.5x16" tires. These 4.5" solids differ from the column shift solids in that the area where the inner tube sits has a 90 degree shoulder on both sides but a 4.5" civilian solid has a 90 on one side and a sloping 45 on the other.

This has been supposed gospel, ever since Ren posted a page with pics from Bill Oakes and others. Lately a bunch of 90/90 civillian rims have been showing up.. I think it is another case of never say never with Willys...

dschroff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dschroff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2011 at 12:52am
I just realized my Jeep has one odd wheel.  I bought my 2A in non-running condition, trailered it home, and immediately started tearing it down.  I noticed that it sits kinda funny, but thought it just had one odd sized tire.  I measured the wheels, and I found one seems to be an inch smaller in diameter than the others.  So I thnik I have three 16 inch wheels, and one 15 inch.  I have read some of the posts about wheels, but I'm not really sure what kind of wheels I have.  Long story short, I guess I will be looking for a 16 inch wheel.  Any advice?
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2011 at 1:33am
Post some pics of the lug nut area and overall shots of the wheels you have...in the tech section as a new post, or in the wanted section.....lots of us have spare rims.

Oakes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2012 at 3:00am
Not all solid disc rims used on the civi jeeps were 90 and sloping. Mine were 90/90 but they were leftover military rims.
Jeff once told me he saw pictures of early civilian jeeps at a dealership w/ a solid and a slotted rim on the same jeep!!!
Bet these guys are laughing at us. No one threw things out back then.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES, THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS
lurch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lurch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2012 at 4:53pm

My dad's low-mile original tan #17xxx has 90/90 K-H's on it.  Haven't been able to measure the width yet because there are tires on the rims.

My 11054 has its original MW's on it

And my original '46 18xxx has 90/45 4.5's on it.

Dad's 42 GPW 89xxx - converted to a fire jeep has 90/90 x 4" KW's on it.
old iron
CmK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CmK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2013 at 8:59pm

Tag inside Kelsey Hayes 16 x 4.5, presume it's original...
CJ-2A 43883 [SOLD]
CJ-2A 104976 [SOLD]
valingt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valingt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2014 at 8:32am
what is the size of the center hole? and how tall was the stock rubber? 
Big Ben

67 plymouth baracuda
97 triumph t-bird 900
47 willyz jeep
08 gsxr 1000
Oakes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2014 at 9:26pm
6.0 x 16 for tires if I remember correctly.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES, THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2014 at 9:58pm
Center bore was 4.250 and bolt circle was 5 bolts on 5.5" bolt circle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12