Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

When did 2a which to gear driven cam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beninky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When did 2a which to gear driven cam
    Posted: 07 Dec. 2019 at 5:21pm
  I have 46 CJ2a ser#71214 and it has a gear driven cam engine.  I can’t discern any stamping marks behind the water pump so I’m at a loss on the engine number.
  Were any gear drive engine numbers stamped on the side boss (behind the oil filter)?
  Also I would like to know the ser# range when the 2a switched from chain to gear drive cam engines.

I’m searching for clues about whether the engine might be original (I can wish, right?)
  BTW, the tub and frame numbers do happen to match.

Thanks, Ben.
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2019 at 6:07pm
According to the CJ-2A history page, the change came at #44417
Mike in AZ
Beninky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beninky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2019 at 6:22pm
Thanks Michaeltru, I looked thru all the headings in this forum but I didn’t find the ONE.
Regards, Ben.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2019 at 7:02pm
Chances are if their is no serial number stamped on the boss behind the water pump the engine has had the Block decked and the numbers have been shaved off. Take an eye dropper with some white vinegar and spread a couple drops around on the cleaned off Boss. Watch it for a few hours the numbers may show themselves. They will be faint if they do show. 
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2019 at 7:11pm
Here’s a link to the page I referred.  I hope. 

Mike in AZ
Beninky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beninky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2019 at 5:54pm
Thanks Mark.  I queried the block casting number (804380) and discovered that the engine can’t possibly be original to the 46 CJ2a.  I surmise that the owner at the time of replacement removed the ser# to avoid DMV registration issues.
Regards, Ben.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2019 at 9:14am
I doubt if the serial number was removed for registration issues. Very few folks even think about future registration and it is way too much work to do it well.

Unless you see grind marks, it was most likely done in a machine shop. IME, Very few machine shops think about re-stamping serial numbers in their freshly surfaced block. One reason is that very few engine or vehicle manufacturers stamped their serial numbers on any machined surfaces that were not made just for the stamping of said serial number. Willys was fairly unique in doing so.

Thus, I vote for Mark W's response.
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2019 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

Chances are if their is no serial number stamped on the boss behind the water pump the engine has had the Block decked and the numbers have been shaved off. Take an eye dropper with some white vinegar and spread a couple drops around on the cleaned off Boss. Watch it for a few hours the numbers may show themselves. They will be faint if they do show. 

This happened during my engine rebuild.  Thankfully, I had added my jeep and engine serial numbers to the "Surviving CJ-3B List" and re-stamped the block.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
 Post Reply Post Reply