Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Where's the build thread"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2016 at 2:39am

Bruce, you confirmed what I was thinking, more work but a needed step.

43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
48-52 CJ Series Bubba Jeep
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2016 at 12:24pm
If you plan on following Jeff, you're going to need rubber mounts!!!!!!!! LOL
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2016 at 3:38pm
Follow Jeff!! LOL he will be looking at my tailgate Wink In all seriousness tho yes rubber mounts it shall be
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2016 at 3:48pm
I see future Challange Races between Scratch and BamBam 😜😜😜😜😜
Glen
49 CJ3A
Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2016 at 2:25am
Things checked off the list this weekend:
New engine mount brackets fitted, rubber based mounts installed.
Power steering lines made and test fitted.
Exhaust manifold modified and plate welded into place. (removed the EGR tube to the manifold boss)
Started fabricating Y pipe, O2 sensor locations for primary exhaust. Removed original master cylinder mounting plate from the frame for exhaust clearance.

Next big step is to separate the engine and trans and build the slave cylinder mounts. Using an internal slave...or attempting to. And fabricate the radiator mounts and confirm clearance. Once this is completed the final welding of all the mocked up parts on the frame will be done, then cleaned and painted.

I think I`ll use a 1 inch lift on the body just for some extra clearance around the engine, and one inch isn't to noticeable. I`ll get some pictures posted this week for all to see.
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2016 at 10:17am
Looking forward to the pics! What tires and wheels are you using again?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2016 at 12:46pm
I may try to go as big as 33x10.5x15 but 31`s at the smallest
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2016 at 1:30am

Brief update,

Internal slave cylinder mount fabricated and cylinder installed (this was not as easy as I had hoped for).

I decided to "Lock" the rear spiders, Pulled the diff apart cleaned all the internals of lube and proceeded to weld them up.  I was never able to find a 10 spline spool or mini spool so this was the next best thing. I`m happy with the out come, I didn't weld the gears to the case so if I break anything (good chance of this) I can disassemble and repair it.

Still thinking about a locker for the front, so much to do and so little time
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2016 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Dmac Dmac wrote:

.....Still thinking about a locker for the front, so much to do and so little time
lock it up. It's only money
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2016 at 8:17pm
Here is the slave cylinder installed:
Motor mount:
Brakes, and before anyone says the shoes are on wrong I did a lot of research on thei old Huck system and it states "Longer shoe in the front location".....still looks wrong to me
Wink
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
plowpusher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plowpusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2016 at 11:39pm
Longer shoe on front only if you are using stock NON-self energizing brakes i.e. two anchors one on top and one on the bottom.If the brakes you have are self energizing without a bottom anchor the front shoe comes out and pushes the rear shoe into the drum thus the rear shoe does most of the work and should be the long one.  
when i grow up i wanna be a kid
Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2016 at 3:57pm
Exactly, Huck brake system, lower solid anchor.
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2016 at 6:19am
Dennis,
I contemplated the same sort of issues when I was deciding to lock up my D41. I didn't really like the idea of a slipping or part-time mechanical locking device in the rear (e.g. lockright or other "lunchbox" lockers). I've heard some good things about them, but I didn't want to put one in the rear, although I will put one in the front in the future. What I found was a lot of options for the D44. I did a lot of research and decided to go with a mini-spool for the D44 and get the full floating 31 spline D44 axles. The mini-spool was $79 from JEGS and the lockright locker was pushing $500.

I knew I would have to drill out the carrier for the larger D44 axles, but that wasn't a big deal. The issue I ran into was that the journals on the D44 spiders (and thus the mini-spool also) are just slightly larger than the D41 spiders. So...I had to have the carrier machined to accept the larger D44 spiders gears, or in this case the mini-spool. In the end, the machining and $79 mini-spool was a lot cheaper than the lockright locker. As a bonus, I can put various D44 spiders and axle combinations in the D41 should I choose to take out the mini-spool.

I know it's a little late for yours now that you have the Lincoln Locker, but maybe you could use the idea for a project in the future. I'm excited to see this jeep in action!

Rick

1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   β€œNewt”

My Videos
Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2016 at 1:00pm
Excellent Info Rick! I was careful not to damage the carrier itself so when time permits I may follow along the same train of thought!
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2016 at 10:40pm
I hear this thread needs to be updated?
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2016 at 3:55pm
It's been two months!  What's happenin'???
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2016 at 4:49pm
I hear that they are driving around in it but I didn't get the memo
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2016 at 5:57pm
Yeah, I saw a bootleg video of this jeep driving around with its hood off. Where's the official pictures and updated status report???!!?!?
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   β€œNewt”

My Videos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>