Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Where's the build thread"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 2:57am
.....Caught me, Ill post pics ASAP but here is the run down.

All systems go, Brakes, Clutch, Exhaust, check! And I must say OMG! power steering on one of these old beaters is the bomb!

Rumors are true, it has moved down the street under its own power and even stopped well (11 inch brakes are like having power brakes on this light lil ride). The you tube video sucks, no exhaust, belt squeak ect. lil things to fix but Alice wanted a pic of it moving for the first time in decades so I let her shoot a quick vid. (not like I could have stopped her). I`m pleased with the over all outcome and really amazed with the power this has

Couple of things to revisit, I mounted the front spring anchor for the rear springs about an inch to far back allowing the CJ5 springs to overwrap under stress. I will move those. And I want re program the PCM removing the pre and post catalytic converter o2 sensors as well as the evap systems.
I have to slightly change the skid plate from stock to marry with the new exhaust. I have an extended crank in the mornings after it sits over night, (need to check my pump). Lastly the body will get a 1 inch lift.

Now that I`m sure all the systems work as desired I will get busy on the body. This will be a trail rig expecting damage. I`ll make rocker guards, and preform body repairs accordingly (meaning it`ll look nice, but be far from the quality of body work some of the rides you all have)

Things I have purchased for this project:
Clutch kit
Alum Radiator
Brake shoes, wheel cylinder kits bulk brake line and braided flex lines
pinion seals, axle seals and wheel bearings
2 junk bodies from BW

Everything else I had laying around, or given to me. I see in the future the upgrading of the transmission to a sm465, I d like to get an OD unit for this at some point in the future (depending on transmission / transfer case choices should I break them), and maybe go with a tera low. The axles are stock and may prove to be a weak point, time will tell. This is a work in progress and will transform accordingly for sure.
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
48-52 CJ Series Bubba Jeep
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 12:53am
Videos:

Pics:

Kayley's Prom ride:

CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 2:58pm
Thanks Jeff for posting those!

The seats are not going in this, they were just there for the ride lol
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2016 at 11:38pm
Sorry for the lack of updates, just lazy I guess ;)
I would say we have put about 20 miles on the chassis fixing any issues that we came upon. So I have now installed the new clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing. New rear main seal, sending units for the gauges, exhaust fabricated.  Body back off, I only had a few bolts in it just to test the chassis.

I plan on doing just minor work to the body so I can use the jeep a bit this summer to see how it holds up on a couple of good trails. Once I am happy with it I`ll finish the body. One thing I have to work on is a bit of torque steer, not on acceleration, but when I release the throttle under a moderate acceleration. In short it wants to steer right when the nose dives down. I may try a stabilizer.
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2016 at 1:00am
Lookin good!, is the t/c sitting stock on the crossmember ?.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2016 at 1:32am
Pretty much Lee, I had to slide it a bit to the right to keep the exhaust between the frame rails. Other than that the cross member remains uncut.
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2016 at 3:08am
Cool!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2016 at 12:35am
Hijacking Dmac's spotWink...My pretty purple jeep is not named Scratch or AMW (Against my will)Ouch...I believe she is going to be named CrazyAl  . I am so excited to have her done soon, 25 years in the making Cry but she is almost thereThumbs Up.  I guarantee that there will be pics of the Big Lug DMac driving her.
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2018 at 10:17pm
Oh will you look at that a lonely SM420 followed me home yesterday. I wonder what I might do with this fine transmission Wink
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2018 at 3:16am
I think we can all agree that you'll give it a good home.  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234