Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which fuel tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which fuel tank
    Posted: 09 Aug. 2022 at 11:17pm
Hello!

I'm looking to replace the fuel tank in my stock like Jeep.  I was told it has a hole in it and it's been sitting for at least 8 yrs.  I've seen them all over in price and material (metal vs plastic).

I saw one on Amazon by Omix-ada.  Any experience with that company?  Any thing I should look out for?

I'll probably replace the sending unit while I'm at it.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2022 at 12:28am
If I had to pick one supplier to avoid, it would be Omix-ada. IMHO, They have zero quality control. Worse yet, they do not care about their customers. Omix is a supplier of offshore crap. They do not actually make the parts themselves. However, with no concerns about supplying quality parts to customers it is not surprising that they do not hold their manufacturers accountable, & hence they sell junk.

They know that there are problems with many of their products, but they refuse to address the issues. If they sent you a replacement part, it also has issues, often the same issue that you are rejecting the first part for.

I had one customer that received the same part that he had rejected as bad for it's own replacement. They did this twice to him. He only got a different replacement part when he delayed sending back the old part until he had the new one in hand. As I expected, the new part had the same dimensional issue. It also had been installed on someone else's Jeep. I suspect that they sent our bad part to him. What a scam!

AS far as fuel tanks go, there are some available that are made in the states. I prefer metal tanks. some folks like the plastic ones. IME, the plastic tanks get brittle in sub-zero temperatures. Of course, YMMV. Heck, you may live in L.A. & cold temperatures are not an issue for you.

Note: I tend to think of the sending unit & the fuel gauge as a matched set. Unless the sending unit is bad or damaged in some way, I recommend you keep it with the fuel gauge. Matching a new sending unit to a new gauge can be tricky. Matching it to a used gauge can be even more tricky. Trickier?

IHTH, Cpt Logger.

PS. Welcome aboard!

Edited to add the PS.

Edited by cpt logger - 10 Aug. 2022 at 12:36am
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2022 at 1:21am
Actually, I bought an Omix tank from Summit & it's not horrible. The only issue I had was that the threaded hole for the outlet had paint in it.
 Pretty sure Walcks sells the Omix tank.
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2022 at 8:59am
I bought a tank from Kaiser Willys a few years back. I don’t know what brand it is but I didn’t have any issues with it. 
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2022 at 10:37am
I have bought two tanks, both from reputable suppliers.

One came in a box branded "Crown" the other in a box branded "Rugged Ridge". The Crown branded tank leaked around the bung for the fuel line, and I fixed that. The Rugged Ridge leaked around a seam and I replaced it with a very good quality plastic tank which has been in the Jeep for over a year and not leaked a drop.

I suspect both of these tanks were Asian imports probably through Omix-Ada.

Debella has a tank which is embossed with "OLAP" which used to be known for good quality tanks. I don't know if these are actually OLAP, but might be worth a call to Peter.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2022 at 10:56am
Curious about previous post. Is it OLAP or OLACO? I’m only familiar with the latter.

John
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2022 at 10:56am
O.L. Anderson Company (OLACO) made original jeep fuel tanks.

1951 M38
1951 M100
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2022 at 12:05pm
Don't know where I got "Olap", a senior moment I guess.

I went to the Debella site and the tanks he sells are stamped with the "Olaco" trade mark. Don't know if actually made by that company. I plan to try one of these when I need another.

Here is the description on the site:

"These are high quality reproduction Steel Fuel Tanks for the CJ3A, CJ3A, CJ3B and CJ5.  These tanks are stamped Olaco."

Edited by Oldpappy - 10 Aug. 2022 at 12:06pm
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2022 at 12:17pm
Any thing branded Rugged Ridge is Omix-ADA, they own the trademark.

I haven't had any problems with my Omix tank in the 7 years since I installed it. Knock wood! I can't say that about some of the other Omix parts I have installed...fitment issues, wrong threads, poor machining specs...

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 10 Aug. 2022 at 12:20pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2022 at 2:19pm
Yup, I can’t recall a single aftermarket part that I did not have to dick around with to make it fit properly. 
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
WKWillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKWillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2022 at 9:53pm
I bought a nice one, new from QTM four years ago. Fit fine, functions fine. Came painted black. Not sure of manufacturer. But it doesn't leak, drain and fuel line fitting were correct, and fuel level sensor assembly fit fine.
'48 CJ2a "Snakeskin"
'50 M38 "Thunder from Heaven"
'52 M38a1 "Patina"
'47 T3c
'48 T3c
'52 M100
Matt S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2022 at 10:37pm
Thanks everyone!  I'm going to steer away from the Omix-ada where I can.
Dahdo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dahdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2022 at 4:59pm
I bought a Rugged Ridge / OMIX ADA through Walcks. Only problem was poor threads on the outlet. I recommend replacing your fuel line at the same time so you get good threads on the flare fitting attached to the tank. The tank only has about 1-1/2 turns of thread before your line seats. Carl Walck is well aware of the problem with the fitting, and has complained to OMIX, but he sticks with it because it it the best fit. 

46 CJ-2A
59 Wagon
"it's not hoarding if it's old jeeps"
 Post Reply Post Reply