Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who would want a jeep history?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who would want a jeep history?
    Posted: 16 Jan. 2020 at 1:17pm
I posted this - https://www.farmjeep.com/2020/01/14/who-would-want-a-jeep-predictions-from-1943-and-1944/ a couple of days ago and then posted it to two Facebook "Jeep" groups I follow.  I was interested to see if there was any interest in history among these Jeep fans.  I got a total of 3 likes and 2 comments (they have a combined 9k followers).  While not a surprise, it confirmed what I already knew, that most young Jeep owners don't care about Jeep history.

One of the groups is the local Jeep club and I took our CJ3a and my farm Jeep display to their annual  show a few years back. There were a couple of "stock" CJs but most of the displays were heavily modified machines.  They drew the crowds.  I've never been back.  There just wasn't any real interest in a Jeep with a plow hanging off the back.

While I'm excited about the idea of a Jeep museum coming to Toledo, I have to wonder if it can succeed on history alone.  I know the developers have said it will include a "Jeep Experience" section and perhaps that will be the big draw.  Then maybe a few people will stick around long enough to visit the museum.  I hope so. 

Barry
https://www.farmjeep.com/
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2020 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by lhfarmbt lhfarmbt wrote:

...most young Jeep owners [folks] don't care about Jeep history....

FIFY
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2020 at 5:35pm
I think it's strength in numbers that get the attention, not the single Jeep.
If you get a caravan of 10-40 old Jeeps going down the highway, that gets attention.
I've seen folks pull over and jump out of their cars with their cameras or phones to take pictures.

1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2020 at 5:46pm
Ok boomers

Remember this?

Edited by Nick_ - 16 Jan. 2020 at 5:53pm
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2020 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by Nick_ Nick_ wrote:

Ok boomers

Remember this?

Actually?  No. LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2020 at 6:51pm
I do remember, signed Boomer...

I wasn't expecting a large number of comments, but expected more than none.  I thought that by taking a humorous approach I might spark at least a little interest.  

One comment, from the "leader" of the local club was "Cool."  I'll take that.  The second was from a guy who said "Some old jeeps had 3 point lifts and PTO shafts."  That is OK too.

I think my approach of having them to click through to read the post was an error.  People don't want to waste time doing that, so I suspect many just past on by.  I may try to post the same info again, without the need to go anywhere - spoon feeding.

Barry
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2020 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Ok boomers

Remember this?

Actually?  No. LOL

Me either, not so much. But I do remember this:  

BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2020 at 7:03pm

Ok boomers

Remember this?

Yes, I'm old enough to remember...trying to forget. Never was "British Invasion" fan...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2020 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Ok boomers

Remember this?

Actually?  No. LOL

Me either, not so much. But I do remember this:  

BW

Best.  Movie.  Eva.
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2020 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

Yes, I'm old enough to remember...trying to forget. Never was "British Invasion" fan...
I'm sorry to hear that! My senior year in college I was lucky enough to have some free time, so I took an entire class on 1960's music. British invasion, Mowtown, acid rock. Absolutely loved it.

I think my approach of having them to click through to read the post was an error.  People don't want to waste time doing that, so I suspect many just past on by.  I may try to post the same info again, without the need to go anywhere - spoon feeding.
This is exactly right. From a marketing standpoint, linking people to other websites is a bad idea (typically). You've suddenly lost them - they're no longer on Facebook to comment.

Also a lack of pictures. How many websites or magazines produce articles without accompanying pictures?
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2020 at 7:38pm
Best Youtubes - of real guys with real old Jeeps

Edited by Stev - 16 Jan. 2020 at 7:44pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2020 at 9:58pm
Its Obvious that Roo's was wrong in his comments.

Willys Jeeps became delivery vehicles, Service vehicles for everything from Autos to TV and Radio I know of two Photographers that used them to get to locations in the 1940's I spent 3 days with one of them on a College Ornithology Field trip riding shotgun in his Toyota Land cruiser (he was hired by the College to take photos for the Professors to use in classes) When he found out I had been driving CHUG all through High school he told me about how when he got started the only new vehicle that he could afford that suited his needs was a Willys Jeep He had one with a Canvas top he soon replaced with a Sears Hard top on it. Used by the Forest service, Airports, Fire Dept's, Police dept's, Resorts and Hotels, the Post office, Life Guards, SNOW PLOW, Ice Cream truck, All manner of in town people used Willys Jeeps. And I am sure the Jeep Clubs that started popping up in the early 50's would be very surprised to find out it would take decades for them to be considered a recreational vehicle. Just go cruising on eWillys to see dozens and dozens of in town and non farm uses for Willys jeeps.

Rant over.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2020 at 11:32pm
British Invasion yes. Never was a Who fan. Acid rock in the ‘60s?  Psychedelic rock yep
Mike in AZ
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2020 at 12:38am
“Certainly, the jeep is not going to affect the passenger car because no one wants a four-wheel drive passenger car that has big tires and is a hog on gasoline. It would eat up tires and gasoline and would be expensive....”

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2020 at 8:13am
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

“Certainly, the jeep is not going to affect the passenger car because no one wants a four-wheel drive passenger car that has big tires and is a hog on gasoline. It would eat up tires and gasoline and would be expensive....”

You have to admit, the Mall Crawler makes zero sense... the rest is revisionist history.  Keep in mind Barney had the depression and WWII rationing in his experience.  It's hardly fair to project the waste and excess of the present day back like that.  The jeep of the day was spartan by design, and while the civilian version being proposed would not likely suffer the extremes of having bolts and cotter pins trimmed to save weight, the modern day equivalent is more akin to driving a side by side utv to Macy's Confused

Edited by mbullism - 17 Jan. 2020 at 2:32pm
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2020 at 1:31pm

[QUOTE=SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A]

Also a lack of pictures. How many websites or magazines produce articles without accompanying pictures?
You are correct.  In my reply to the comment, I pointed them to our ad page https://www.farmjeep.com/links/ads-and-brochures/ but again they had to click.  We do have a facebook page Willys Farm Jeep that just mirrors are blog posts.  It does get some hits.

I'm less worried about these guys following our site than I am about the success of the new historical museum.  But as I said in my post I think the developers have a better understanding of what the market will demand - a modern jeep experience, where history goes back to about 1984.

Barry
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2020 at 2:19pm

[QUOTE=SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A]

You are correct.  In my reply to the comment, I pointed them to our ad page https://www.farmjeep.com/links/ads-and-brochures/ but again they had to click.  We do have a facebook page Willys Farm Jeep that just mirrors are blog posts.  It does get some hits.

I'm less worried about these guys following our site than I am about the success of the new historical museum.  But as I said in my post I think the developers have a better understanding of what the market will demand - a modern jeep experience, where history goes back to about 1984.

Barry

I'm confused... This quote is attributed to me but I didn't post it.

I agree with it but didn't have the smarts to say it...

I think that people nowadays tend to want a video with plenty of pictures and illustrations rather than read about something. A lot of people do not read anymore. I have asked people I know about the book version of something that just came out as a movie and they will say they saw the movie and didn't even know there was a book.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and to a certain extent I can follow that line of thinking. I still like a good book...then, I might watch the movie...and No...I read the book, not a Kindle.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2020 at 2:53pm
I believe brains are being re-programed with technology through the use of memes, emojis, snap chat and alike. Very fast information with a few words and an image. Sitting down to read an article or book just takes TOO LONG! Kids have less patience now then ever. Think about the time it took to write a letter to someone, now just a quick e-mail. Think about how long it took to dial a rotary phone, now just a simple voice command. Remember when you had all your friends/family telephone numbers memorized? I used to play with Legos, now my kids rather build virtual city's on a hand held device. Luckily we are still around to teach and set good examples....  

- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>