Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why no motor script?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeeJayTwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why no motor script?
    Posted: 11 Aug. 2022 at 12:59am
I see Go Devil motors have "Jeep" and "Willys" embossed on top of head. I have the firing order, Intake  Exhaust and tappet numbers on rear pass quadrant but not Script?  1946 SerNo 19xxx, block 641087. 

Edited by SeeJayTwo - 11 Aug. 2022 at 9:39am
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2022 at 10:13am
Early versions of the Willys L134, and Ford GPW versions did not have "Willys" or "Jeep" cast in the head. The Ford GPW did nave a script "F", and those heads are worth more to the GPW crowd.

Does it have a three or two bolt thermostat housing?

If you post a picture of your head folks here can help identify it. 

Edited by Oldpappy - 11 Aug. 2022 at 10:15am
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
SeeJayTwo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeeJayTwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2022 at 11:55am
Head pic

Edited by SeeJayTwo - 11 Aug. 2022 at 11:57am
SeeJayTwo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeeJayTwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2022 at 11:58am
Also, the radiator has a "bladder"? looks like a rubber sheet across top or core, inside. What is that?

Edited by SeeJayTwo - 11 Aug. 2022 at 12:00pm
SeeJayTwo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeeJayTwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2022 at 12:01pm
Here is the "original" very tight tan paint. I think?

Edited by SeeJayTwo - 11 Aug. 2022 at 12:02pm
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2022 at 12:24pm
My GPW head has the Ford script just in front of the thermostat but one side is a little faint. Just below it, however, is embossed in raised letters "GPW". Should be easy to see.
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2022 at 1:22pm

Suffer Fools, Gladly!
U.S. Army Iraq Veteran (ret.)
SeeJayTwo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeeJayTwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2022 at 1:55pm
Mostly hidden under oil filter bracket. But I see W2 and above that, up next to the flat pad, last two digits of a number........either  00  or  OC
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2022 at 3:22pm
Sounds pretty much like that's what you have.

Interesting note, to me at least. In a side-by-side comparison the Ford head appears to have a slightly smaller combustion chamber. I haven't hit the research trail yet, but it makes me wonder if the GPW had a bit higher compression ratio.

Maybe it's just mine; it could have been surfaced a time or two.
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
SeeJayTwo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeeJayTwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2022 at 3:29pm
I think it's not Ford. I've been surfing and don't see that my numbers, so far, indicate Ford.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2022 at 10:15pm
The earlier L134 heads from Willys car engines did not have the logos, but they had two bolt thermostat housings. 

Early to mid war Willys MB heads didn't have logos either. I am thinking that is probably what you have. 

Heads are interchangeable, but would be interesting to see a picture of the timing cover on the front, and the serial number boss on the block in front of the head. 

Here is a link to a site with pictures of various heads. 

SeeJayTwo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeeJayTwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2022 at 12:32am
Looks like you are right Oldpappy, I see 63XXXX0C, 3 hole Tstat and no Willys or Jeep. The early ones were hybrids..,..or a replacement head. No number on pad, upper of water pump. 41-42? Weird.

Edited by SeeJayTwo - 12 Aug. 2022 at 1:00am
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2022 at 10:59am
Could be a MB engine, or could be a civilian engine with a MB head. If it is a MB engine it has a chain drive cam, and if so it has the wrong timing cover for a chain drive cam. 

The chain drive cam engines have a spring and plunger which rides against the end of the cam. The pin for that plunger is riveted to the timing cover which would show in the round area of the cover, and I don't see that in the picture.

Need to determine whether this is a WW2 engine, if it turns out it is you need to have that plunger to keep the cam from moving in and out in the bore.  

The gear drive cam engines use a retainer plate behind the gear and the plunger was eliminated. 

I have came across several chain drive engines which have the wrong timing cover without the plunger. They will run that way but premature wear will develop into damage.

Edited by Oldpappy - 12 Aug. 2022 at 11:02am
SeeJayTwo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeeJayTwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2022 at 11:42am
 block No. 641087 does not indicate MB or Civilian. So how to determine WWII motor or not?

Edited by SeeJayTwo - 12 Aug. 2022 at 11:44am
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2022 at 11:59am
You've answered your own question.  Cast number 641087 is not a WWII engine block.  It is a CJ2A-CJ3A era engine block.

The head is still undetermined.  You may find a cast number under the oil filter bracket.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
SeeJayTwo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeeJayTwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2022 at 12:28pm
OK, I will check that when possible. thank you very much. Still getting the cobwebs off after 35 years of non op. Found a tag on Carter carb 
636s 
D7
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2022 at 12:28pm
Should have noticed the shape of the boss between the head and water pump. The shape of this on a WW2 engines is rounded on the ends. So, I agree it is a later engine and you don't need to worry about the cam or timing cover, it will have a gear drive cam. 

I notice there is no oil filter on the engine. I have one if you need it. It is a Fram that came off a 48 CJ2A. 

Edited by Oldpappy - 12 Aug. 2022 at 12:30pm
SeeJayTwo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeeJayTwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2022 at 12:36pm
Good news. Earlier Pics show filter. took it off to see block casting number.

What are these????

Edited by SeeJayTwo - 12 Aug. 2022 at 12:37pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>