Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why not winter fronts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why not winter fronts?
    Posted: 21 Sep. 2017 at 7:32pm
Why not run winter fronts rather than a 180* stat if running a heater? I have the 180 in mine now and am going to the cooler stat since 2/3rds of the year I don't really need a heater. A winter front seems a lot easier than changing out stats. I use winter fronts on my diesel trucks. Of course common sense avoids any issues using a winter front can represent. ( Such as keep an eye on the temp gauge).

Edited by jhg - 21 Sep. 2017 at 7:34pm
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2017 at 7:59pm
I also use a "winter front" It is a piece of cardboard slipped in front of the radiator. Cheap & easy. Varying the size varies the running temperature. This is on my Dodge Cummings Turbo Diesel pick-up.

Heater in a CJ? Sacrelig!!Smile

I suppose that you-all have an enclosed top for it as well? What is the world coming to?!?!Shocked
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2017 at 8:31pm
When I lost my golden curls and became "that bald guy" to all the pretty girls I started wearing hats when it got cold. Then a heater in the willys for my feet. Next are a blanket and a cane...but I will still be driving my cj.
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2017 at 10:35pm
Just for the record, we Jeepers here in CA have NO IDEA what the heck you are talking about.
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2017 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by cal.bar cal.bar wrote:

Just for the record, we Jeepers here in CA have NO IDEA what the heck you are talking about.

Kind of shaky on it here in the South too.  Although I do know what a heater is.

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2017 at 2:28am
I know what cardboard is....

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2017 at 2:35am
Heaters and tops! We don't need no stinking heaters and tops!

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2017 at 10:44am
In Mich. we call riding around with no top, no heaters.....Snowmobiling and lest we forget the lowly heater is like another small radiator that can help a jeep running a temp. Stan your pic's and a few other's have encouraged me to try going topless this winter(that and running out of time) I'm only worried about Jan. We'll see. Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2017 at 2:28pm
I've ran around in a CJ5 with no top and the windshield down after snow and ice storms.  

But being from the South, I did have the heater on full.  

mictat2214 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mictat2214 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2017 at 3:11pm
I leave my 46' in the garage.

Edited by mictat2214 - 22 Sep. 2017 at 3:16pm
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2017 at 3:38pm
Both of my Jeeps run 2 heaters. I just use your basic paper grocery bag installed so the folded part on the bottom keeps it from sliding down too far. I didn't do that one winter and it is a pain to get in to remove it the next spring. I also travel with a squeegee and a scraper to deal with the frost on the inside.
uncamonkey
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2017 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by cal.bar cal.bar wrote:

What you really mean is you, SOUTHERN California folks, have no idea. Ask any one from North San Juan, Shasta City, or Truckee. They know very well what we are talking about.

I know it is a shock to you-all that California consists of more than L.A. Shocked

I hope that this information does not cause you to have a mental breakdown!Smile
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2017 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by jhg jhg wrote:

Why not run winter fronts rather than a 180* stat if running a heater? I have the 180 in mine now and am going to the cooler stat since 2/3rds of the year I don't really need a heater. A winter front seems a lot easier than changing out stats. I use winter fronts on my diesel trucks. Of course common sense avoids any issues using a winter front can represent. ( Such as keep an eye on the temp gauge).

Because a thermostat is automatic. You don't have to change anything. I run 180* thermostats in both of my jeeps winter and summer with no problems. And no heater in either one.   BW

It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2017 at 3:20pm
In my research the move to 180 degree stats happened with the increase use of the ethylene antifreeze. An engine runs cleaner and more efficiently at 180 degrees.

Alcohol antifreeze would boil off at 180, so was limited to 160?

Prior to the "new" antifreeze, the annual spring and fall changing of stats happened at least in the cold areas.......................

Everyone wanted an extra 20 degrees of heat coming out of the heater, quite a luxury in the day.

The cardboard was put in front of the radiator to keep the engine from freezing, going down the road. not for comfort from the heater.

I can still remember my brother telling me the story of being a poor college student, and not being able to afford antifreeze putting kerosene in the radiator for the winter............................

Edited by willys54wagon - 24 Sep. 2017 at 3:28pm
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2017 at 2:53am
ALL HAIL SMFULLE!!!!

Here in north Idaho, I'll be running a top and TWO heaters...
Yeah, it's nice to run with the top down, but come about November you're looking at frostbite going any faster than about 15mph. It's also no fun for your breath to freeze up on the inside of the windshield... Shocked

I have the obligatory toe warmer, and in the back I'll be replacing the heater of unknown origin with the auxiliary heater from a motorhome I'm parting out.

If you look at some of the longer 70s class A RVs, some of them have an engine coolant powered aux heater in the rear under one of the beds. 

I'll mount the controls under the dash by the toe heater switch and maybe plumb in a 60s Ford-style, cable-operated coolant valve for heat control and route the hoses under the tub. I'm going to plumb in duct work for a defroster while I'm at it.

Edited by LesBerg - 25 Sep. 2017 at 2:55am
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
nmbailey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nmbailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2017 at 1:15pm
My Jeep isn't anywhere near ready to go, but a couple years ago when my girlfriend at the time's car wasn't working and she was driving mine, I was riding my Victory V92 in the dead of winter. Could have been worse as I'm in Georgia, but that was also the year the temperature actually dropped to single digits. Carhartt coveralls, very thick gloves with an extra set of liners, and a baclava/beanie thing with goggles and I still had icicles forming in my beard.

Once I fixed her car (88 CRX, CV joint broke) I ended up driving it while she drove my Magnum because, as it turns out, the heater didn't work in it.

I remember a fun little game we use to play in NW Indiana called freeze out. Four of us in the XJ, all the windows down, last person to close their window wins. The fun part was when I locked the windows so the others couldn't get them back up!
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ
1988 Mazda B2200
1947 CJ2a s/n 123737 - Soon to be in progress... for the last 6 years...
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2017 at 6:00pm
We play the same game here in the deep south, only in the heat of the summer with the A/C.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

nmbailey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nmbailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2017 at 6:39pm
I just call that driving. My truck uses 3-55 AC. Three windows and at least 55 miles an hour. The only time it's an issue is when it's raining, because here in Savannah the whole inside of the truck tries to fog up from the humidity.

I actually took all the stock AC components out of my truck and sold them to someone in St. Augustine, FL for about $100 and the heater duct portion that was installed on Non-AC models where the evaporator assembly goes. I didn't feel like converting to R134 after everything was opened and removed while I rebuilt the engine and no one around here will touch an R12 system.

My CJ2 will have neither heat nor AC, but I also never even ran the heat in my previous house here in the winter since it's a $30 charge to the gas turned on, another $30 to disconnect, a $10 per month fee just for having it turned on between the two charges and the furnace was the only thing still on gas. It would be $80 plus how ever much gas I would actually use just for two months out of the year heating an old drafty house that the only insulation was installed between the ceiling and the attic!

Edited by nmbailey - 26 Sep. 2017 at 6:41pm
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ
1988 Mazda B2200
1947 CJ2a s/n 123737 - Soon to be in progress... for the last 6 years...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>