Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Will people help me plan a Moab trip?  And report!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will people help me plan a Moab trip? And report!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will people help me plan a Moab trip? And report!
    Posted: 31 May 2019 at 3:16am
(edit:  I started this thread back in the spring to get people's help planning a Moab vacation.  I really appreciate all of the help I got!  We were in Moab last week, so I thought I'd add the trip report to the end of this thread.  That starts on page 2 of this thread.  added Sep 24)

My wife and I are planning a trip out to Moab in September.  This will be my first time there and I know there are some Moab regulars here.  I'm hoping some of you will help this wannabe out.  It'll just be the two of us in my '71 Bronco (2 lockers, 33" tires, 70:1 crawl ratio and a winch).

Thanks in advance!

Campground
We'll be "camping" in a 28' class C motorhome.  I'm sort of looking at Canyonlands RV Resort and Campground right in Moab.  Generally we're not thrilled with the idea of camping right in town, but at least it has some trees for shade.  Does this seem like a good choice?  Or does anyone have any other recommendations?

Trails
This is the most important part, the real reason for going to Moab!  We plan on spending most of 4 days 'wheeling.  But we aren't looking for any 12 hour marathons or night 'wheeling.  Being able to get back to camp in time to make dinner each night will be good on this trip.

I've done some fairly serious 'wheeling, but since I'll be alone with my wife we aren't looking for anything too dangerous.  Looking at You-Tube videos (especially from the Qwazzy Eights!) I have the following thoughts.  Am I off base?  Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Rusty Nail, Cliffhanger and Coyote Canyon
Getting these out of the way first, they look like they're probably more than we want on this trip, so they are on the "no" list.  Any reason to change that?

Moab Rim
Devil's Crack and Z-Turn look challenging enough to be fun, but not too much for us on this trip, so I'm thinking we'll include this one.  How long does this trail take?  And there don't seem to be a lot of named obstacles on it.  Will it be long and boring (other than the scenery of course) after the Ledges?  I'm not too worried about this, we can obviously turn around any time we want, but I'm looking for more info.

Poison Spider, Golden Spike and Gold Bar Rim
It looks like doing all three might be the 12 hour marathon we aren't looking for.  If that's the case, is there a good way to do some of it, or split it into two days?  Looking at a map I can imagine doing Poison Spider one day and coming in to Gold Bar Rim and Golden Spike from Gemini Bridges on another day (maybe as far as Golden Crack?).  Does that seem reasonable?  And again, how long might we be looking at?

Kane Creek Canyon
I'm not sure about this one.  It sounds like much of it might be less challenging than we're looking for, with what I've read saying the end maybe being more than we want.  But most of the videos I've watched make it seem doable.  Any thought on this one?

Hell's Revenge
I don't think we'd want to tackle Potato Salad Hill, the Escalator or most of the Hot Tubs on this trip.  With only 4 days of 'wheeling is this trail good enough to make the cut with some of its highlights removed?

Metal Masher
I know we could find more challenges than we're looking for on this trail.  But it sort of looks like there might be easy enough lines that we could still have fun.  Should this make the cut?

Non-'wheeling activities
In addition to the 4 day's of mostly 'wheeling we plan to spend another day (or two?) being more ordinary tourists.  I know there are a ton of things to see, including several National Parks, and that there's no way we can do it all.  Does anyone have any must-see's for us?

Thanks again!

Edited by Nothing Special - 24 Sep. 2019 at 5:40pm
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 5:15am
Bolded is mine.

Originally posted by Nothing Special Nothing Special wrote:

My wife and I are planning a trip out to Moab in September.  This will be my first time there and I know there are some Moab regulars here.  I'm hoping some of you will help this wannabe out.  It'll just be the two of us in my '71 Bronco (2 lockers, 33" tires, 70:1 crawl ratio and a winch).

Thanks in advance!

Campground
We'll be "camping" in a 28' class C motorhome.  I'm sort of looking at Canyonlands RV Resort and Campground right in Moab.  Generally we're not thrilled with the idea of camping right in town, but at least it has some trees for shade.  Does this seem like a good choice?  Or does anyone have any other recommendations?

Jpet and I always stay here BECAUSE it is in town. We tent camp so it’s a little different. They have nice showers there and we take a lot if meals across the street at the Moab Inn. There are trees there, but the camp spots are close together so if pretty close  neighbors bugs you you won’t like it. Being right in town makes lots of things handy, like restaurants and souvenir shops.

Trails
This is the most important part, the real reason for going to Moab!  We plan on spending most of 4 days 'wheeling.  But we aren't looking for any 12 hour marathons or night 'wheeling.  Being able to get back to camp in time to make dinner each night will be good on this trip.

I've done some fairly serious 'wheeling, but since I'll be alone with my wife we aren't looking for anything too dangerous.  Looking at You-Tube videos (especially from the Qwazzy Eights!) I have the following thoughts.  Am I off base?  Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Rusty Nail, Cliffhanger and Coyote Canyon
Getting these out of the way first, they look like they're probably more than we want on this trip, so they are on the "no" list.  Any reason to change that?

Skip these this time. Haven’t done Coyote Canyon, but hear it’s pretty much rock buggy territory, Rusty Nail is one to do with some friends they can assist you and you them. You might be able to do Cliffhanger, but I would not go by myself. I broke an axle there during Safari. One of my favorites with breathtaking views, but a real challenge.

Moab Rim
Devil's Crack and Z-Turn look challenging enough to be fun, but not too much for us on this trip, so I'm thinking we'll include this one.  How long does this trail take?  And there don't seem to be a lot of named obstacles on it.  Will it be long and boring (other than the scenery of course) after the Ledges?  I'm not too worried about this, we can obviously turn around any time we want, but I'm looking for more info.

The two obstacles you named are the toughest and have had many rollovers on both. The rest of the trail to the first overlook is fun and interesting. Rock steps and ledges along with off camber stuff and the nearby cliff edge add to the fun. I have never been past the first overlook but I hear there are some sand dunes or hills to play in, but can’t really say about further up. 
Up to the first overlook and back can be done by lunchtime if you get a good start and there isn’t a big crowd on the trai.

Poison Spider, Golden Spike and Gold Bar Rim
It looks like doing all three might be the 12 hour marathon we aren't looking for.  If that's the case, is there a good way to do some of it, or split it into two days?  Looking at a map I can imagine doing Poison Spider one day and coming in to Gold Bar Rim and Golden Spike from Gemini Bridges on another day (maybe as far as Golden Crack?).  Does that seem reasonable?  And again, how long might we be looking at?

Poison Spider, in and out,  is a pretty good day in itself, especially if you do the big loop at the top and stop at all the overlooks. It is one of my favorites. You could maybe figure out a way to sneak in the nearby Where Eagles Dare. I haven’t done this one but hear it’s pretty neat.

To The Golden Crack and back on Gold Bar Rim has some good challenges. The Waterfall is a big wall, but there is a winch point if you can’t get up it. I’ve seen an axle or two broken coming down it. When we go in a group of 5 or 6, this is the better part if a day.

I’m not sure I would take on all 3 in one day, especially my first time to Moab. It’s a marathon of a day and stuff that might have bee fun 4 hours ago becomes a dread at the end of the day

Kane Creek Canyon
I'm not sure about this one.  It sounds like much of it might be less challenging than we're looking for, with what I've read saying the end maybe being more than we want.  But most of the videos I've watched make it seem doable.  Any thought on this one?

Kane Creek is a fun trai, with many water crossing, Not too tough at first, but Hambutger Hill is pretty rough. I haven’t been on it for a few years, but I hear it’s gotten rougher in the past few years. It a pretty long trail that dumps you out pretty far south of town. You’d be back for dinner if you don’t have any problems, but it would be close.

Hell's Revenge
I don't think we'd want to tackle Potato Salad Hill, the Escalator or most of the Hot Tubs on this trip.  With only 4 days of 'wheeling is this trail good enough to make the cut with some of its highlights removed?

If I were in Moab and could only run one trail, it would be Hell’s Revenge. It is the quintessential Moab trail and you can make it as easy or as tough as you like. Just climbing the big rock domes and fins is one of my favorite things to do in Moab. This is where you learn that the traction on the ‘slick rock” is amazing. Even if you don’t try Hell’s Gate or The Escalator, watching others do them is big fun. The first hot tub, The Car Wash, is doable by anyone. This past weekend Akan (tamnalan) went through it in his stock MB with open diffs.  
Hell’s can take from 2 to 5 hours depending on how much time you spend at the stops. The Colorado River overlook alone is worth the ride. Do this one for sure.
Potato Salad Hill is not part if the trail, just a tough climb a little ways off the road going up to the Hell’s Revenge trail head.

Metal Masher
I know we could find more challenges than we're looking for on this trail.  But it sort of looks like there might be easy enough lines that we could still have fun.  Should this make the cut?

I had a fun time on Metal Masher. You pretty much can pick your poison here. Rock Chucker and Widowmaker have full bypasses and if you’re by yourself, you probably should bypass them. I ran it in the rain and had trouble on some things that I think I should be able to make on a dry day. Definitely   worth doing. Probably not my number one choice, but a good choice. The view from the top is super nice.

Non-'wheeling activities
In addition to the 4 day's of mostly 'wheeling we plan to spend another day (or two?) being more ordinary tourists.  I know there are a ton of things to see, including several National Parks, and that there's no way we can do it all.  Does anyone have any must-see's for us?

Just walking around town is a pretty touristy thing to do. There a fun quirky shops and restaurants.  If you take a ride up into Arches National Park (15 minutes north if town, but the wait at the gate can be killer on a busy day) and don’t mind hiking a bit, go check out Delicate Arch. Lots if other arches and sites within walking distance if the road in the park and plenty to see without getting out of the seat and the air conditioning.
Outside the park (so not so many people) the short hike to Corona Arch is pretty easy and the arch is amazing. 
Dead Horse Point State Park is about an hour out of town. Great views of the Colorado River goosenecks and a dark zone if you want to see the night sky without light pollution. Sunsets there are legendary.

Thanks again!
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 5:55am
MOAB IS GREAT FUN.

I like:
Kane Creek-----had a flash flood sneak up on us and watched a brand new Tacoma get washed down stream.

poison spider...great day run

fin & things---- fun----rain made it real fun---slippery

hey Joe canyon  

hells revenge

copper canyon???---has dinosaur tracks that you can check out

San Rafael swell is interesting....if still open.

Just out of Green River----just North of Moab---if open---used to have a steam geyser that was interesting.    Green River is famous for water melons.

Half day jaunt ---round trip---to circleville--- one can see Butch Cassidy's house.
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 7:48am
I agree with Stan. If you have never been to Moab, Hell’s Revenge is a must do. Especially since you are by yourself. It’s also the closest trail to town and it is the most likely to have other people on it. It is as Stan described. Last EJS I did the trail three times. Two of those times we started the trail in the afternoon after we had spent the day on another trail. It might be kinda hot in September though. Last year in August we ran it. We started about 8:00 in the morning to beat the heat and we were in the Moab Diner by noon. By the time we finished, the temp was 105. My point is, you could do HR on the same day as another trail such as Fins & Things or Moab Rim which are also relatively close to town.

Cliffhanger might be my favorite trail but I definitely would not run it alone, (or any trail for that matter), but you could probably find someone in town that would run it with you. We started the trail at 8:00 and finished at 5:00 but we could have easily finished by 4:00. We took an extended break on the cliff view at the end and the only problem we had was one flat tire. This year when we ran it, three different people broke axles less than half way through but I suspect they had pre-fatigue. That being said, I don’t think Cliffhanger is any more of an axle breaker than some of the other trails you have listed such as Gold bar or Poison Spike.

Rusty Nail/Golden Spike are hard and In some ways have a Pritchett Canyon type feel. IMO, someone should be with you for sure. Certainly doable but lots of potential for breakage and a ways out from town. The end of Rusty Nail has a lot of off-camber ledges that challenge your nerve more than your equipment.

Keep us posted for sure. I suspect I will be in Moab at least one more time this year.

Edited by jpet - 31 May 2019 at 8:02am
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 12:32pm
Thank you Stan, Jim and Jeff!  Looks like a lot of good advice here!  I'll take a closer look when I get a little more time, and I'm sure I'll have more questions.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 3:07pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 6:08pm
So it sounds like Hell's Revenge, Moab Rim and Poison Spider belong on the "yes" list.  Metal Masher probably as well.

Kane Creek and Golden Spike sound like they might be a little more than I should try to bite off on my first trip, especially alone.

I'll have to look up Fins & Things and Hey Joe Canyon that Jim mentioned.  I've heard of both, but don't have a good read on how difficult they might be.

Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

It might be kinda hot in September though. Last year in August we ran it. We started about 8:00 in the morning to beat the heat and we were in the Moab Diner by noon. By the time we finished, the temp was 105.

A Google search gave average temps of ~83 high and 52 low for mid Sep.  Yeah, I realize those are averages and it could be significantly different.  I'll run that by my wife, but that timing works out well for us.  And we've done Black Hills trips with every day over 100 before.  Not our first choice, but survivable.

Cliffhanger might be my favorite trail but I definitely would not run it alone, (or any trail for that matter), but you could probably find someone in town that would run it with you. We started the trail at 8:00 and finished at 5:00 but we could have easily finished by 4:00. We took an extended break on the cliff view at the end and the only problem we had was one flat tire. This year when we ran it, three different people broke axles less than half way through but I suspect they had pre-fatigue. That being said, I don’t think Cliffhanger is any more of an axle breaker than some of the other trails you have listed such as Gold bar or Poison Spike. 

I'm not so worried about breakage on Cliffhanger.  Sure, it's always a possibility, but from what I've seen in the videos, like you are saying it doesn't seem like it would be one of the worst trails for it.  My biggest concern with it is the Cliffhanger obstacle.  I'm sure I'd do it if I were in a group that knew what they were doing.  But I know my wife would NOT enjoy that section of trail.  And watching videos I don't see the line for my big fat Bronco.  I've watched skinny flatfenders on it, and big fat JKs with huge tires and flexy suspensions.  But nothing too close to mine.  Not saying I think I couldn't do it, I just know I shouldn't when I'd be doing my own spotting and my wife would be telling me not to!

Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Jpet and I always stay here BECAUSE it is in town. We tent camp so it’s a little different. They have nice showers there and we take a lot if meals across the street at the Moab Inn. There are trees there, but the camp spots are close together so if pretty close  neighbors bugs you you won’t like it. Being right in town makes lots of things handy, like restaurants and souvenir shops.

Sounds like Canyonlands RV is probably the way we'll go then.  I still need to run it by my wife, but the Google scouting made it look like probably the best choice for us.  And with Jeff's comments about the temperature, having some shade (and ice cream shops nearby!) will probably be worth a lot!

Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Just walking around town is a pretty touristy thing to do. There a fun quirky shops and restaurants.  If you take a ride up into Arches National Park (15 minutes north if town, but the wait at the gate can be killer on a busy day) and don’t mind hiking a bit, go check out Delicate Arch. Lots if other arches and sites within walking distance if the road in the park and plenty to see without getting out of the seat and the air conditioning.
Outside the park (so not so many people) the short hike to Corona Arch is pretty easy and the arch is amazing. 
Dead Horse Point State Park is about an hour out of town. Great views of the Colorado River goosenecks and a dark zone if you want to see the night sky without light pollution. Sunsets there are legendary.

I'm sure we'll hit the town on the 'wheeling days (one of the reasons we'd want to be back at camp for dinner is to be able to wander around town in the evening).

So Arches National Park and Corona Arch sound like good suggestions for a non-wheeling day.  Any others we should throw in the mix?

And we'll be in the Bronco on this day too, rather than packing up camp to drive the motorhome.  So air conditioning won't be tempting us to stay in the vehicle!

I'll definitely pick that up.  Thanks!

Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 7:17pm
canyon land campground is where we stayed.  It was clean and the staff friendly. 

There is/was a trail that we took that went over to the Arches. Neat area to check out.

If you have time, a rafting trip is great.  

Mid September normally is OK for weather.  Just go prepared for snow, wind, rain, or heat, LOL, seen it all  around there.  

Do try and take all trails with two other rigs.   It sucks to break down or ? without friends to help out.

Bottom line----ENJOY!!!

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2019 at 2:30am
To be clear, that was the first week of August when it was 105 degrees. We did Pritchett in middle September. It wasn’t as hot but it got kinda hot in the afternoon. Have plenty of water.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2019 at 2:40am

.... but I definitely would not run it alone, (or any trail for that matter)....

Originally posted by jeepsterjim jeepsterjim wrote:

....  Do try and take all trails with two other rigs.   It sucks to break down or ? without friends to help out....

I know I should never go 'wheeling alone, but that's just not how it works out for me.  I don't have any friends that 'wheel.  And while my younger son is getting pretty good at both driving and spotting, he doesn't have his own rig (and I only have the one) so I'm still "alone" when he comes.

So almost all of my 'wheeling over the years has been solo.  I try to play it smart, building my rig with stout axles and a pretty mild engine.  And driving with the definite goal of living to fight another day, with a soft right foot and keeping the obstacles on the mild side.  So far I've been successful (or at least lucky).

I'd love to get together with a group of 'wheelers and run some trails some time.  Hopefully with some of you!  But this summer we're going on a vacation with my extended family (parents, siblings and all of the kids).  A month or so after that, this trip will be a vacation for just my wife and me.  And she wouldn't consider meeting up with a bunch of other people the kind of wind-down she's likely to need after spending a week with all of her in-laws!
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2019 at 2:42am

To be clear, that was the first week of August when it was 105 degrees. We did Pritchett in middle September. It wasn’t as hot but it got kinda hot in the afternoon. Have plenty of water.

Yeah, we're pushing this back about as much as we can to get the best chance possible for decent weather.  And a good thing about having such a big trail vehicle is that it's easy to carry plenty!  We've even got an electric cooler so the water will be cold!
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Rock Cred View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rock Cred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2019 at 2:43am
We live in Monticello, Utah, about an hour south of Moab.  We have an Airbnb, The Coffee Pot Cottage here in Monticello.  We just finished guiding a group over Hell's Revenge.  The video will be posted on YouTube within the next couple of weeks, search for Rock Cred.  If you will be travelling alone, message us and we may be able to accompany you if you find yourself in a pickle, depending on schedule.  Hell's Revenge is a must.  You can cover the trail in a short amount of time but we feel to fully appreciate the trail, take your time and make a day of it.  So many people try to fill their vacation with as much as possible that they miss  the reason for the vacation in the first place.  We feel you would get more out of your vacation by taking your time and going over four trails rather than trying to cover eight.  If you have any questions or would like more information, we will do our best to provide.  This is an amazing place and you will certainly enjoy yourselves.  
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2019 at 3:10am
I really like the town of Moab. They have pretty much everything. All different kinds of restaurants, at least three auto parts stores, grocery store, etc. you can fill up your propane bottles at the camp site and the camp site has WiFi. I’m not always so prepared when I take off but usually the thing I forget to bring is within walking distance. I even bought my truck there .... now I got Moab on my mind .... let’s keep this thread rolling!!

I’m not a big Fins & Things guy. I like the trail for sure, but to me, it is the generic version of Hell’s Revenge, I.e, if I’m headed that way, I might as well do HR. That’s a personal feeling that most probably don’t agree with.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2019 at 5:55pm
Just got back from our Moab trip with Stan and 3A Steve.   Hell's Revenge was amazing and I considered running it again on the day we left (but didn't).  I bypassed the obstacles.  Poison Spider was harder for me but I would run it again in a stocker.  I would not run Poison Spider alone though, especially in a stocker. Stan showed us two other great trails: Porcupine Rim is fun and more typical of the Montana trails I grew up with.  It would be a great "shakedown trail" if your wife isn't used to wheeling.  The other was a combo day of Gemini Bridges and the Shafer Switchbacks / Potash Road.  Easy road but you won't soon forget those incredible views!

I got a copy of the book Stan suggests.  It's very helpful - strongly recommend it.

I had no idea how cool Moab is for outdoor activities.  Bring your mountain bikes if you have them and give Slickrock Trail a go.  It meanders along Hell's Revenge.  I tried it on our last day - "tried" is the operative word here.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2019 at 5:59pm
A Moab parts stores shout-out:  I had some trouble with my WO carb's needle and seat.  The Carquest parts store had a replacement needle/seat kit on the shelf. 

I suppose if any small town will have vintage Willys jeep parts in stock, it would be Moab.  I was very grateful.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2019 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by Rock Cred Rock Cred wrote:

....  If you will be travelling alone, message us and we may be able to accompany you if you find yourself in a pickle, depending on schedule.
I really appreciate the offer, but we'll be traveling alone this trip.  Not that we won't say "Hi!" if we run into anyone, but at least on this trip the point is for my wife and me to spend time together, not for me to meet up with "virtual friends".

Originally posted by Rock Cred Rock Cred wrote:

.... but we feel to fully appreciate the trail, take your time and make a day of it.  So many people try to fill their vacation with as much as possible that they miss  the reason for the vacation in the first place.  We feel you would get more out of your vacation by taking your time and going over four trails rather than trying to cover eight....
We're all over that!  We've ended up having a few marathon days over the years.  While that can be a fun challenge with the right group of people, it's usually a lot more fun to just keep it fun (duh!!)  So while I'd like to be going out with eight or so possible trails, the plan would more be to do one a day and only start up a second trail if we happened to finish up early (or get turned back by the gatekeeper!)

Originally posted by tamnalan tamnalan wrote:

....  Poison Spider was harder for me but I would run it again in a stocker.  I would not run Poison Spider alone though, especially in a stocker. Stan showed us two other great trails: Porcupine Rim is fun and more typical of the Montana trails I grew up with.  It would be a great "shakedown trail" if your wife isn't used to wheeling.
I'm not running a stocker, I've got two lockers, 33" tires, good crawl gears and a winch.  And my wife has been 'wheeling with me for 26 years, over some fairly serious trails.  Last year we were in the Ouray area and did Black Bear and Poughkeepsie among others (I wrote up a trip report on that here).  But she always gets out and takes pictures on the scarier sections.  (I know she'd opt to photograph the Escalator and I don't think she'd appreciate walking all the way it!).  I pretty well know my limitations and I feel no shame in taking bypasses or turning around when we come up on something that I'm not confident we can do safely.  But we do like at least somewhat of a 'wheeling challenge.  So we are looking for trails that will push us a little.

The other was a combo day of Gemini Bridges and the Shafer Switchbacks / Potash Road.  Easy road but you won't soon forget those incredible views!
I saw Stan's report on that trip.  I'll be keeping that in mind too, maybe not as a plan A, but it's always good to have a plan B.

I had no idea how cool Moab is for outdoor activities.  Bring your mountain bikes if you have them and give Slickrock Trail a go.  It meanders along Hell's Revenge.  I tried it on our last day - "tried" is the operative word here.
We're not mountain bikers.  I hope we can do a little hiking, but going from wherever we can get the Bronco to wherever we can get a better view will probably be the extent of it.  (My wife frequently points out that she got hooked on fourwheeling when she realized I could driver her to the top of the mountain instead of making her walk up it!)

A Moab parts stores shout-out:  I had some trouble with my WO carb's needle and seat.  The Carquest parts store had a replacement needle/seat kit on the shelf. 

I suppose if any small town will have vintage Willys jeep parts in stock, it would be Moab.  I was very grateful.
True story:  On the second 'wheeling trip my wife was on we also had our 2 year old son along.  We drove my old CJ5 out to Colorado.  When I rejetted the carb after we were there I ended up with a fuel leak.  A stop at a NAPA provided the O-ring I had torn.  After a few more stops for oil, power steering fluid and whatever else, for the rest of the trip my 2 year old was shouting out "There's a NAPA!" every time one came in view.  In fact, he kept doing that for the rest of the summer!
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
outlw21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlw21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2019 at 9:03pm
Been a while since I was in Moab. Grand View Overlook in the island in the sky section of Canyonlands NP has gorgeous sunsets. The Moab Information Center in the middle of town has a lot of info. I picked up brochures on rock art, movie locations and dinosaurs that are really great.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2019 at 9:33pm
There is also Moabs Uranium Mining History to look into. It was once one of the fastest growing places in the USA.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>