Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Will people help me plan a Moab trip?  And report!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will people help me plan a Moab trip? And report!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2019 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

There is also Moabs Uranium Mining History to look into. It was once one of the fastest growing glowing places in the USA.

There.  Fixed it.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2019 at 2:26am
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
GJCJs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GJCJs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2019 at 3:02am
Now that was clever! Well done sir!ClapClap
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

There is also Moabs Uranium Mining History to look into. It was once one of the fastest growing glowing places in the USA.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2019 at 2:37am
I've got a couple more trails to ask people's thoughts on.

Top of the World
This sounds like a mild to moderate trail, with the views being the big draw, and the longish drive from town being the big down side.  Does it seem like my internet scouting is accurate?  Anything anyone would add?

Behind the Rocks
This one looks like it might be above my pay grade.  Any other comments on it?
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2019 at 4:44am
Both of these trails are a ways out of town. TOTW is like 40 out. I like to do it first thing before I get to Moab. Both times, I stopped and spent the night in Grand Junction. Then the next morning, came into Utah, unloaded at the trail head, did the trail, loaded back up, and then finished the trek to Moab. It is an in and out trail. There are some very cool looking rock formations at the beginning of the trail. Lots of shapes and colors. Once you get on the actual TOTW trail, it has some small challenges that look harder than they really are. but it’s relatively easy. The terrain is like Porcupine Rim or Strike Ravine. One of our vehicles was open diff. The payoff is definitely at the end. That view is stunning and the best cliff overlook I have been to in Moab. Better than Cliffhanger, Moab Rim, or other IMO. Looking straight down is several hundred feet with some towers down below. Looking straight ahead are the La Sal mountains. Both times I’ve been there they have been covered with snow. The view to the right is really amazing. Mesas, towers, several rows. It’s very “dimensional’” and can’t be captured with a camera. And of course, the iconic shot of your Jeep, ... or Bronco, out on the ledge:

To take this shot, the camera man has to stand out on another ledge to the right. Don’t have the camera man too far out on the ledge or the shot isn’t as good because it’s hard to see the overhang.

.... see what I mean?

Behind the Rocks is on the south side of town and 10 - 15 miles out. It is as easy or hard as you make it. There are three main obstacles, “High Dive”, and “Up-chuck”, have bypasses. Once you get past them, you run into a trail network where you can either go back to town, or go on to “White Knuckle”. I’m not sure if there is a bypass for white knuckle. If you go that far, it is a lengthy drive to get back to the main road which you have to drive like 8 miles to get back to town. I’d recommend having a map and or gps because there are some intersecting trails and it’s not always clear which way to go but I think once you get past white knuckle, if you keep choosing the southern most road, you will make it back to the highway. The exit to Pritchett Canyon is in that area too. And the “Picture Arch” is also out there:

CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2019 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Both of these trails are a ways out of town. TOTW is like 40 out....

One of the good things about a Bronco vs. a CJ (and there are definitely the other kind!) is that it's really good on the highway.  I'd actually consider driving it to Moab (not that I actually will...) so 40 miles isn't that big a deal other than the time required (and I imagine the scenery on that 40 miles would help pass the time too).  And your description following makes it sound like this one might need to be on the "yes" list (and is at least a very solid "maybe").  But I don't know that I could get that picture, at least with my wife along!  I think she might prefer to skip that opportunity!

Behind the Rocks is on the south side of town and 10 - 15 miles out. It is as easy or hard as you make it. There are three main obstacles, “High Dive”, and “Up-chuck”, have bypasses. Once you get past them, you run into a trail network where you can either go back to town, or go on to “White Knuckle”. I’m not sure if there is a bypass for white knuckle. If you go that far, it is a lengthy drive to get back to the main road which you have to drive like 8 miles to get back to town.

So "White Knuckle" is the third of the three main obstacles?  "High-Dive" is the main one I'd seen and I knew that I wasn't doing that one!  So if there are bypasses (especially for that) I'm a lot less concerned.  And I can always turn around if I do get to one that I won't do and can't get around.  So it seems like this could be another "maybe."

I’d recommend having a map and or gps because there are some intersecting trails and it’s not always clear which way to go but I think once you get past white knuckle, if you keep choosing the southern most road, you will make it back to the highway. The exit to Pritchett Canyon is in that area too. And the “Picture Arch” is also out there:

I have a mapping GPS. and have already downloaded a map with the Moab trails.  I'll have "Stan's book" pretty soon, and I would plan to buy a good map of the area as well before heading out.  So I should be pretty well covered there!

And "Picture Arch" might push this one closer to the "yes" list!

Thanks!!!
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2019 at 4:16pm
The 40 mile drive from Moab to the TOTW trail head is amazing!! You have huge cliffs on one side and the Colorado River on the other side!! The road also goes past the Fischer Towers. I think it is amazing to see the huge rock pieces that have broken off the cliffs and landed feet from the road!!

BTR:

You can bypass “High Dive” and still do “Up-Chuck”. Billy and I did “Up-Chuck”. We along with Ward, passed on High Dive. Spent some time contemplating it though. That is on my to-do list .... probably this year.

“White Knuckle is not as hard as it looks IMO. One thing about it, once you start the obstacle you are guaranteed to get down it! . Billy and I did it with 80” wheelbase and no strap so..... Gravity locker worked awesome!

Here is our video. The guy in the red and black shirt is John Currie.

I think the arch is actually called “Picture Frame Arch”. Lots of cool stuff in that area.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2019 at 6:11pm

The 40 mile drive from Moab to the TOTW trail head is amazing!! You have huge cliffs on one side and the Colorado River on the other side!! The road also goes past the Fischer Towers. I think it is amazing to see the huge rock pieces that have broken off the cliffs and landed feet from the road!!

I think Top of the World needs to make my "A" list.  I might end up with too many A list trails and we might need to pick and choose a bit when we're out there.  But you're selling it pretty well!

You can bypass “High Dive” and still do “Up-Chuck”. Billy and I did “Up-Chuck”. We along with Ward, passed on High Dive. Spent some time contemplating it though. That is on my to-do list .... probably this year.

“White Knuckle is not as hard as it looks IMO. One thing about it, once you start the obstacle you are guaranteed to get down it! . Billy and I did it with 80” wheelbase and no strap so..... Gravity locker worked awesome!

Here is our video. The guy in the red and black shirt is John Currie.

I'd seen that video when you posted it, but hadn't connected it to this trail yet.  Yeah, it definitely looks doable.  But I know I won't be doing it on this trip, at least not if I want to sleep inside the motorhome!

And if "Up-Chuck" is the climb immediately after "High Dive", I'm pretty sure that will be a hard pass on this trip as well.

But overall Behind the Rocks seems like a "maybe" trail for this trip, one to throw in if we're not that far from it and have some time available.

And thanks again!  This is all great!
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2019 at 2:11am
It's a little more official now, we have out campground reservations!  After spending a couple nights at the Grand Canyon we'll arrive in Moab on September 16 (too late in the day to do much but set up camp) and then spend 6 nights at Canyonlands RV park.  That'll give us Sep 17 - 21 for four days of 'wheeling and one full day of being tourists.

Thanks everyone for the help so far, and for the additional help that I'm sure I'll be getting!
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2019 at 4:19pm
   Bob !

Rock Cred is spot-on with his suggestion.   Kick-back some. And I think you did mention you were planning two-days to act like a Tourist.   

I will probably never drag my jeep to Moab, but there may be a remote possibility of tackling the Rubicon jeep trail, well, maybe not _ _ _ . :)

I am like you in that I jeeped alone with wife and kids way back when.
Also, too, I carried umpteen amounts of tools and parts, including spare battery in a boat-box and yes, welding rod.   Hmm, no cordless grinders tho.

September is quickly approaching, and you'll be-there before you know it.

( my wife and I, 'empty-nesters' head to the lake July 26 for a week in the dirt to pretend to be Tourists ). We'll have no escape-vehicle, so it will force us to remain stationary for a week of De-Stressing. :)

Have FUN    ps _ _ don't forget mechanic's wire.

Len

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2019 at 5:45pm
Yeah, it's getting closer!  I'm really not focusing on it too much right now.  Along the same likes of kicking back to enjoy the vacation, we also want to enjoy this summer too!  We have two vacations planned between now and the Moab trip (a 3-day weekend to a state park with some friends and a week on an Alaska cruise with my 80+ year old parents, both of my siblings and their spouses and all of my parents grandkids).  I especially don't want to give that cruise with my parents short shrift!  Plus there's still this summer to enjoy!

But we've got the campground reservations and a framework for how we'll fill the time.  I don't expect to get any more serious about specific plans until after the cruise.  But I sure don't mind thinking about it a little more if anyone else has any thoughts!
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2019 at 12:17am
"empty nesters" he says! Up in Canada we call ourselves "dinks"! " Dual income no kids". LOLThumbs Up
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2019 at 12:26am
I've heard that term, but it doesn't apply to us.  My wife is a retired stay-home mom.  Now she volunteers at a local charity.  So we're single income no kids.  Wait, "sink" doesn't seem so flattering.  Maybe we should go with one income no kids.  No, "oink" seems worse.  I guess we'll stay with "empty nesters!"
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2019 at 3:54am
My wife and I just got back today from the Moab trip you all helped us plan.  It was great!  Lesley (my wife) wonders why we've been stopping in Colorado all these years and asked if we can go back to Moab next year!  (The answers are that it's really hot in Moab in the summer when we had to take vacations around school schedules, and yes, we can go back!).

I'm still unpacking and the Bronco is still hooked to the motorhome.  Plus for some reason people seem to think that I ought to go back to work now.  So I'll add trail reports as I have time, hopefully one a day or so, sort of like it was happening in real time!  But here I thought I'd report on some of the peripherals.

We started the trip visiting the Grand Canyon (also a first for both of us).  We hiked down Bright Angel trail and hiked all the way to the Colorado river!  In the picture below the red arrow points to a part of Bright Angel Trail, from very near the top.  The Colorado River is a thousand feet or so farther below where the black arrow is pointing.  Of course, several hundred miles away from the Grand Canyon, the Colorado River is also about a 25 foot "hike" down from highway 279, just outside of Moab.  But if I leave that fact out, people might think we actually hiked all the way down Bright Angel to the Colorado River, while all I said was that we hiked down Bright Angel Trail AND that we hiked all the way down to the Colorado River.  I didn't say we did them in the same state!

The Grand Canyon was cool, but the scenery around Moab was probably more impressive (somehow it sounds almost sacrilegious saying that, so maybe don't tell anyone I said it).

It was also fun to see this guy stroll through our campsite at the Grand Canyon!

But on to the point of this trip!  We had driven through Moab on the way to the Grand Canyon, so we had a sneak peak, but on Monday Sep 16 we got back, this time to say for about a week.  As discussed earlier in this thread, we stayed at Canyonlands RV Resort and Campground, right in Moab.  That worked out great, and I'm sure we'll be going back to the same campground.  Full disclosure for others thinking about a similar trip, there were a couple of negatives with the campground.  One was the tight quarters when it came to driving an RV through.  Not at all overwhelming for us, and won't keep us away.  But I thought it worth mentioning if others have bigger rigs. The other "negative" was peculiar to the week we were there.  Grand County High School is right behind the campground, and homecoming was last Friday.  So the pep band was practicing all week.  At 6:30 AM!  Oh well, getting an early start every day isn't so bad!  And the Red Devils won, 33-6.  So it was all good!

Otherwise, as Stan noted, the sites are small, but we had plenty of room in ours for the motorhome, Bronco and to sit at the picnic table.  The bathrooms and showers were clean, and we really enjoyed soaking in the pool when we got off the trails!  We didn't take advantage of the restaurants in town (we ate all of our meals in the campsite).  But we did walk through town every evening.  Mostly we walked through the shops, but we also walked to NAPA for to replace a blown fuse and a lost tire valve cap.  Plus we had to stop at the Moab Diner every night for some ice cream!

More to come...
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2019 at 4:24am
Thanks for the update and looking forward to hearing more.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2019 at 1:38pm
Looks like a great trip. I'd love to get out there one day with the Willys. Does that shirt say "If she's a Jeeper, she's a keeper? I need one of those. One place we stayed that we really liked when we went to CO a few years ago was the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Your pic reminds me of being there. We had mule deer hanging out in our camping spot regularly.
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2019 at 5:54pm
Yes, that's the shirt!  I currently drive a Ford Bronco, but my son found this shirt somewhere and gave it to me after Lesley got a Jeep Renegade.  I posted the picture below before in another thread, showing that shirt and one Lesley made for herself (she was wearing this shirt again the day she took that picture of me in front of the diner).

The bull elk was in the campground in the Grand Canyon.  We also saw several cows as well as a mule deer buck and his harem in the campground.  The funniest thing about the bull was that there was a leaky water spigot in one campsite.  Someone was often there getting a drink, and once it was that bull elk.  As he drank his antlers were less than a foot from the door of the pickup parked in that spot, and when he'd shake his head he often missed the door, mirror or window by only an inch or so!  The people from that site did get pictures of the elk there to show the camper place they rented it from.  It reminded me of the Farmer's Insurance commercials:  We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two!

Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2019 at 2:34am
Tuesday, Sep 17 - Hell's Revenge

On Monday night Lesley asked me what trail we were going to start with.  I told her "Hell's Revenge" so she looked it up in "Stan's Book" (https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/will-people-help-me-plan-a-moab-trip-and-report_topic44840_post450196.html#450196).  She freaked out a little when the book listed it as a "difficult" trail, but eventually accepted my explanation that the book was aimed as a broad audience and it wasn't going to be difficult for us (at least not in a bad way!).  So on Tuesday, with significant trepidation on Lesley's part, we headed for Hell's Revenge.

Thanks to Stan and Jeff who "insisted" that we hit Hell's Revenge.  This ended up being both Lesley's and my favorite trail of the trip!  The terrain is so unlike anything we typically see.  And as Stan said, experiencing the traction you get on slickrock is amazing!  Throughout the week there were several places that I couldn't walk on, but the Bronco could just putt up or down easily!  It took a few of these for the butterflies to settle down to the point where it was just fun, but a few butterflies are fun too!  There were a few places that made me pick a line carefully, but nothing I would consider difficult for me or my vehicle (as I predicted, we skipped Hell's Gate, the Escalator and all of the hot tubs).  Overall we spent about 5 hours on the trail, including time for lunch, watching a few others play, and taking 187 pictures!  We ran into three other groups of Jeep-sized vehicles, one solo, two groups of side-by-sides and two different solo side-by-sides.  So not at all busy, but not desolate either.

Enough of listening to me talk.  Time for some of those 187 pictures!

This fin is right near the start of the trail, giving you a quick intro to what's different about 'wheeling in Moab!

Again near the start of the trail.  This was the only place I needed to engage my front locker (the Detroit in the rear is always working of course).  I couldn't stay to the right of the center ditch (Broncos are too wide) and I don't have enough flex to keep enough tires planted to crawl this without the front locker.  By the way, a little while later we caught up with the Jeeps you see behind me here (I let them pass as soon as I got to a wide spot).  One had forgotten to unlock his front diff and broke a Dana 60 U-joint with the good traction you get on slickrock.  That made me decide I wasn't going to use my front locker except when I needed to, which ended up being pretty rarely.

Another fun section, showing the "amazing" flex of a Bronco front axle!

We got to watch some "big dogs" play on Hell's Gate.  Here's the closest thing we saw to a flatfender the entire week (unless you count the one up on the sign pole at the Expedition Lodge!)

Along with the less-than-stellar flex, a down-side to Broncos off-road is the huge flat hood.  This is all you can see out of the windshield pretty frequently on this trail!

I've been a little concerned about my front overhang since I added the receiver-mount winch.  I guess I don't need to worry so much!  I was sure I was going to stuff it at the bottom of this hill and it looks like I've got about 10" of clearance still.

We also got to watch some of the big dogs on Escalator.  We didn't see this guy start up, but their guide was explaining that he had gone too far left in that hole and slid his right tires to the bottom.  That stuffed his right rear corner into the hole so he couldn't back up, and when he went forward his left front reached for the sky (the Jeep wave?).  We got there just as they were rigging the winch line to hold his front end down.

After his buddy stayed too far left, this guy wasn't going to make that mistake!  He stayed too far right and flopped it on its left side!  He was able to put it in reverse and back out of this, flopping back onto all fours.  He then motored up pretty easily.  But this cemented the idea that we weren't doing Escalator on this trip!

And finally, one of the solo side-by-sides came up.  He didn't even stop to talk, but just headed up.  He had to back up once or twice to get the right line in the hole, but made Escalator look easy when the really well-built Jeeps were struggling.  I guess size ain't everything!

Anyway, that was Hell's Revenge!  Thanks for reading, and there's more to come!

Edited by Nothing Special - 25 Sep. 2019 at 2:54am
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>