Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Willys Jeep Disk Conversion for $250

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 17>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2019 at 3:56pm
If you don't want to cut  our own and are doing the Geo Tracker version, Brennan Metcalf sells them all ready to go.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2019 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

If you don't want to cut  our own and are doing the Geo Tracker version, Brennan Metcalf sells them all ready to go.

I recently received 4 brackets from Brennan.  Quality is good. They came with the spacers and bolts.  Almost a plug&play. No regrets paying for them.

Jim
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
TXtea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXtea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2019 at 5:25pm
I've got an extra set of brackets made out of 1/2" steel that I'm willing to let go for $75.  No issues mounting them on my Willys.  I got two sets made when I had mine cut because I wanted to make sure I got the most for the minimum price at the water jet.  So I'm not planning on using these and I think they might fit inside a USPS flat rate box, so I might be able to say that cost includes shipping.  Shoot me a message if you're interested.
Ryan
'48 CJ2A SN: 161039
SteveBonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveBonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2019 at 5:41pm
I used 3/8 plates.  They worked fine but need spacers.  I meant to have the machine shop update to 1/2" but I was too late, he had already cut in 3/8".   I would use 1/2" next time just to eliminate the need for spacers.
Steve
47 CJ2A
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2019 at 1:15am
Welcome to the page, killowatt!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
killowatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killowatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2019 at 2:25am
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I'll post some progress pics once all the parts get here. 
kchildress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kchildress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2019 at 8:02pm
Sorry if I missed this somewhere but I'm not clear on what part of the knuckles need grinding with the Chevy parts.  Any photos or can someone mark up something I can see?

Secondly, any issues using the Chevy kit on Dana 41's?

Thanks,

Kevin

'46 2A #19122, AKA Flattie
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2019 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by kchildress kchildress wrote:

Sorry if I missed this somewhere but I'm not clear on what part of the knuckles need grinding with the Chevy parts.  Any photos or can someone mark up something I can see?
Imagine the disc brake kit is installed, when the caliper moves towards the rotor (after it wears in) the caliper would just barely hit the knuckle. You have to grind enough that it can slide past.

I haven't had any issues with the Chevy kit on the front axle. I'm installing it on a Dana 41 in the next week or so, and can update the post with parts and etc.
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2019 at 3:57am
Originally posted by kchildress kchildress wrote:

Thanks,

Kevin

Here’s where to grind.  More pics of this on page 4 of this thread.

The GM calipers work great on the D41.  Installation was easier than the front.  More pics on page 2 of this thread.  Also, I initially installed the 2 psi residual valve, but subsequently did away with them. No issues at all without them.  I highly recommend disc brakes whether it’s the Geo version or the big GM version.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2019 at 4:32am
Did you use Herm's master cylinder? Why did you remove the 2 lb. valve? Kept the front valve? Asking as I may tackle the rears this weekend.
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2019 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by Nick_ Nick_ wrote:

Did you use Herm's master cylinder? Why did you remove the 2 lb. valve? Kept the front valve? Asking as I may tackle the rears this weekend.

I used a dual reservoir Wilwood master cylinder, mounted in the original frame location.  I mounted  the reservoirs on firewall.  

I removed both residual valves chasing down brake lock-up problems.  Turned out my problem was too long of a brake rod and not enough pedal play.  Once everything warmed up and expanded, the brakes locked up.  I shortened the rod and they work perfect.  Wilwood also told me I only needed the residual valves if my master cylinder was lower than my calipers.  Since my reservoirs are remote and mounted as the highest point in the system, I really don’t need them.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
andyc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2019 at 1:57pm
Can you send me the pattern? 
Email
achamb1970@gmail.com

I’m excited to try this conversion.
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2020 at 11:57pm
I just finished a mega-update to the first post. Since this thread really took off, I've seen it linked to other sites and wanted to provide as much detailed, accurate information as possible. Thanks to everyone who helped problem solve piecing the Chevy kit together, and for Metcalf/Stev for providing their own kits.

Here's the video from the first post.

tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2020 at 12:46am
Thank you Nick!!

I want to do this conversion and will rely heavily on the great info here.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2020 at 2:12pm
For those of you who are interested, if you happen to find some old 15" x 8" Jackman wheels, they will fit over the K10 Chevy brake calipers.  I thought I would share for the benefit of you all.  See below.

TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2020 at 4:01pm
I have a stupid question just out of curiosity, is it structured in a way that the rotor can be removed without the hub being taken apart? Sorry if it has been answered previously. 
-Tate 
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2020 at 4:49pm
I think so, Tate.  The rotor slips over the hub, before the caliper is bolted on.

Brennan Metcalf has some good pics for the Tracker version and they show that.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2020 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by TateC TateC wrote:

I have a stupid question just out of curiosity, is it structured in a way that the rotor can be removed without the hub being taken apart? Sorry if it has been answered previously. 
-Tate 

That's the downside to the Chevy conversion. The wheel studs press into the rotors and then the hub, making them a married unit. Metcalf's tracker conversion allows the rotors to slide over the wheel studs like a modern car.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 17>