Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Willys Jeep Disk Conversion for $250

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 17>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2020 at 10:48pm
I'm in the middle of a Geo-Tracker conversion using Brennans plates. So far all is going good. The only metal work I've had to do is drill the grease relief hole in the rear plate once I determined the position, "O'clock" I was going to use. The 1/4" plates with spacers work out well, They allow the use of the stock wheel studs in the front, and provide plenty of knuckle bolt clearance.

BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
Daveyj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveyj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2020 at 1:20am
I’ve been playing around with rear discs on my CJ3B, some might find it interesting. 
2013 and up Ford Fusion callipers with the electric parking brake 
Rotors are the tracker/ sidekick ones, brake lines are 92 s-10 2wd. 
Stock master cylinder so far.  Unfortunately, you’ll need to run spacers to clear stock rims. I had a set of aftermarket ones set up, but the deal didn’t work out. 

willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2020 at 3:40am
Just confirming.   the spacers are needed for the 15 rims but not the 16 inch rims?
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2020 at 4:00am
Yes that was my experience. 
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2020 at 7:00am
Originally posted by Daveyj Daveyj wrote:

I’ve been playing around with rear discs on my CJ3B, some might find it interesting. 
2013 and up Ford Fusion callipers with the electric parking brake 
Rotors are the tracker/ sidekick ones, brake lines are 92 s-10 2wd. 
Stock master cylinder so far.  Unfortunately, you’ll need to run spacers to clear stock rims. I had a set of aftermarket ones set up, but the deal didn’t work out. 

What brand and size tires are you running?   They look good.
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
Daveyj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveyj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2020 at 11:17pm
Sent you a message, but the tires are from here: http://unclewiener.com/product/suretrac-mt200-wide-climber-tires/

Price is right, and since I only put about 5k kms on my Jeep each year I imagine they will be fine for a while. Not sure if I’d run them on a daily. Not too noisy, and ok on ice. 
Daveyj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveyj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2020 at 4:35am
Originally posted by willys54wagon willys54wagon wrote:

Just confirming.   the spacers are needed for the 15 rims but not the 16 inch rims?
For the Fusion brakes or the geo? Fusion will need spacers with 16” rims as well. 
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2020 at 5:33am
Originally posted by Daveyj Daveyj wrote:

Sent you a message, but the tires are from here: http://unclewiener.com/product/suretrac-mt200-wide-climber-tires/

Price is right, and since I only put about 5k kms on my Jeep each year I imagine they will be fine for a while. Not sure if I’d run them on a daily. Not too noisy, and ok on ice. 

thanks for the link....looks like the style you have is no longer available.  what size tire and wheel did you use?
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
Daveyj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveyj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2020 at 2:21pm
You know, I’m not sure what they are called, sort off a miss matched set. 16x6, two have a riveted Center, two are welded. I’ll take a picture when I get off work

Edit:  I originally was going to get the all terrain tires, but they had the mud terrain ones, they weren’t listed on the website but had them in store. 
BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2020 at 3:05am
I finished installing my Geo-Tracker based disc brake conversion on Sunday. No grinding required, and no spacers required with my 16" rims, however, I've tried two different types of 15" wheels and they both would need a spacer to clear the calipers. From my limited looking around for useable 15" rims I've found that the offsets are all over the place. You can pick up two used steel wheels that look identical, but they may have 1" difference in offset. I think I'm going to stay with 16"s
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2020 at 3:18pm
I just bought Tracker plates last night and bought the calipers, rotors, pads, and s-10 hoses this morning from Rock Auto.  Total investment so far is $462.88 for both axles.  Will still need banjo bolts and longer wheel studs.  I'm considering adding a 1/4" spacer even though i'm running 16" factory wheels.  I hope the extra clearance will help on my rear inner wheel well rubbing.

For those of you who have done the tracker kit on all 4 wheels.  Will I need residual valves and proportioning valves?  Also, will it be ok to temporarily run the stock master cylinder?  
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2020 at 4:02pm
I run the GM discs on all 4 wheels without residual valves and have for 5 years now.  I run a 1” Wilwood dual reservoir master cylinder, but I bet the original would work also.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Daveyj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveyj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2020 at 9:31pm
Currently using stock MC with four wheel discs, no proportioning valve or residual valve. I did punch a hole in the rubber flap of the stock residual valve, I didn’t want to just pull it out in case it was necessary as a spacer. Rear brakes lock up fractionally sooner than the front, only really noticeable on ice so far. Once we thaw out I’ll try it on gravel.   
Jerkzack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerkzack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2020 at 4:11am
I'm in the midst of this conversion using GM parts and have run into a couple issues. For parts, I'm using:
-1980 Chev k10 Brackets and calipers--used. Not sure if it's a Dana 44 or corporate 10 bolt but according to Dirt Everyday, knuckle parts are all interchangeable between the two. 
-raybestos 3550r rotors

First issue, Caliper contacts knuckle fill plug

Second issue, once Rotors and hubs are on, there is not enough space between rotor and Caliper bracket to fit the pad. 

Can anyone suggest where I might be going wrong? Pics to follow. 

1947 CJ2a
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2020 at 4:20am
Originally posted by Jerkzack Jerkzack wrote:

I'm in the midst of this conversion using GM parts and have run into a couple issues. 

Do you have better pics of the caliper brackets? Do they look like the ones in my video linked on the first post?
Jerkzack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerkzack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2020 at 4:45am
Here's one! 
1947 CJ2a
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2020 at 4:53am
Those are unusual brackets. It looks similar to the CB7191, but I'll bet the offset is different. I can't 100% verify that's the problem as I've never used that bracket before. However, if all other components are correct, that's the answer.
Jerkzack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerkzack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2020 at 6:04pm
This is going to be extremely difficult for someone to do with all parts installed on a jeep, but would anyone who's done the gm brake conversion be able to tell me the offset of their Brackets?
I'm measuring from the backside of the knuckle mounting surface to the backside of the Caliper mounting surface and I get approximately 1/2".

1947 CJ2a
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 17>