Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Winching?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winching?
    Posted: 29 July 2018 at 12:41pm
I have a couple of friends that have installed e lockers front and rear and they decided that we had to do a trail out of Lyons Co. We all made it to the top and my 3B just has a powerlock in it. A couple of guys sitting on the tailgates of their Toyota PUs pointing at a frind stranded at the bottom of the hill with a broken front drive shaft. I stood there with Mike and Bob. We all have winches and I am standing there trying to look like I am watching clouds as we figure out who is going to do the job. I know as I am the only one with a PTO and I have the most line on it. I get down there and I get set up and I am 20 feet short. His friend is walking down the hill with a chain and a tow strap over his shoulders and his feet go out so he slid 20 feet down the hill on his butt. You know when not to laugh. I spent over an hour winching that guy up the hill. I sort of backed myslf into a hole as I just wanted to find the best way to get the guy up the hill. I was sitting there and I saw my neighbor heading down the hill with his winch line. We got my Jeep up and Mike was smart enough to leave enough room for my Jeep and the PU I had been winching on at the flat spot.
The guy jumped out with his wallet and wanted to hand me some bucks. I have never taken any money from anybody for a winch job. All that I wanted was a beer and something to eat. One of my friends walked over later and said that the guys friends kept walking over to try to bum beer and cigarettes from my friends. That left a bit of a sour feeling in my belly.

uncamonkey
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2018 at 1:27pm
People behave poorly all over the place. Here one of the more popular recreation places (actually on Logging co property) is being gated and all access is being closed due to people that can't clean up after themselves and the damage that they do to the environment. 

Once while hunting we stopped to help a guy along the road in a very very low traffic sort of place. He couldn't figure out why he was not getting any fuel. He had just filled up his pickup with three tanks.

Turns out the two saddle tanks were plumbed wrong and the lines had air bubbles in them the mechanical pump couldn't pull through.

So in 85 degree + heat I laid under his pickup for 45 min rerouting his fuel line and getting a prime back to his pump so he could get back to his hunting camp. He did none of the work.

When finished no offer of cash and most annoying no offer of a beer. When there were clearly 4 cases of beer in the camper (his reason to go into town) I mean would it have hurt to make the offer?
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
 Post Reply Post Reply