Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > How to information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

windshield frame to cowl fit question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankenwilly47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: windshield frame to cowl fit question
    Posted: 15 Mar. 2019 at 4:30pm
Hi guys- On a CJ2A can one of you guys tell me if the cowl where the windshield frame/seal sits on is supposed to be flat in the middle or somewhat crowned? Mine's a bit humped side to side in the middle (~1/4") and I just cant get the windshield to sit right on the seal. I'm using an M38 windshield, by the way. Thought I'd ask before I start grinding paint away to see if it's body filler causing the hump.

Thanks for any help!
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2019 at 1:09am
It is supposed to be flat in the middle. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
frankenwilly47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankenwilly47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2019 at 2:58am
Thanks ol' unreliable. Guess i'll grind it down and see what's going on under there.
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2019 at 10:41am
Just a second, you have an original 2a tub and an original m-38 windshield?
Did you modify the pivot area where the windshield attaches? Before you start grinding up the cowl check that first. I’m of the understanding that the 3a type windshields had a different pivot position. I might be wrong on that but see if your windshield sits different when it’s disconnected first.
The other thought is that original body tubs and repop windshields often times have fitment issues....if you have a repop.Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
frankenwilly47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankenwilly47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2019 at 1:24am
thanks for the feedback damar. I've got the adjustable windshield-to-cowl mounts. The only thing I was going to grind was body filler if there was any that was causing the center of the cowl to bow up a bit, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

GloucesterBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GloucesterBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2019 at 12:24pm
i too, am replacing my cowl rubber piece. I notice the corners have gaps. Did the sheetmetal of the windshield rot away? Or, does the rubber piece get fastened up into the inside 90* corner of the windshield frame?

It seems that the rubber strip should hold a curved line to fit the metal cowl of the jeep.

Jerry

'47 CJ2A #96661

Post Reply Post Reply