Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Winter 4x4 Jamboree 2022 - Sand Hollow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 9:51am
Originally posted by mictat2214 mictat2214 wrote:

I for one, wouldn't give one second planning these feats. I loved my CJ-2A way too much to subject it to the possibility of making a mess out of it. 

Perfectly legit attitude. 
One of the main reason I didn’t go for a full restore is that I DID want to do this stuff. 

Originally posted by General Eisenhower General Eisenhower wrote:

Stan, how have those sliders been holding up on you since you've put them on?

Sliders are doing their job pretty well.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 9:52am
That's good to know, you are certainly pushing them to their limit! So whatever I do to it shouldnt be an issue 
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 1:38pm
It takes both (totally original vs mod it hell) to keep the early jeep culture alive. I think most of the "rock crawlers" want to "look" original and others just leave the 2A scene. One such (2A) I met at a Jeep Jamboree in NC with a JPET top... said he had gone to far with mods to be comfortable going back on the 2A forum. Told him to try again. If I had a museum quality jeep I would not beat it up. Of course if non of us beat up their "valuable" old jeeps there probably wouldn't be so many repair parts available for those who want to restore to collectible status. 
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 2:20pm
I'm the same way, if mine was all pretty I'd be scared to take it anywhere. But I like mine just the way it is, looks good, and I can drive it like I stole it!
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
Noah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 2:32pm
Same here, I'm building mine to use but if I found a nicer one, I would probably be going for a full restoration instead.
1952 M38-CDN
Roostre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roostre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 7:41pm
We had a great time at Winter Jambo as usual. Weather was near perfect the entire time.

Saw Jeff and Stan a few times, but never really caught up to shoot the breeze. We ran Fault Line, Michael's Loop, and Double Sammy. Here's a few pics:

The hand-off from one spotter to the next meant she ended up too far to the left and gently laid it over on its fender for some fresh trail scars. (She has many.)

Roostre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roostre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 7:49pm

On Saturdays run at Double Sammy Kandis wasn't feeling so hot so stayed at camp. It was my first time driving a trail in 5+ years. I've always been happy to wrench and photograph the fun.

I managed to twist the front driveshaft off on the "Gatekeeper" (first obstacle). Ended up pulling that YJ back through the dunes as he hunted for a rear driveshaft part. After getting him back I fired up the welder and made a quick tube repair and headed back up to tackle Double Sammy!!

Other than heavier than normal traffic the day went smooth. Caught up to my group and watched a few run the chute. The 5:1 jpet (I like to call them "Bam Bam Gears") worked flawlessly and made the toughest climbs so much easier.

Hope to get back down there soon!

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 8:28pm
Thx 4 sharing Corey! Glad the gears worked out!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
FUN x 4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FUN x 4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 9:42pm
Hello Mike
I’m the fella in Rockford- close enough. I’m diving in really deep looking at the history and discovering lots of folks who enjoy their Willy’s. Very cold here and I’ll have to get a new starter but I got a good source from an M3A1. I posted a picture of my old Willy’s DVD on Facebook then  got a call from Mike Meyers who owns one of the Willys in the promo film made in 1949. 

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2022 at 12:52am
Here’s my video of our 2nd day on The Double Sammy trail.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2022 at 7:13am
Here is a video of our day on John’s trail.

CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
mictat2214 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mictat2214 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2022 at 1:57pm
Hi Bill. Hoping all is well. Yeah, I had a feeling it was the starter. no rebuild? Sorry bout that, but I just never got around to having it taken care of. Laziness I suppose. Nonetheless, I had a really great time over the 32 years that I owned it. Always reveled that it was never mechanically altered. I hope you get the same enjoyment. mike.
FUN x 4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FUN x 4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2022 at 6:59pm
No problem. I’ve started my next project which will leave me an entire drivetrain for spares. I’m doing a Dauntless into a CJ3A and it’s based on the 1963 Hot Rod magazine article. My Jeep buddies are stunned as most including me started with YJ (1988) and newer models. My grandson has already given approval of the new Jeep. My CJ3A I found in Oklahoma has an aluminum harp top which should be interesting. Hope those Nor Easters don’t do too much damage. I’ll post pics as I learn this forum so far just as you have commented pistils pictures us a PITA. Great folks on this forum! 

Bill   AKA. FUN X 4 
Fun times four
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2022 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by FUN x 4 FUN x 4 wrote:

....I’m doing a Dauntless into a CJ3A and it’s based on the 1963 Hot Rod magazine article. 

The December '63 issue?......I was just looking at it the other night, started to post about it then changed my mind. (they were installing a 198 in a '57 CJ5 so didn't think anybody would be interested).....Old school Wink

Edited by rocnroll - 26 Jan. 2022 at 9:45pm
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2022 at 11:45pm
That is a really cool CJ3B. Reminds me of one I should've never sold. Thanks for the pics and video!
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2022 at 12:29pm
Here’s a video of our last day on Plan B. Jake Johnson in his cool Kubota diesel powered flatty and his brother Mike in his awesome International Scout joined us. 

I’ve been having some issues with my video editor, I hope I have it sorted. I’m probably going to go back and reissue my previous vids of this trip due to their bad quality.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12