Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wiring a CJ2A w/ alternator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbivkovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wiring a CJ2A w/ alternator
    Posted: 17 Feb. 2013 at 1:50am
I am becoming somewhat frustrated trying to figure out how to connect a one wire alternator w/ built in regulator to a wiring harness on a CJ2a 12v system. I seem to get confused when connecting to Amp gauge as the tail lights seem to be on at all times. I know it is hard to explain, but if anyone has some photos as to the connections it sure would be helpful. I have researched a lot of schematics, but they all seem to differ and not relate exactly to my situation. I will get back at it tomorrow, any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
dave
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2013 at 2:00am
It sounds like you may have a fault in your headlight switch or you have the switch turned on parking lights while you are hooking it up. I assume you have looked at all the wiring diagrams in Seans post in the FAQ section...
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

dbivkovich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbivkovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2013 at 2:09am
Thanks, I probably have, but will investigate. Thanks again.
Dave
plowpusher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plowpusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2013 at 3:26pm
All I did when I put a one wire on one of my jeeps was to remove the generator and regulator as a unit use a number 10 wire and extend the feed wire from the amp meter to the main alt. out put. the I wired in a charge lamp.  There is a good schematic on the cj3b page you can find a link to it on the links page here at the cj2a home page.
when i grow up i wanna be a kid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbivkovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2013 at 12:37am
Thanks I will try to get on it next weekend- will keep you posted.

Thanks
dave

JeepRoger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2013 at 12:49am
I'll dig up a schematic and post it, but if you have a Delco alternator with built-in regulator, it's pretty easy: The main lug on the back of the alternator goes to the battery. On the top back edge of the regulator there is a connector port with two male blade connectors. The most counter-clockwise blade connector (looking at the back of the alternator) goes through a 12v lamp* and to the ignition switch (to be connected when the ignition switch is ON). The most clockwise blade connector loops back to the main lug on the back of the regulator (the one that goes to the battery).

* This light can be hidden under the dash, or you can show it - up to you. It will light when the alternator is NOT charging and go out when the alternator is charging. (That's not the main purpose of this connection, but a result of it.)  ...R
Roger in California
'46 CJ2A 38503
'47 CJ2A 142084
'46 T3C Bantam trailer
JeepRoger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2013 at 1:07am
Here's diagram... ...R
Roger in California
'46 CJ2A 38503
'47 CJ2A 142084
'46 T3C Bantam trailer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbivkovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2013 at 1:11am
Thanks Roger as soon as I get time I will get at it. 
I'll  keep you posted.
Dave
textrooper11362 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote textrooper11362 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2020 at 4:16am
Can #2 blade go to amp gauge?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote textrooper11362 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2020 at 4:19am
My 49 is converted to 12v. Have done a rewire to start run my jeep. Using reduction starter with 4 post solenoid. Hot her running and drove her tonight. Just not sure how to wire alternator and amp gauge. Any help would be awesome 
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2020 at 5:46pm
  Many have been wired as shown in the posted diagram and it works, but if you want it to work as Delco designed it and use your amp gauge, the wire from the #2 spade should go directly to the positive post on the battery and the wire labeled “battery” should go to the amp gauge. You could connect it to the original “batt” wire that went from the voltage regulator to the amp gauge. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote textrooper11362 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2020 at 9:35pm
Then from amp to lift switch? I am not much of a mechanic just kinda tinkering. But hey got the ole girl running

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote textrooper11362 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2020 at 9:52pm
Meant light switch
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2020 at 10:08pm
  Do you have any of the original wiring, or are you building from scratch?
BW 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote textrooper11362 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2020 at 12:13am
Building from scratch. Converted to 12 vol . Reduction starter with 4 post solenoid on fender 4 position start key. Alternator amp gauge and lights not wire. Cranks runs and drive . 
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2020 at 12:44am
  Well, I hate to be the one to say this, but this has all been covered in great detail many times before. Time for a search. Use the “advanced search” the normal one is useless. Buy yourself a copy of the “Service Manual for Universal Jeep Vehicles”. It has all the wiring diagrams to get you started, and you’re gonna need it anyway. Once you have your basic wiring in, then we (or a search) can tell you what needs to be changed for your key-start switch, your four-post solenoid, and your alternator. I’ll be glad to help you, but I’m not about to try to explain how to run and where to connect each and every wire, one at a time. 
BW 

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2020 at 1:43am
Another tip (advance search is good but sometimes this is just easier for me.....) Go to Google, then just type in what you are looking for and somewhere in the subject if you will just add... CJ2A.....generally the majority of the first Google 'finds' will be from here.....The 2A Page.....I guess technically you could add Page too and that might help, never tried that though.

(all this is written understanding that you already did have CJ2A in your title, just saying if you add it to the Google search box it turns up info here from The Page)

Edited by rocnroll - 21 Aug. 2020 at 4:15pm
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote textrooper11362 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2020 at 2:26pm
Thank you so much. I found some great info. I ll get it all wired and let you know how it turned out. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>