Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > How to information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wiring harness help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cj2awcab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wiring harness help
    Posted: 23 Dec. 2018 at 8:54pm
Help, I left my key switch on and now I don't have anything that comes on, no power anywhere but the battery, what did I burn up?  How do I fix it . Help me in Denver co.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2018 at 10:12pm
Welcome to the page, Cj2awcab!  You're gonna have to run down all the wires with an ohmmeter or test light to find the problem.  Coils and/or points burn up when you leave the key on.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2018 at 11:30pm
A old Jeep has several old wires that can burn out. The points don't seem to be the problem here really. I would check out wiring to the ammeter or the circuit breaker on the back of the light switch first. Everything sort of goes through them first.
uncamonkey
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2018 at 12:48am
We have no idea what the electrical system in this 70-year-old vehicle is like. Is it all original (in good shape or, more likely, not) or has it been modified (or Bubbafied), or completely replaced? Replaced with a correct harness, or some fitsall "Painless" or other product? Does it have a fuse block, fusible link, or other device? Without knowing these things, it is ridiculous to even attempt to make a guess. Maybe all it needs is the cable clamps and posts cleaned. Actually, it probably needs that anyway.    BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Cj2awcab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cj2awcab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2018 at 1:20am
thank you for your replays
It has a new wiring harness with horn on fender harness, I had it to a point where the headlights, parking lights. Tail lights and dash light through dash switch, along with hi lo indicator, all working well.
I tried starting the motor about 3 times then it quit trying to start, I removed it to find the bendix 
seized on the shaft.  I got side tracked with the starter I left the key in the on position. How bad did  screw up leaving the key in the on position?
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2018 at 2:14am
I thought about it a bit and I suppose that if your points are fused together they may be drawing off most of the electrical power. Take the wire off between the distributer and the coil. See if that helps.
uncamonkey
 Post Reply Post Reply